What Causes NO weight loss when in a deficit???

Options
13»

Replies

• BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs even if the calories are below target. That's why people lose weight faster when carbs are restricted. Increase fat, lower carbs and the weight loss will resume.

Yes, but weight loss still happens when carbs are the way I have them. People don't have to go extreme low carb to lose weight, they just need to go extreme low carb to lose weight fast. right?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Im 5'9" and 155lbs. I was 140 before pregnancy and left my absolute BEST ever!!! Now im 18 months postpartum and here trying to getting smaller!!! Fat loss/muscle built whatever!!! but just smaller...
    Your BMI is 22, you're in great shape! That's pretty ideal :) And bodies change post-partum, since you're still well under having a weight problem and you're at a healthy weight, your body might just like this weight. You look great :)
    Thanks but im looking for 20% bf NOT current 26%. I like to be healthy at my smallest, not my biggest!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Inconsistent logging doesn't help either. There are many days where you have a bad day, then go 2-3 days of no logging at all, then a day of logging 1-2 food items... unless you're keeping track elsewhere, you may be above your TDEE more than you are below it.

This seems the most likely culprit. I went to check your diary and found the same trend. Log accurately and consistently, with a food scale, and see how you get on from there.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    There is only one thing that could cause NO weight loss while in a
    calorie deficit, and is not actually being in a calorie deficit.

That's a little overly simplistic and not at all helpful. Do you actually have a helpful suggestion that may indicate why she's not at a deficit?
  • DirtbikeGal
    DirtbikeGal Posts: 61 Member
    Options

This is completely incorrect and uneducated. I've had several hormone issues that even with diet and exercise AND EATING A DEFICIT, I was unable to lose weight.

Issues that will effect weightloss

Hypothyroidism
    PCOS
    Cushings Disease
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sleep apnea can cause weight gain, which exacerbates the sleep apnea, which creates a self-feeding cycle.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Inconsistent logging doesn't help either. There are many days where you have a bad day, then go 2-3 days of no logging at all, then a day of logging 1-2 food items... unless you're keeping track elsewhere, you may be above your TDEE more than you are below it.

This seems the most likely culprit. I went to check your diary and found the same trend. Log accurately and consistently, with a food scale, and see how you get on from there.

Yes, I just started June 1st with the new logging accurately and hitting macros and cals consistantly....
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    #6 metabolic shutdown due to too much of a deficit for too long. If you're interested, YouTube Biolayne metabolic shutdown

I've been eating 1700cal since February and since eff all for progress, I even took a 1.5 week break from logging and eat whatever in April... then continued with 1700cal. (some days going over - definalely 2 days for sure) then June 1st Ive decided to cut to 1500cals and cutting out bread, pasta and rice. (i was always having wholegrain, but still). so im onto day 3 with under 100gram carbs a day and its okay but i really have to plan meals ahead to stick with this plan.

for your situation that sounds like a good plan.

Take pics/measurements

And when people drop carbs they will lose a lot of water weight (short term).

You may find this useful.
    http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/dont-rely-on-the-random-number-generator/
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    you sound just like me.

same height, same calories.

found that increasing from 1500 to 1700 has made no difference.

found that low carb, carb cycling, higher carb - whatever doesn't work.

found that working out less - working out more- hasn't made a difference.

just had a ton of blood work done. found out i'm hypoglycemic with thyroid issues. now on medication, hoping for the best.

the only difference is in the way my clothes fit. the scale goes up and down two or three pounds but i haven't lost in a YEAR and i've tried everything! it gets so disheartening. especially when you work your *kitten* off to try everything.

4theking is the dude to know on here- he's given me some great suggestions and i'd be lost without him. just started changing my diet and taking different supplements. SO we will see how it goes.

i'm with you!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

This is completely incorrect and uneducated. I've had several hormone issues that even with diet and exercise AND EATING A DEFICIT, I was unable to lose weight.

Hypothyroidism
    PCOS
    Cushings Disease

You are talking about medical conditions there though. I think the poster that wrote the quoted bit, meant when there were no medical conditions present.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

Hypothyroidism
    PCOS
    Cushings Disease

You are talking about medical conditions there though. I think the poster that wrote the quoted bit, meant when there were no medical conditions present.

Unfortunately, I have Type 1 diabetes and Hypothyroidism. Both controled but diabetes is so retarded and up and down blood glucose for no reasons sometimes.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i'm sure there's any number of medical conditions that may make weightloss more difficult and/or complicated.

i'm quite certain there is no medical condtion out there thats going to magically force your body to retain mass if your flat out not eating.

there should be some happy medium for health weight loss in there somewhere.
  • thedietguru
    Options

Worst advice ever.
    If you're not refeeding, do that first. Second... reverse diet and maintain hundreds more calories a day for a few weeks. Then, carb cycle and get at least 300g carbs every fourth day.

