Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

we are not meant to be hungry!

Replies

• Bajiggity
    Bajiggity Posts: 88 Member
    I'm hungry all the time. :tongue: j/k

I feel much better being a little hungry at times than feeling
    that over full way, and I must be doing it right <
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Unfortunately we are also not meant to be fat.

At least not as fat as we are as a general population and in the context of the majority of users of this site.

While I'm all for people doing whatever they can to both remain in a caloric deficit and stave off hunger by whatever various methods they choose, I think the idea that you can diet down to a point of leanness with NO hunger is a pipe-dream.

Do what you can to reduce hunger, but at some point, it's going to happen and at some point and in some contexts the "sack up and deal with it" advice is spot on.

damn ss you beat me to the punch. qft.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member

At least not as fat as we are as a general population and in the context of the majority of users of this site.

While I'm all for people doing whatever they can to both remain in a caloric deficit and stave off hunger by whatever various methods they choose, I think the idea that you can diet down to a point of leanness with NO hunger is a pipe-dream.

Do what you can to reduce hunger, but at some point, it's going to happen and at some point and in some contexts the "sack up and deal with it" advice is spot on.

Agreed, and additionally it's good for your mind/spirit as well as your body to teach yourself that you control your body instead of your body controlling you.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but feeling hungry is not the body's response to needing to eat, its the body's response to not having enough of a certain vitamin or mineral in your system. So feeling hungry and eating 6 Twinkies probably wont do you any good, and that's the problem people that boredom eat face(because they think they are hungry) when getting up off your butt and getting some sun light (aka Vitamin D might be all you need). Just be careful of assuming that feeling hungry means you need to eat, feeling hungry is just your body's way of telling you I need something and it might not be a full meal.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member

^^This. The truth is, most of us in this country could do with a little "hunger" once in a while... The overindulgence and sense of entitlement in relation to consuming and "having it all, all the time" is pretty sickening and has done nothing but lead us down a path of health destruction. Eat, yes, but eat what your body needs, not what your mind desires...that is the tricky part.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    While I don't disagree, I also must point out that, as far as how the human body has developed over time, we're also not "meant" to be in an environment where calorie-dense foods are a few coins and a walk to a vending machine or office snack bar away.

I'm currently only 13 steps and 50 cents away from one of those two-to-go double packs of milky way candy bars and its entire 400 calories.

Combine that with what others have pointed out about how feeling "hungry" may not always denote a need for food, and you have our challenge. Even acting on the same physical sensations, our ancestors used to have to put in a lot more effort to obtain the calories that are incredibly accessible for us, today.
  • joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    I believe a lot of people confuse boredom with hunger. I found when I cut back on carbs and started eating more protein, I could go longer without eating. Too many people fill up on breads, crackers, and packaged snack crap. Stick with the healthy basics and you feel great all day long.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    It's probably already been said, but even more so than "we are not meant to be hungry" and "we are not to be fat" is...

"we are not meant to be sedentary"

I suspect addressing that problem will help with everything else.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Absolutely agree. Hunger is unnecessary. I've lost over 60 pounds with no hunger and no willpower. However, the only way I got rid of hunger AND got healthy was to change WHAT I eat. So that's contrary to what most people say here too. If many of you can eat anything and everything and lose weight, great. I couldn't, but I also don't have to "fill up" on water and gigantic salads to feel full. I eat nutrient dense, satisfying foods. Easy.
  • Unfortunately we are also not meant to be fat.

^^ this is what I thought too. I eat a lot, I am cutting on 2000 a day and I still get hungry before meals. Hunger is a natural thing. It's how you know it's time to eat after all. Hunger is not the enemy. Use it, learn when you need to eat.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    read this little piece of expert advice on another post,

"I know it seems hard and feeling hungry is not a nice feeling, but if you can stick with it you will see the results."

seriously, people! this is not the advice you want! (i'm sure the poster meant well)

we are not meant to be hungry! our bodies were devised to eat and burn. if your eat:burn ratio is unbalanced, you WILL be unhealthy, out of breath, fat, skinny, weak, whatever your issue.

in recap, live a healthy lifestyle and be weary of the advice you choose to follow.

rise and run! :D

If you're in a deficit you will likely be hungry.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member

"I know it seems hard and feeling hungry is not a nice feeling, but if you can stick with it you will see the results."

seriously, people! this is not the advice you want! (i'm sure the poster meant well)

we are not meant to be hungry! our bodies were devised to eat and burn. if your eat:burn ratio is unbalanced, you WILL be unhealthy, out of breath, fat, skinny, weak, whatever your issue.

in recap, live a healthy lifestyle and be weary of the advice you choose to follow.

no it depends on the food.

100calories of fruits or meats would be much more filling than 100 calories of candy.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

If you're insatiably hungry on a deficit, the deficit is too low and you're going to fail in the long run. You can only fight hunger for so long in a society with an abundance of food. It's pointless torture.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    If you are in a calorie deficit and never hungry, something isn't working properly. Hunger is a survival mechanism that helps keep our bodies in homeostasis. The system can be broken by being overweight or undereating for long periods of time. If I was never hungry I would wonder what was wrong with me!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    If you are in a calorie deficit and never hungry, something isn't working properly. Hunger is a survival mechanism that helps keep our bodies in homeostasis. The system can be broken by being overweight or undereating for long periods of time. If I was never hungry I would wonder what was wrong with me!

people here do not understand the functions of satiation and need to stop
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

I am in a 500 calorie deficit and am rarely (if ever) hungry. I am losing weight. My approach is working fine, thanks. Hunger is both psychological and physical, it's not always something our physical bodies use to get more calories.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I can't be the only one who actually enjoys the feeling of physical hunger sometimes. When I was fat, I forgot what it felt like. Now that I don't overeat on a regular basis, and rarely eat to feeling uncomfortable, I kind of enjoy knowing what physical hunger feels like. Not that I let it go very long or enjoy it so much that I don't eat. I rarely eat less than 1500 calories in a day, and many times, I'm over 2000.
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    I'm loosing weight without being hungry, but only because I think about what I'm eating. If I wanted to loose weight fast and while eating a lot of calorie dense food, I'd be hungry all the time.

But I also think the first weeks of learning how to eat better can be hard. Sometimes I used to eat until I was so full that my tummy hurt and I just had to relax on the couch afterwards. I also used to snack all the time. It can be hard breaking old routines and making new healthy ones. So I think it can take som time to adjust and start feeling the difference between hunger and all the other feelings or cravings that made us eat.
  • If you are in a calorie deficit and never hungry, something isn't working properly. Hunger is a survival mechanism that helps keep our bodies in homeostasis. The system can be broken by being overweight or undereating for long periods of time. If I was never hungry I would wonder what was wrong with me!

people here do not understand the functions of satiation and need to stop

A little bit of a sweeping statement there....