Need a stress reliever that doesn't involve ice cream.

Options
2»

Replies

• meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Break out a mat on the floor and start doing planks!
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    running, running with music, running in the woods :-)
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You should learn to meditate. It can be done nearly anywhere, and it is meant to slow your thoughts (Everything that is stress is bred through your thoughts).
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'll take a nap. Or a bubble bath. Or a long walk. Writing out my goals also helps. And for the times I need to actually get out of the house, I'll go out driving in search of a good iced tea (helps with cravings for cold treats).
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Try putting your hands somewhere that makes eating difficult, impossible or gross. Sewing/Knitting/Crochet, a bath or the easiest: go outside and start doing something in the dirt. Pulling weeds, scooping dog poop, gardening...Just stand up, walk outside and START before your brain has time to direct your otherwise. I detest gardening, but if a sudden craving comes up that I'm not willing to succumb to, I'll literally walk outside and pull the first weed I see. I tell myself "pull 20 weeds then you can stop." I never do and one thing leads to another and my hands are filthy soon enough. As am I usually. Then I need to shower, change, etc...a good hour or two can pass easily.
    If you don't access to a yard, just go outside and walk, put yourself out of harm's way, so to speak.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. Everything is very helpful.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I watch this. Inspirational

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwvx8n8JaVs
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    eat fruit, knitt, read a book, read success stories, scream, cry, laugh, punch a pillow, hug a cat/dog/child/yourself

I'd definitely make sure the cat/dog/child isn't around while you scream, cry, laugh, and punch a pillow. ;-D

Gotta love your fur babies!
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    is there such a thing?
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I was going to say go for a run, but, since you said other than exercise...

Crank up some good music and jam out
    Play with my dogs
    Have an alcoholic drink
    Talk with friends

I find that going for a run is the best stress reliever for me too.

OP I like to listen to some comforting music, or even (If you are christian) reading the bible.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I play the piano for stress relief but frozen fruit in a blender or food processer with fat free plain yogurt and some Truvia makes a decent ice cream substitute in a pinch!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    *kitten*
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will be any help -- baking tends to be my stress outlet. :ohwell:

mine too. or gardening.
    wish i was a stress-cleaner. my place would be so neat :tongue:
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Running. It's much cheaper than therapy.
  • wanderlustlover
    wanderlustlover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In case you were looking for food substitutions, too:

My go-to 'healthy food sweet treat' became 'cocoa dusted almonds.' Almonds are massively better for you, plus it's high percentage cocoa powder, which is also better for you. It's kind of like getting a candy, except both parts of it are good for you (so long as they are eaten in the right portion of course! <3).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    This always works for me...

halterofilia-300x195.jpg

....then I can have ice cream no biggie...