hair loss with 1200 calories

Replies

• MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Hair loss is a sign of malnutrition. Your "healthy" diet seems devoid of fat and protein. Processed grains are not necessarily the healthiest food to base your entire diet on. And, eat more food.

Did I mention fat!? Eat animals (fish are animals too), eggs, avocados, coconuts, ghee, etc. You need some nutrients desperately.

Hi it isn't ALWAYS a sign of that though and she could have other things going on she should really see a doctor.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    *blink*

Well, if it started to fall out when you started starving yourself, I think the causation is pretty clear.
    starvation??? LMAO :laugh: 1200 calories is not starving. What an insult.

1200 calories is breakfast on some days....it's for the birds and if you're not at least NETting to 1200 it is likely you are not getting proper nutrition...lack of proper nutrition = malnutritioun = starving your body. "Starving" has nothing to do with whether you feel hungry or not....

Most women can eat far more and still lose weight at a decent clip...unless you're 4 ft nothin' and 80 years old you should be able to eat more. But whatevs...enjoy.
    1200 calories is breakfast? did you ever wonder how you got to be overweight...?? that might be your answer.

Totally wrong. Please educate your self on calorie consumption and how your body uses it.

The reason some people lose on 1200 calories is because they have ruined their metabolism from under eating. Eating a "normal" amount of food that they SHOULD lose weight on makes their weight go up. Eating at your TDEE for an month or two can help to repair your metabolsim so you can eat more and lose.

I'm proof.. I lost 50lbs in a short amount of time when I started here 2 years ago. I was averaging 1000-1200 calories a day. I plateaued for MONTHS and 30 of that 50 came back on as quickly as I lost it. Eating about 2000 calories a day now (20%) cut from my TDEE and feel better than ever. FUELING my body rather than depriving it makes me more successful, makes me stronger and makes me look better.

My favorite analogy: Is a furnace going to burn better/longer with limited fuel or lots of fuel?
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    *blink*

Well, if it started to fall out when you started starving yourself, I think the causation is pretty clear.

:noway: Based on TDEE, her BMR (base metabolic rate), a.k.a. BARE MINIMUM FOR BASIC SURVIVAL & ORGAN FUNCTION is 1446 calories. Not an insult.

If she wants to lose weight, she needs to stay at 1200 at most. I'm 5'1" and have had my BMR tested; I can tell you it was barely 1000.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    *blink*

I was waiting for this one. HER HAIR IS FALLING OUT right after dropping her calories. That may be a clue her body isn't getting the nutrients it needs. Just a thought. I mean, I could be wrong.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    *blink*

:noway: Based on TDEE, her BMR (base metabolic rate), a.k.a. BARE MINIMUM FOR BASIC SURVIVAL & ORGAN FUNCTION is 1446 calories. Not an insult.

If she wants to lose weight, she needs to stay at 1200 at most. I'm 5'1" and have had my BMR tested; I can tell you it was barely 1000.

I'm 5'1 and my bmr is higher. I've been losing at 1700 and just upped to 1900. Next month, I plan on trying out 2100.
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    My doctor told me that on 1200 calorie diet...the reason I was losing hair was because of not enough fat in my diet....not because of the low calorie amount. Now I am sure you will find other doctors who say different but that's what mine told me!!

same thing happened to me. see your doctor and, in the meantime, tray adding some healthy fats to your diet. a little extra oil or an avocado here and there are easy ways to do it.
  • rowanwood
    *blink*

So she's you? I had no idea. Excuse me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    *blink*

LOL...my wife is 5' 2" and 38 years old and loses weight grossing 1800-2000 calories per day. Her net is around 1,500-1,600. If your BMR is barely 1000 as tested, it is likely you have an underlying medical condition or have damaged your metabolism through years of yo-yo dieting and/or crash dieting and under-eating.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    *blink*

How do you make it through life if you find that insulting? Like...really?

