Eating back exercised calories VS not: Which worked for you?

Options
So I'm getting conflicting advice. MFP wants me to eat back my calories I burn from exercise, but my personal trainer is telling me to stick to 1200 calories per day regardless of exercise. He said if I'm hungry after a workout, the only thing extra I should eat is a protein bar.

I've been seeing my trainer for a year and I've been following this for the most part. In a year, I've lost 20 pounds (170-150) but I constantly see people who have been following MFP for the same amount of time as me and have lost SO MUCH MORE. I can't help but wonder, has my weight loss been slow because I've been sticking to 1200?

At the same time, I have read that some people have claimed not eating back their workout calories, like I've been doing, has worked well for them.

So everyone! What has worked best for you? To eat, or not to eat?

Replies

• blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    He might be telling you that so that you would continue to need his services. Does your trainer realize that the app you use already has a deficit built in and that you should at least eat back some?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Why are you listening to a fitness trainer for nutritional advice?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Edit: Since it's been made quite apparent that people can't be bothered to actually go to a link that is posted I'll give a simple answer here.

MFP assumes you're not going to do any exercise so it gives you a calorie goal with a deficit already built in. So you'll lose weight even without exercise. When you exercise, you further increase that deficit to a possibly unhealthy level. Fuel your body.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I eat them back. I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I didn't. I can guarantee no one would want to be around me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    With less than 15 pounds to your goal, I'd eat way more than 1200. I'd set your weekly goal to a half pound a week and eat most of your exercise calories.

When you're close to your goal, the scale doesn't really matter much. You could achieve your goal body long before you achieve your goal weight if you're eating and exercising right, because you'll be retaining more muscle mass and losing more body fat.
  • juliannorton1000
    juliannorton1000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends is schooling to become a personal fitness, and I had the same conversation with me; mind you, he is in shape, if that matters.

The only thing I could truly come to an understand is this (and its fairly straight forward)...

If you don't eat, you wont have energy. If you don't have energy, you wont work as hard at the gym. If you don't work as hard at the gym, you wont lose weight -as fast- as you might want to.

I just think of myself as a machine, in that respect. I need fuel so that I keep trekking. Of course, you need to be feeding yourself at least 'decent' to 'ok' food. Putting dirty fuel in your machine wont let the gears run smoothly either.

Hard cash for Hard Work!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've done both, and both work.

The approaches are different, but the ultimate goal should be the same - a healthy, sustainable calorie and macro intake.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I try to only eat back 1/2 of my exercise calories, but sometimes eat all of them. If I didn't eat at least some I would be starving!
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat some of them back, MFP tells me to eat 1,420 a day but I generally eat around 1,500-1,800 but I burn 200-1100 cal a day
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I tried that and it just backfired on me. It was ok at first then I felt like crap My weight loss wasn't so great either. I eat them back 1200 calories a day is not realistic for the rest of my life. I am also afraid if I go that route, the second I get the weight off I will go back to my old habits because it was so restrictive. That's just me though.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Totally eat then back unless you are not hungry.
    I usually use my excursus calorie for extras, like wine.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I tried eating 1200 and not eating my exercise calories and I couldn't function. I was cranky, my workouts were lame, etc. I started eating my exercise cals back but still only hitting 1500 calories total and eventually I was cranky and weak.

Now I eat 1800-1900 regardless of my exercise (i'm usually pretty constant so it evens out) and just follow the TDEE - 20% idea.
  • Susan0279
    Susan0279 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of them and so far this has worked for me. Last night I earned 800 calories from exercise I ended up eating over 200 of them.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I've been on a weight loss effort for two months and have lost 19 pounds. Sometimes I eat my exercise calories back, but mostly I don't. I eat if I'm hungry. Try different things and see what works for you.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    When I first started on MFP I did not understand. Was only eating 1200 calories a day, felt terrible, was always hungry and could hardly make it through my workouts. After reading the forums I started eating back my exercise calories. It worked for me. Plus it is a sustainable lifestyle. I could not live on 1200 a day.
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I do both, eat and not eat. I typically work out 6 days a week and burn 800 - 1100 calories a work out doing spinning and weights. MFP has my calorie goal at 1220 a day. My trainer has told me that I need to consume about 1400 calories a day b/c I am so active. She said that my body need the extra fuel (calories) b/c I am burning so much. I have heard that from other fitness people too.

I don't always eat more. Some days I only eat about 1100 calories and still burn that amount. I eat 5 times a day w/ 3 main meals and 2 snacks so I am typically not hungry so I can't bring myself to eat more just to eat more. On the flip side, there are times where I do eat more than my allotted calories and eat some of my work out calories but I try not to eat all of them back. I may eat 1400-1600 calories in a day if i do that. However, there have been times when I have eaten them all on major cheat days. :)

I have lost 121 lbs in 11 months and am still losing at 1.5 - 2.5 lbs a week average. There are going to be so many different ideas and thoughts on this but I think it comes down to what works best for you and your body. Switch things up and see what works. I have switched things up every few months to make sure my body doesn't get used to things and slow down. That is another thing my trainer told me, make sure you switch it up. I switch up my workout routine and eating. It has worked so far, so I'm going to keep doing it.

This is what has worked for me...I hope it helps! Good luck!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I try to only eat back 1/2 of my exercise calories, but sometimes eat all of them. If I didn't eat at least some I would be starving!

I don't actually "try" to eat them back, but it seems that I usually eat at least some back. I just try not to overdo it! Doing it this way & going to Curves circuit training has led me to a 55 lb. loss.

luck! :-D
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi!

What worked for me:
    Moderate exercise = stick to 1200 cals per day. (If you are hungry, a bowl of veggies only contains 25-50 calories)

Many health professionals advocate that 1200 calories in a day as the lowest caloric intake to stay on a safe and healthy weight loss journey.

I was on a very restrictive diet of 1000 cals per day, but it's not for everyone, and can be quite controversial.

All the best with your journey!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The trouble with "eating back" (I don't BTW) is that you are depending on a bunch of estimates instead of just a general assessment up front (I am going to be active, so my burn will be approximately X). People tend to overestimate exercise duration and intensity. I think that approach is more error prone.
  • KarenE58
    KarenE58 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Like to say thanks for asking the question and thanks for all the answers. I am new to this and I'm trying to find a balance.
  • sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options
    He said if I'm hungry after a workout, the only thing extra I should eat is a protein bar.

Which contains more sugar than protein and costs you a small fortune in the long run. :D