NSV: Fat Girl Does C25K - in Public!

Options

Replies

• zam1955
    zam1955 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You go girl, my congrates to you on your achievement.
    Keep up the good work.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing attitude and SUPER accomplishment and WTG!!!! Keep at it and keep that awesome attitude!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hey! I saw you -- and you know what I thought -- "there goes a runner".

Take a look at pictures of 5ks & 10ks finish line-- look at the finishers & see runners come in all heights, ages, shapes and sizes.

You know what makes a runner? They run.

KEEP IT UP! (there are hundreds here who are cheering for you)
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    That's a great accomplishment. I've never judged anyone I've seen running in public, no matter their weight, speed, etc. I silently congratulate them on being healthy... And tell myself that I need to fit in a run. Honestly, most people are far too self absorbed to even acknowledge someone is out running.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the post on this thread but with my wife and I being a C25K graduate and us helping our best friends through the program as well I can say KEEP AT IT! Its can be hard, it can make you want to just throw in the towel and give up but if you keep at it I promise promise promise it will get easier and easier, your weight will come off, your speed will increase and you will one day think back on the day you first started and have a laugh at how out of shape you really was.

Running has truly changed everything about me. My health is better, my weight is lighter, my migraines don't flare up nearly as much, I'm never depressed, my blood pressure has gotten better, not to mention the love life with my wife is way better.

Feel free to read our blog, we post about our running ups and downs, race reports and what-not. http://therunningnerds.blogspot.com
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good for you! C25K is a great way to get yourself moving. People of all shapes and sizes do it and run successfully in 5K runs. I'm about halfway through myself and am signed up for two 5Ks this fall. I find that having a goal keeps me focused on completing the program. I run on a boardwalk near my home where there are runners of all levels and sizes, which I think is great. I find it very inspiring to see "real" people running, not just athletes.

You have a good place to run and you've taken the plunge and started the program. Now you've got a wonderful, fulfilling journey ahead of you. I think you'll be surprised at what you can do.
  • SusanCanBeThin
    SusanCanBeThin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This fluffy girl does c25k in public, too! Well, I run in my rural community on a quiet road that runs alongside a river, but there are people around. I have never been a runner before. Never even wanted to be, but this bug just caught hold of me and wouldn't let go so I downloaded an app, created a playlist of 80's/90's music, laced up my tennies and hit the road. I started in earnest last week and have decided to stick with the week 1 intervals for this week as well while i focus on my breathing and finding my groove. I am slow as I maintain a short stride (trying to cushion an arthritic knee), but it feels so good to have the ground under my feet and the wind in my hair. :laugh:

Congrats to you on facing your fears of ridicule and getting out there. Just keep running!:bigsmile:
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Check out Enell bras for the endowed lady! A decent sports bra was the only thing holding me back from running (well, at least that was MY excuse) and a friend turned me on to them. I have one now and I love it. I swear by it. No more excuses. www.enell.com

Haha. I'm not "endowed". I wish! :) I wear a 40C right now. Even at my heaviest, I was still a B or C-cup.

That's good feedback for any other heavy ladies who might want to start running, though. I'll bookmark it and pass it along to friends who might want to check them out.
  • melaniewest19
    Options
    way to go! I saw someone running on treadmill about my size, and thought "wow you go girl" the other day, i was in my car she was in the gym. I then went home and ran immediately. Started c25k about 7 weeks ago, im on week 5 though, had to repeat. And i do love it, my neighbor and i run the neighborhood.

Must admit when i see a car coming or someone outside it motivates me, b/c I don't want them to see me stop running before it is time (not that they would know)

Keep it up! Ive got a 20 minute straight run tonight and I'm scared!
  • sorcha1977
    Options
    I started the Zombie C25K program. I had to repeat the first two weeks over again so that I could build up my stamina. I'm now on week 5 and am amazed that, being over weight (losing pounds, thought) and almost 60 years old, I seem to be able to slowly jog for over a half hour. You will be so proud of yourself as you progress.