Leptin looks to be a major player in your problem.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Worst advice ever.
    If you're not refeeding, do that first. Second... reverse diet and maintain hundreds more calories a day for a few weeks. Then, carb cycle and get at least 300g carbs every fourth day.

Leptin looks to be a major player in your problem.

Lmao
  • keithgoode
    keithgoode Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation before where it was seemingly mathematically impossible for me not to lose weight. And yet, I wasn't.

As mentioned before, it could be that you're not actually in deficit. The stupid body is a tricky thing. If you stay at a consistently lower calorie intake for a long period of time, your body will just simply lower the basal metabolism rate to match the intake. Gotta love evolution. The way to beat that is to simply raise the metabolism. I say simply, but this involves building muscle, which isn't terribly easy. Add weights to your regimen, if you haven't already. I did, and my weight started plummeting.

Secondly, there are some new studies about prolonged deficit eating and mixing in days where you increase your intake to what your metabolism should be. So, for every 2 or 3 days you spend in deficit, spend a day at normal.

Another option that you might want to consider is splitting your meals across 6 to 7 times per day. Sure, ultimately, it's all a matter of calories in and calories out, but I've heard for years that eating every 2 hours will keep your metabolism stable and boosted.

Just some thoughts from a fellow dieter who has hit roadblocks in the past. Good luck!
  • thedietguru
    Options
    I was in a similar situation before where it was seemingly mathematically impossible for me not to lose weight. And yet, I wasn't.

As mentioned before, it could be that you're not actually in deficit. The stupid body is a tricky thing. If you stay at a consistently lower calorie intake for a long period of time, your body will just simply lower the basal metabolism rate to match the intake. Gotta love evolution. The way to beat that is to simply raise the metabolism. I say simply, but this involves building muscle, which isn't terribly easy. Add weights to your regimen, if you haven't already. I did, and my weight started plummeting.

Secondly, there are some new studies about prolonged deficit eating and mixing in days where you increase your intake to what your metabolism should be. So, for every 2 or 3 days you spend in deficit, spend a day at normal.

Another option that you might want to consider is splitting your meals across 6 to 7 times per day. Sure, ultimately, it's all a matter of calories in and calories out, but I've heard for years that eating every 2 hours will keep your metabolism stable and boosted.

Just some thoughts from a fellow dieter who has hit roadblocks in the past. Good luck!

Precisely... exactly what I alluded to above this post (except for stretching meal times out. meal frequency means nothing).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if someone can list the things that could cause NO weight loss while in a calorie deficit. The ones I know are:

1) Thyroid issues
    2) Not logging accurately

Both of those could result in you not being in a deficit when you think you are.

1) means that all the online TDEE guesstimators will be even more out than normal, so getting a measurement of RMR would perhaps be helpful.

Finding the point at which you start to gain weight (by increasing food intake) may be a way to establish your actual TDEE.
  • runningcats
    runningcats Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes, but I am hypothyroid, and I can tell you that your doctor may say that your numbers are "in the right range" and you can still not be correcting that issue for you. I was on the low-side of the scale (at .5), and after doing a "second generation test" - my doctor said I was normal. But - I wasn't feeling good and I wasn't losing weight - the opposite, in fact. I read studies that show the so-called normal range that most labs/clinics use (.5 - 5.5) is actually too wide, and especially for women, the range should be more like 2-3, when measuring your TSH. Also - there's another test that can be done to see how effective the T3/T4 conversion is. And - it is really important to check your TSH, T3/T4 annually, or after major life events (like pregnancy). Our bodies change over time - what was good last year for controlling your thyroid may not be good this year. Other hormonal changes, stress (hormones in that), pregnancy, surgery, etc. - can all impact how your metabolism works --- or doesn't.

Once I got into the 2-3 range, my weight started dropping. Mind you, it isn't fast at all. But it is going in the right direction. And I have had to adjust my meds over the years - sometimes upping it, sometimes lowering it - all to keep it in the range that allows me to feel good and have more control over my metabolism (and weight loss).

The kicker to all of this: as women, *all* hormones in general will have a huge impact on our weight. I'm in menopause, and I can tell you that weight loss is infinitely more difficult now. It doesn't seem like you're in that same situation but your hormones are probably having a big impact with the diabetes and thyroid issues rolled into one.

I've had to be extra diligent about tracking my food during weight loss periods - and learn how to eat correctly to maintain. That's because "free food" that I used to ignore is no longer free. C'est la vie.

I'd say - go back and talk to your doctor about what is happening (or what isn't) and ask to explore other options of why you aren't losing. Be certain that it isn't your thyroid or diabetes (or some other medical reason).

Good luck!