why are there so many bulky weightlifters?

Options
people will say they dont do cardio because weightlifting is good for fat loss but i see a lot of guys who have a lot of muscle AND body fat. no muscle striations (sp?) at all
who wants to look bulky? i dont understand why the guy built like a monster truck doesnt want to do cardio to burn that excess fat
but he will lift weights day in day out

Replies

• 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    everyone lifts for different purposes.. like body builders vs powerlifters.. most are completely different build.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I do very little cardio 2-3 times a week. I'm not bulky. I lift 6 days a week...

Bodybuilding is such an art that its often misunderstood. There are certain competitions out there that allow Steroids and this is probably why you are thinking of "bulky"

This is a NATURAL body building site in which they will drug test you. These competitors are not bulky =)

http://www.thenaturalmusclenetwork.com/
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Could be they are at the end of a bulk and getting ready to cut? Mind. Blown.
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Some people actually want to look that way.
    Some people actually hate cardio or not interested in it and prefer lifting weights.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As much as I just want to sit back and watch the heads explode..........

It's pretty well established that exercise alone is not going to make you lose fat. There are a lot of overweight people on the treadmill every day as well.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just wannna be strong and seriously don't care what some people think cause they could easily flatten them simply by stepping on them...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You mean that belly they have to balance the bar on? They need that belly.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You're aware that muscle striations and definition has absolutely nothing to do with physical strength or fitness, right?
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    is this a joke thread? because I cant fathom why a girl would want to diet and do cardio, their bums show it for sure.. I want a nice bum from squatting. so just because you cant understand that they may have a different perception of beauty, or not be "there" yet, maybe their bulking and will cut soon. I hope no one at the gym looks at me and says why doesn't she do cardio for her belly when really Im only 2 months in... You don't look amazing in one day..

and why not just worry about you, not where others are in their journey... :noway:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    tumblr_m5tzmeKGd91roc43oo1_500.gif

This is a body builder not a weight lifter.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

That dude was BOTH a weightlifter and Bodybuilder.................................just sayin
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Yes, clearly Arnold never lifted anything... ever.

.1106842829895.Arnold_squat.jpg

arnold-cheating-curls1.jpg

Arnold_Schwarzenegger_powerlifting_deadlift.jpg
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I know right! It's as if all these weightlifting people want to build muscles or something!! Sheesh.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT.

Weight lifting made me so bulky I can't even leave the house.

Avoid at all costs, it'll make you look fat.

Edit : I'm not talking pleasantly plump kind've fat..I'm talking the great escape of Shamu fat. Thank god for my handy shake weights and mini trampoline ;)
  • everesttrek
    everesttrek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Who cares why people choose to do what they do. To each their own.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT.

Weight lifting made me so bulky I can't even leave the house.

Avoid at all costs, it'll make you look fat.

O.o
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Sorry. I did double check on Wikipedia re: Arnold, which focused on his body building career.

My understanding is that body builders do cut a lot more than weight lifters do. They care more about the look than just lifting massive amounts of weight. For example, this guy wouldn't make it at a body building competition: http://www.manassasbarbellclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/yevgeny-chigishev.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    people will say they dont do cardio because weightlifting is good for fat loss but i see a lot of guys who have a lot of muscle AND body fat. no muscle striations (sp?) at all
    who wants to look bulky? i dont understand why the guy built like a monster truck doesnt want to do cardio to burn that excess fat
    but he will lift weights day in day out

can you post pics of what you mean?

because personally the whole "monster truck" look, aka "bearmode" or "builtfat" look, aka built like a brick s#!t house is really hot.

Do you find it hard to believe that some people train for what they can do, as opposed to what they look like?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    people will say they dont do resistance training because weightlifting isn't good for fat loss but i see a lot of guys and gals who have a lot of fat AND no muscle striations (sp?) at all
    who do nothing but cardio day in day out

Fixed it for ya OP...

Also, many reasons someone might want to be "bulky" like that...a lot of power lifters have that kind of body style 'cuz takes a lot of energy to push and pull the kind of weight they are doing. Could also be body builder in a bulk phase getting ready to cut.

Personally, I do cardio for my heart health...I don't do anything intense as it interferes with my lifting progression if I do. Basically jog a couple miles a few times per week and do a lot of walking. Doesn't matter though, I use my diet for weight control and I exercise for fitness.