A friend of mine recommended the Zombie version last night. I found an iPhone version, so I might try that when we get back from our vacation. We're leaving this weekend, so I'm going to have to repeat Week One anyway. I just couldn't wait to try it.

I miiiiiiight do it while on vacation, but my boyfriend reminded me we're going to be walking a lot every day and he'd hate to see me with sore feet and unable to enjoy myself (he said it in a nice way, not an insult, when he saw me hobbling around last night - heh).
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I decided to start C25K. I weigh 296 pounds, and while I don't mind walking around my neighborhood, I wasn't sure about actually jogging.

There is a little track at the intermediate school near my house. It's kind of hidden by the ivy over the fence, and the only people who can see are those who drive by one side and anyone who might be at the playground.

I waited until dusk because I was kind of a chicken.

When I showed up, there were three families on the playground, some maintenance workers on scaffolding along the wall of the school, and two people playing Frisbee with their dogs on the grass inside the track.

/whimper

Well, I figured, "Whatever," and started the walk portion. As it got closer and closer to the first "run" portion, my brain went, "You have to do this. I don't want to do this. They're watching. Oh, who cares? But I might suck. But they might laugh. But they might yell things. Big deal. You've lost so much weight. Ignore them."

Finally, the last couple of seconds ticked down, and my brain finally went, "Oh, EFF IT," and I started jogging.

And it was fun!

Nobody said a word or looked at me (and I probably wouldn't have noticed). I just kept at it, and if anyone was making fun of me, I didn't care. At least I was out there giving it my best and trying my hardest. I ran all of the running portions (slowly, but steadily) and tried to focus on my form and breathing.

Now I can't wait to start Day 2 tomorrow. :) I might even go before sundown. ;)

How awesome are you!!!! I did a running clinic a couple of years ago because I couldn't run half a block without feeling like I was gonna lose a lung! It took me 2 months to learn how to run. Their program is very similar to C25K and it works!!! Good for you! Once you learn to run, you'll learn to love to run! The buzz after is like none other! Keep it the great work!
  • sorcha1977
    Options
    What app did you use? to have the C25K cues on your playlist

The cues aren't on the playlist. If you download "C25K Free" from the Apple Store and turn your music on, you'll see the songs with the little arrows right in the C25K app. That way, you can have the C25K app active and still switch songs if you want.

To find songs that fit the tempo/pace you want, you can check out JogFM. You put in the speed you want (per mile or km), and it'll give you hundreds of songs that fit that pace. It's based on beats per minute. For example, a 12:00 mile is 130 bpm. It helps prevent you from going too fast, as long as you can run on-rhythm. I found that 12:00 was too slow for me; my feet wanted to go more like 11:00 and felt comfortable there, so I'm going to make a new playlist tonight.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That's a big step. Just the first of many steps as you run this program. The first time I tried it, I was going around the lake near my house which is kind of secluded but came across a couple walking their dog just before the timer said to run. I just sucked it up and did it. Didn't hear anyone laughing, the dog was startled though.

If you're not on it, there's a group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k with runners of all levels and I've gotten lots of great advice and tips on it.

And if no one's posted this http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html it's so worth reading. Don't take offense at the title, it's well written and makes me sniffle every time I read it.
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I also started C25K in the 200's! It is so freaking empowering! I am FINISHING up this week. You can do this!
  • Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Great Job. We are doing Run for God at our church which is the same thing you are doing but with a bible study. I have found that I love running. Something I never thought I would. Keep up the good work. Who knows.....you may have stumbled onto something that you love :)
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself for doing it. I run every other night most weeks and enjoy seeing others out running no matter their level or how they look. They are out there doing it and bettering themselves and seeing them run gives me a little boost to better myself and push myself a little harder. My wife just started the C25K so I hear all about the torture. Keep going and you will do great....
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! That was very brave of you....i fear running in front of people myself...im a chicken lol
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Way to push yourself! That is fantastic!
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I read this post earlier today, and I was so inspired to get out and do W1D1. Thank you for the inspiration!
  • sorcha1977
    Options
    I read this post earlier today, and I was so inspired to get out and do W1D1. Thank you for the inspiration!

That makes me so happy! Did you like it?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!