Edit: joy_joy women like you on mfp are my heroes. I was eating1200-1400 calories a day, and felt awful and depressed and guilty over every little thing. It wasnt until i saw women eating more and excelling at fitness that i was really able to make changes. I've been at 1600-1700 for a month and lost nearly 8 pounds and started working harder and feeling good for the first time since i left the military.

Ahem. That is all. Carry on
  • Cobwellac
    False, I was never a yo-yo dieter and my metabolism is fine, thank you. It takes a lot less calories to maintain someone of my height and weight than it does for a bigger person. I don't know how old the OP is, but there's no guarantee her BMR is 1440 just because the TDEE calculator says so. So, to another poster, no, she's not me, but that doesn't mean generic calculations apply to everyone. Someone else on another post said she had her BMR tested, and like mine, hers was very low.

I guess what I was trying to say is that 1200 isn't too low for everyone.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    My hair has been falling out a little bit since I've been losing weight. There's no bald patches or anything just a little extra on the brush. I definitely am not eating too few cals - I probably average about 1600 per day and I'm always in the red in protein and eat all my fat grams. I think it is common when your body is losing weight and I probably wouldn't worry too much unless you start noticing bald patches or something. I definitely am no expert though but just my opinion.
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    bump
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    *blink*

LOL...my wife is 5' 2" and 38 years old and loses weight grossing 1800-2000 calories per day. Her net is around 1,500-1,600. If your BMR is barely 1000 as tested, it is likely you have an underlying medical condition or have damaged your metabolism through years of yo-yo dieting and/or crash dieting and under-eating.

^^^ this.... I'm 5'1" and I maintain at 1900-2000 cals/day, and I don't do any cardio, just weightlifting 3x a week. I'm currently eating more than that to gain muscle and strength.
  • PikaKnight
    *blink*

How do you make it through life if you find that insulting? Like...really?

Edit: joy_joy women like you on mfp are my heroes. I was eating1200-1400 calories a day, and felt awful and depressed and guilty over every little thing. It wasnt until i saw women eating more and excelling at fitness that i was really able to make changes. I've been at 1600-1700 for a month and lost nearly 8 pounds and started working harder and feeling good for the first time since i left the military.

Ahem. That is all. Carry on

O.O. Wow, thank you!!! I'm glad that I could help someone from my mistakes!!!! :blushing:
  • PikaKnight
    My hair has been falling out a little bit since I've been losing weight. There's no bald patches or anything just a little extra on the brush. I definitely am not eating too few cals - I probably average about 1600 per day and I'm always in the red in protein and eat all my fat grams. I think it is common when your body is losing weight and I probably wouldn't worry too much unless you start noticing bald patches or something. I definitely am no expert though but just my opinion.

Are you going by MFP's default of 15% on the protein macro?
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Because 1200 calories is way too little for most people - you're starving, so your hair is falling out!
    sounds legit.

i wonder why all the starving children in africa have no hair...oh wait

Ever been to Africa? Ever held on of those babies in your arms? I already know the answer, its NO, you haven't. Know how I know you haven?. Because of your ignorant comment. Well I have been there, more than once and I have held those babies in my arms and hair loss is just one of many problems those malnourished children have. You really need to think before you take a reach like this to justify your position.

Interesting how babydiego responded to every single comment in this thread except this one...embarassment or just more ignorance?
  • susuassi
    susuassi Posts: 1 Member
    you need oil in your diet
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Eat more protein and fat.
  • Cobwellac
    For those of you telling OP she's starving herself at 1200 and she can go way higher, read this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777877-i-had-my-bmr-tested-it-s-1032-calories. Eating over 1200 doesn't work for everybody.
  • rowanwood
    For those of you telling OP she's starving herself at 1200 and she can go way higher, read this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777877-i-had-my-bmr-tested-it-s-1032-calories. Eating over 1200 doesn't work for everybody.

So she's this person instead?

Let's be honest here. A BMR that low is not common. Her hair is falling out. How does this lead you to "keep up the good work!"?