40 grams fiber per day?

Options
nminden
nminden Posts: 55 Member
I just read on Dr. Weil's site a recommendation of working up to 40 grams of fiber per day. This was in an article about an antinflammatory diet. When I checked it out on a few other sites there was a huge range of recommended fiber. For excellent weight loss, 35 grams was recommended several times.

Any insights/experience out there on such a high fibre count?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    might be a challenge to get that high. Stock up the bathroom with paper and reading materials.

I haven't seen any science around weight loss as a function of fiber per se, some stuff about appetite suppression etc so it may help.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    40 grams is high? I routinely get over 60 grams of fiber per day. I've been a vegetarian my whole life, so I guess I'm used to it. I can't imagine eating less than 40 grams per day!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    40 grams is high? I routinely get over 60 grams of fiber per day. I've been a vegetarian my whole life, so I guess I'm used to it. I can't imagine eating less than 40 grams per day!

average is about 15, but there won't be that large a proportion of vegetarians in there.
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    10-20 is about what I normally get in I couldn't imagine aiming for 35/40 or more :noway:
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    40 is a great recommendation...though anything above 75 and you may feel really bloated, and there could be some nutrient malabsorption issues.

I absolutely have to get 40 a day...it's actually the only other thing I track in my diet besides my macronutrients. Some great sources:

Apple/Pear/Peach/Other Handfruit Skins
    Green Leafy Veg
    Pineapple
    Fiber focused cereals
    Fiber extracts that you can basically chug like a protein shake. (though I wouldnt recommend getting your fiber in a drink).
    Lentils have insane amounts of fiber....like the ratio of proteins to fiber in some are 2 to 1. 1 small serving can yield 9 grams.

Getting 40 is not hard. Eat a balanced diet!
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    I usually get between 40-60 grams of fiber a day.... but be careful, not all fiber is equal!!! My quest protein bars have 17-19 grams of fiber and do not give me gas but if I have ONE fiber one bar I am bloated and farting like crazy!! get your fiber from veggies and fruits..
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different. If I only ate 15 grams of fiber per day, I would be horribly stopped up. I need at least 25 grams a day just to stay regular. My usual range is 30-60 grams per day. Though 60 is a bit much, even for me. Another reason to eat more fiber: It helps you feel more full for longer by slowing down the time the food leaves your stomach and moderating blood sugar spikes/crashes. If you want to increase your fiber, I would recommend doing it gradually so your body can get used to the change. Great sources I eat regularly:

spinach
    bell peppers
    steel-cut oatmeal
    legumes (black beans, kidney beans, lentils, etc.)
    apples
    berries
    almonds
    high-fiber granola/protein bars (I like Fiber One)
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I am a mostly vegan and I get about 30 on a bad day and 50 on a good day so I wouldn't want to go back to 15 grams. I feel much better but you need to make sure you drink plenty of water! I drink about 4 liters of water a day. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Another 30-50g person here. I find above 50 painful, but below that is not an issue if you drink enough water.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I put my minimum at 35, but prefer to get 40 or above. I just switched my macros to 35% carbs though so I'm running closer to 40 than the 50-60 that I was closer to at 45% carbs. Lots of veggies, always whole wheat/whole grains, apples and pears are awesomely high fiber also! I'm definitely not a vegetarian but I still get plenty of fiber :) Also adding chia seeds/ground flaxseed to things like yogurt helps to give a nice boost :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    10-20 is about what I normally get in I couldn't imagine aiming for 35/40 or more :noway:

Likewise - I get about 9-10 grams a day...from the teaspoon of chia seeds I eat with my greek yogurt....
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    ...feeling for that uninformed person who's gonna say "someone on the internet said 40 g of fiber is needed for weight loss, I should up my intake of fiber one bars and benefiber"
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    ...feeling for that uninformed person who's gonna say "someone on the internet said 40 g of fiber is needed for weight loss, I should up my intake of fiber one bars and benefiber"

