Running apps....HELP

Options
13»

Replies

• Caerphilly75
    Caerphilly75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use icardio, it allows me to map and track both my runs and bike rides.

It never crashes and rarely loses signal.

I use to use Nike GPS+ for run and it pretty good as well.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Run.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    One more reply with another hat on...

I am a software developer and while I primarily develop on other platforms I have messed around with Android a little. GPS is a system service. One app will not get a better signal than others. If they are inaccurate, it is a function of how they relate all the data points and correct when they have more. Consumer grade GPS chips are not super accurate but good programming algorithms can correct that given enough data and some reasonable assumptions (like you are not moving around erratically). However, if you are not getting GPS at all, that is a function of the unit and/or your location an/or buildings/trees/weather/etc blocking satellites and another app won't get a signal either. If two apps are both getting GPS data and one is more accurate, that is a good comparison and it is a better app. But if one doesn't seem to pick up GPS, that is not the app's fault (assuming it does work sometimes).
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Endomondo simply brilliant
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I became a very serious runner and ended up buying a GPS watch. It was the Nike with TOMTOM GPS, and it works better than any app I had on my smart phone,

My phone would distract me too much as I was running, so now just using that watch my workouts have felt more enjoyable and more productive.

It was not as much as a lot of the GPS watches out there, but if you walk/run frequently I highly recommend it.

+1

I love my Nike GPS watch. You have the option of using the pod if you run indoors. The watch is pretty accurate.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    One more reply with another hat on...

I am a software developer and while I primarily develop on other platforms I have messed around with Android a little. GPS is a system service. One app will not get a better signal than others. If they are inaccurate, it is a function of how they relate all the data points and correct when they have more. Consumer grade GPS chips are not super accurate but good programming algorithms can correct that given enough data and some reasonable assumptions (like you are not moving around erratically). However, if you are not getting GPS at all, that is a function of the unit and/or your location an/or buildings/trees/weather/etc blocking satellites and another app won't get a signal either. If two apps are both getting GPS data and one is more accurate, that is a good comparison and it is a better app. But if one doesn't seem to pick up GPS, that is not the app's fault (assuming it does work sometimes).
    This is good info. Thanks! (The reasoning you mentioned is why I prefer MapMyRun - The GPS was more accurate, for me at least)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I use the NIke+ app, its free and i dont even use the little thing that goes in the shoe. It's not needed. If you are outside running, your GPS should clock you correctly.
    If you are on a treadmill, you may need to get an arm band to track movement/motion.

I also use mapmyrun.com and its accurate.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use the adidas app (micoach). I like that it lets you track your mileage, pace, time and calories. It also lets you create and track a specific training program tailoed to your needs.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I would suggest if your serious or you get more serious about running consider investing in a GPS/HRM you can pick up some cheaper models but again it is quite the investment vs a Free App.
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just started to use the Nike Running app (free!) and I love it! It tracks everything: distance, pace, etc., and you can get achievements and share with your "friends" on the app. Pretty fun. You have three options though to place your device: handheld or on your right or left arm using an arm band. Get an armband, it's easy to wear and comfortable and you don't have to worry about holding it. Good luck!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I use cardio trainer and it's always been pretty good!
  • njbuesing
    njbuesing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use iSmoothRun on my iOS device (iPhone 5) and then export it to Runkeeper.

+ iSmoothRun has a GPS mode (for running outside) and a Pedometer mode (for running on a treadmill). This way I can keep track of all my running with one app (most of the other apps are GPS only)

+ It exports the data to other services easily (i.e. Runkeeper, MapMyRun, Movescount) as well as to email or even dropbox. I can easily to to all of my GPX/TCX data.

+ I use it to track my shoe milage (you can select the shoes you are using for a run).

+ I can sync my bluetooth HR monitor, and the HRM data is used when determining calories burned for the workout (more accurate than RunKeeper, that does not use HRM data for calculating burned calories)

+ If you are so inclined, you can set up various interval training scenarios and use the audio queues to follow the training.

I use to use Runtastic, but over the winter I wanted to find something that also had a pedometer mode, and came across iSmoothRun, and never been happier. I export to Runkeeper, so I can track my activities easier on the web. I import my Withings scale data, Fitbit data, and Runkeeper data into another iOS app (TactioHealth) so I can keep track of all weight, steps, and activities all in one place.
  • cpuag01
    cpuag01 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have used Runkeeper and CardioTrainer (Android phone) for 2+ years, now. I started out with MapMyRun, but (at the time) it didn't provide me with the information that I wanted. In the beginning, I relied more on CardioTrainer, but over the course of time, I would have to say that Runkeeper is the better app. I just keep using both in case of failure, which has happened, but only a couple of times (over the whole time I have used them).

Both can incorporate HRM data, as well, but I do not own a monitor at this point in time.

I would say give Runkeeper another try, and watch out for accidental "button" presses. I use an arm band, and have rarely had GPS problems with Runkeeper. Can't say the same for CardioTrainer, so I may drop it soon, as it seems to be getting worse in that respect.