Anybody use canned chicken?

Options

Replies

• Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    because nothing says tasty quite like this image... nom

CannedChicken.jpg

Okay this is definitally NOT what my chicken looks like. :)
  • Michaelsdin
    Michaelsdin Posts: 146
    Options
    Seriously chicken in a can?? That sounds gross never seen it before in my life, I don't think I could bring myself to try it either
    I bet if it was made into a dish you wouldn't know unless your pallet is complete organic lol.
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    I don't like canned anything because of sodium. I like to buy the already cooked rotisserie chickens and shred it up to add to recipes and salads. It's quick and easy and healthier :) Just my little tip!

I do this! The "day old" rotisserie chickens are only $4 and the meat you get from it can be used in several different meals. Takes only about 10 minutes to completely clean the bones of meat and then you can either store it, freeze it, or prepare the meals right then in advance.

A nice bonus is they are usually already seasoned, and even though I discard the skin, the flavors from the seasonings are cooked into the meat itself :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

CannedChicken.jpg

thank goodness, because that could make most people lose their appetite.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    Ick. Smells fishy and the clear snotty coagulated jelly puts me over the edge.
    I've used canned chicken (the kind that comes in water like tuna, not in lard or whatever that picture was) before. I just heated up half the can and ate it with wheat bread, and a string cheese. Quick lunch in a pinch.

HAHA.. That picture is DEFINITALLY not what im talking about.. i am talking about the shredded canned chicken that comes in water like tuna... i didnt know they made canned chicken any other way i guess...
  • Marcillene
    Options

CannedChicken.jpg

thank goodness, because that could make most people lose their appetite.

i think it made ME lose my appetite. haha.... id be curious to know if they really make chicken like this... blech..
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ick. Smells fishy and the clear snotty coagulated jelly puts me over the edge.

You like it more than I do.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've made chicken nachos with it - mix the chicken with some fat free sour cream, picante sauce, reduced fat shredded cheese - then add to tortillas or chips -- pretty good:)
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Buffalo chicken dip - best dip EVER (tied for #1 with skyline dip), not so great for the diet, but definitely a crowd favorite.

1 big can (or two depending on how meaty you want it) of Shredded chicken
    1 cup ranch (could use low fat if you want)
    1 box of philly cream cheese (again could use low fat)
    1/2 - 1 cup hot sauce (depending on how spicy you like it. I use 3/4 cup of Frank's Red Hot. Lots of flavor, spicy, but not too hot)
    cover with cheddar cheese and bake until cheese is melty and sides are bubbly.

* I have not made this ^ since I started tracking my food on here (a few months), so I don't know calories, but I imagine it's probably something I shouldn't eat more than a few bites of. It is however the best recipe for canned chicken, and everyone loves it. I have never seen food get devoured so quickly, everytime.

Chicken Noodle Casserole

2 big cans shredded chicken
    Amish egg noodles
    peas
    2 can creams of celery soup (or 1 celery and 1 cream of chicken or cream of mushroom depending on what you like)
    mix together in big skillet to warm all ingredients, put into casserole dish, cover with cheddar cheese, add bacon on top (optional), cook like any other casserole

Shredded chicken sandwiches:

1 can shredded chicken, 1 can cream of chicken soup, cook in skillet, place in buns
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I've made chicken nachos with it - mix the chicken with some fat free sour cream, picante sauce, reduced fat shredded cheese - then add to tortillas or chips -- pretty good:)

this DOES sound amazing!
  • LennieRose
    LennieRose Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are some good ideas for quick lunches here...i think I will try some.
  • Marcillene
    Options

Shredded chicken sandwiches:

1 can shredded chicken, 1 can cream of chicken soup, cook in skillet, place in buns

Never thought of this one! Sounds good!
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Seriously chicken in a can?? That sounds gross never seen it before in my life, I don't think I could bring myself to try it either
    I bet if it was made into a dish you wouldn't know unless your pallet is complete organic lol.
    Lol maybe not but seeing as I cook everything fresh and only ever eat vegetarian out in restaurants the likely hood is nil ????
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I make potato salad with it. I'm addicted to it right now.

1 can chicken
    1 baked potato (peeled and partially mashed)
    1 avocado
    mayo to taste

Works without the avocado too, and very easy for me to make at my office, since I make the potato in the microwave.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I make potato salad with it. I'm addicted to it right now.

1 can chicken
    1 baked potato (peeled and partially mashed)
    1 avocado
    mayo to taste

Works without the avocado too, and very easy for me to make at my office, since I make the potato in the microwave.

OOOH YUM!!! Definitally something to try..!!
  • cechapman10
    cechapman10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I add it to Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown Rice along with frozen peas. I also use it and whole wheat pasta to make an easy chicken salad to pack for lunch.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Buffalo chicken dip.

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup blue cheese or ranch salad dressing
    1/2 cup FRANK'S® REDHOT® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce or FRANK'S® REDHOT® Buffalo Wing Sauce
    1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 cans (12.5 oz. each) SWANSON® White Premium Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained
    DIRECTIONS:
    HEAT oven to 350°F. Place cream cheese into deep baking dish. Stir until smooth.
    MIX in salad dressing, Frank's RedHot Sauce and cheese. Stir in chicken.
    BAKE 20 min. or until mixture is heated through; stir. Garnish as desired. Serve with crackers or vegetables.
    NUTRITION FACTS:
    Serving Size 1/16 of recipe
    Calories 144
    Fat 11.2 g
    Saturated Fat 4.7 g
    Carbohydrates 2.5 g
    Fiber 0.3 g
    Protein 7.8 g
    Cholesterol 36 mg

Awwm already posted. OH well, more love for this delicious dip.
  • BJAdW
    BJAdW Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dump it in a skillet with white rice and black beans. Mix until warm throughout. Add some tapatia sauce, a dollop of light sour cream and serve in a whole wheat wrap. My wife and I love them!!
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Hormel now makes a low sodium canned chicken breast. It's not bad if I'm being lazy. I used it today to put in a quesadilla.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have used it but as many posters have already said, there's way too much sodium. Instead I like to take a bag of the frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts and throw them in the crock pot with a couple of onions, some carrots, celery and a couple of cloves of garlic and about 2 quarts of water. Cook on low 4-6 hours. Pull out the meat and divide up into whatever portions you want and freeze for later use (it will keep 4-5 days in the fridge if you just want to eat on them all week. Strain and keep the liquid - homeade low sodium chicken stock! This can also be frozen to be used later. For even better flavor, add some herbs like parsley and basil to the crock pot before cooking.