fiber doesn't have much to do with weight loss. that's all calories and exercise. the fiber recommendations are for a plethora of other health benefits. not to mention the inherent assumption that a diet high in fiber correlates with a diet rich in micronutrients, and minerals.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I get around 25-30 a day. I make a point of eating things with fiber in them, even if it's only a little, it adds up at the end of the day. I also take psyllium husk powder in the morning, which is a great way to get in your fiber from a natural product.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    My nutritionist told me to aim for 40 grams a day (as part of a three-pronged strategy to reduce my cholesterol). I started a thread on here recently about getting 30+ grams per day of fiber and got all sorts of helpful responses -- you might want to search for it and see if you can find it. (I'm relatively new to the message boards and don't know how to link to an older thread.) As a result of some of the ideas people gave me, I'm now hitting 30+ almost every day. Next step for me will be to aim for 35...then I'll work on 40. Good luck and feel free to add me if you want. I definitely see a big difference in how full I am when I have a higher-fiber day.
  • valentine2032
    Options
    I maintain about 40-60 grams of fiber daily and eat a lot of food for my age, height and weight. I am 4'11", 112 pounds and 81 years old. I only swim and walk on treatmill 2x week but stay busy and walk and stand a lot. I am on NO medication and really believe its the way I eat. My diet consists of lots of grains, pasta, etc., whole grains in bread, rice, etc., lots of fiber, low fat but not NO fat, only use the good fats like olive oil and measure it when cooking. I have been able to maintain this weight for 10 years with the high fiber and it is the only change I made except to quit the evening wine. Here is a secret for those who love pasta and want to increase their fiber.

fibergourmet.com sells all kinds of delicious white special pastas made with a resistant starch that are only 130 calories for 2 oz. and 18 grams of fiber!!! This is comparing to WHOLE grain pastas which would be 210 calories and only 4 gms fiber for the same amount. I eat these pastas in many ways at least 4 x a week.

Another secret is their crackers - which are delicious in little bag like wheat crackers - one bag is only 75 calories and 10 grams of fiber ( regular is 150 cal/1 gm. fiber) I love the cinnamon for snack, the regular for tuna salads, etc.

So if you just eat a portion of pasta, large veggies and small meat portions and eat 1 pk of crackers a day, you already have
    28 gms. of fiber, not counting your veggies or anything else. Try it - you will LOVE IT.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get > 40 some days, though most days are in the 30's. Beans are great source of fiber and probably my biggest source. Nuts, vegetables, fruit and whole grains all contain fiber to varying degrees.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

That's a scary thought.......

Fiber is something that should be increased SLOWLY.
  • valentine2032
    Options
    Good for you!! When I discovered large amounts of fiber, it was like magic had happened. I eat very well,splurge occasionally on a doughnut w/ coffee or something I love ( at least once a week) nibble a lot and since I do like grazing, am able to also help with weight maintenance because if you eat every 2 hours, even if its an apple or pack of the crackers I mentioned, you will lose more weight, since your body won't go into the starvation mode. Check that out online.

Now as for the fiber and how to get it easily.

If I am having rice or some other lower gram grain for dinner - then I make sure to have as a snack a bowl of Kellogs Brand Buds which are delicious, have 13 grams fiber per 1/3 c and only 60 cals. I have this with the almond milk that is only 30 cal/cup and some splenda.

Another way to get the added fiber on a low fiber day if you like a sweet snack, is Kellogs Fiber Bars - at 140 cal/10 gms. fiber

Four times a week we have a medium sized bowl of 1/2 oat brand and 1/2 oat meal w/ flax meal added. 6 gms. For two of us I use 1/2 cup of the mixed oats and 2-1/2 cups water, 2 TBS flax meal and simmer till thick. You can add anthing else you like, such as a few walnuts or raisins. 1 Tsp brown sugar is enough for me.

Buy the Orowheat Double Fiber English Muffins - they are 8 gms of fiber and only 100 calories and delicious with a fried egg on top.

Beans are very high - about 8-10 per 1/2 cup. I make a lot of recipes with bean stews, salads, topped on salads, hummus, etc.

A good turkey ground meat sauce over the pastas is wonderful - throw on a handful beans for extra fiber and flavor:-)
    these are just a few of my suggestions - but DO check out the fibergourmet.com for their products - its saved my life. I can attest that high fiber and other diet changes is wonderful for your health. All of my blood work and tests come out perfect every year and I am 81 years old and feel 50.

I hope this helps many of you - it sure did for me.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    eat a bunch of fruits and vegetables and you'll definitely get more than enough fiber. I hit 40 on a regular basis, not every day, but often.

and as someone mentioned, it's great for an appetite suppressant. As an example, if I'm at my limit for the day and I start to get peckish, I'll grab a cucumber and just get it in my belly. Then I feel full and lose the craving. It's the fact that fruits and vegetables are full of water and fiber, they are quite filling. Just look at the physical volume of 200 calories worth of vegetables compared to 200 calories of other foods and it's easy to see how the help you lose weight.