Running shirtless...?

Options
What's the ettiquette/rule of thumb for this?

I've been running without a shirt the last week or so since it's getting a lot hotter outside. My wife, however, is mortified that I'm out sweating it up bare-chested. (edit: not bear-chested, not THAT hairy :tongue: )

I see other runners in the area mixed between no-shirts and light tech clothing, so I'm genuinely puzzled about what's socially acceptable.

Replies

• bj1220
    bj1220 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's rather unnecessary unless its like 90+ outside, but really it's your choice. I don't think a certain etiquette exists.
  • fight_for_fit
    Options
    Hey. I say if you're comfortable with it. More power to ya!!
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Tried it. HOA does not approve.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's been in the 90° range or so lately near me, and I'm a cold-weather person by nature.

Acclimating to running in the heat is a challenge for me. :/
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Go for it just don't forget sun cream????
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I've been running without a shirt the last week or so since it's getting a lot hotter outside. My wife, however, is mortified that I'm out sweating it up bear-chested.

Are you bear-chested, like super hairy, and now everyone can see that? Or bare-chested, like a nice, smooth physique? If it's the latter, run without a shirt. If its the former, get some waxing/lasering/shaving done, then run without a shirt.
  • BreeFeelinFree
    Options
    Who cares, if I didn't have boobs I would. I hate sweaty clothes~
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It seems unfair because I cannot run shirtless :wink:

But seriously, I don't think it's a big deal, and other than your wife, I doubt you've noticed anyone noticing.

I wish my hubby could run shirtless. He's as pale as a ghost and gets an icky farmer's tan :sick:
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I play hockey with all dudes, they were all shirtless and sweaty last week. That was pretty gross since hockey is a contact sport. However, running doesn't involve you rubbing up on people (unless you have an extra fun run!), so i say toss the shirt!
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    I've been running without a shirt the last week or so since it's getting a lot hotter outside. My wife, however, is mortified that I'm out sweating it up bear-chested.

Are you bear-chested, like super hairy, and now everyone can see that? Or bare-chested, like a nice, smooth physique? If it's the latter, run without a shirt. If its the former, get some waxing/lasering/shaving done, then run without a shirt.

:laugh:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Go for it just don't forget sun cream????

This. Honestly, I'm too focused on my music/not falling on my face to notice. Unless you have super abs, then I might risk looking up. It can't be worse then some of the guys at the beach with no shirts.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    If you've got it....flaunt it. You worked hard for the body, show it off :drinker:
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Tried it. HOA does not approve.

Must not have any guys on your HOA :)

LOL
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Oh, nobody cares how you look. I've been considering just running in my sports bra lately, as I have definitely been guilty of hiking my tank up over my belly. It's HOT out there!
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hey. I say if you're comfortable with it. More power to ya!!

^^This
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I find the newer moisture management fabrics (name brand, not the cheap ones you get at a 5k) are more comfortable than running shirtless, and you dont need to worry about sun screen.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of tacky, plus we ladies can't run with no shirt on so why should you get to?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Men never wear shirts to run where I live. Except this one guy who wears a button-down linen shirt over his banana hammock. I'd rather he go shirtless and wear shorts, personally.

I run in a bikini top and shorts.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Honestly what ever makes you feel comfortable. As a chick, shirtless is not an option, but I do run in just a sports bra when I get really hot. I tend to over heat easy and it takes me a long time to acclimate to the hotter temps. I do most of my runs on my lunch break (so think middle of day!)...so when I leave the gym I'll wear my shirt, then when I get a mile out (also away from the playground) I will take my shirt off, then I put it back on when I have a mile left to go, but that is because of my work....

There is no real ettiquite..most people won't even notice you and the ones that do most likely won't be paying attention...and no matter what you look like, well at least if you are a girl, you will get some sort of honk or comment...But when I run I run for me, not anyone else out there, so I don't care what they think.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of tacky, plus we ladies can't run with no shirt on so why should you get to?

I think that's totally like calling somebody's t-shirt that they're running in tacky. It's really nobody's business but yours what you wear! Who cares?