Anybody use canned chicken?

Options
124»

Replies

• barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I used to use it a lot for chicken salad, and in enchiladas-mexican food in a hurry. Over a big pile of raw greens with whole grain on top and the chicken -whatehttp://www.myfitnesspal.com/forumsver other veg-huge lunch salad.

FWIW-I now just buy boneless skinless and crock them with a little water-better texture and you can control the salt. I still like the canned kind, but it's more expensive and I've gotten into the habit of just fixing a bunch at a time and using it all week.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    mix in 2 tbs low sodium taco seasoning, spread onto thin yellow corn tortillia's (warm them up a few seconds wrapped in a paper towel in the microwave to make them flexible) sprinkle some salsa and fat free cheese on top and roll them up, put a toothpick through them to keep them in place and put in a 350 degree oven until crispy.... chicken taquitos good for a snack or put with some brown rice and make it a meal
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I use the canned chunk white chicken from Sam's club for chicken salads. I drain and rinse in hot water first, then mix with cottage cheese, a dollop of greek yogurt, chopped celery, green onions, sliced almonds and whatever else sounds good at the time. Makes an easy and relatively healthy work lunch :)
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love pita pockets filled with canned chicken breast, broccoli and cheese, dijon mustard and tomatoes.
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sure do. Makes for a nice quick lunch. Broken up and tossed with some salsa, add some spinach and put on P28 or a bread of your choice. YUM!
  • MySignaturecolour
    MySignaturecolour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use it for chicken salad, chicken enchiladas and other things main thing is to rinse it really well. Takes away the canny taste and some of the sodium as well.
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joes canned chicken in broth to make my taco soup.

1 cup of the canned chicken
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 cup black beans
    1 cup pinto beans
    1 cup salsa

I put it in the crock pot, top with cheese and avocado if you desire.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I just wanted everyone to know that you can can your OWN chicken as well

canned+chicken+001.JPG

Chicken.JPG
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    mix in 2 tbs low sodium taco seasoning, spread onto thin yellow corn tortillia's (warm them up a few seconds wrapped in a paper towel in the microwave to make them flexible) sprinkle some salsa and fat free cheese on top and roll them up, put a toothpick through them to keep them in place and put in a 350 degree oven until crispy.... chicken taquitos good for a snack or put with some brown rice and make it a meal

Do you drain the water from your chicken first?
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I used to use it a lot for chicken salad, and in enchiladas-mexican food in a hurry. Over a big pile of raw greens with whole grain on top and the chicken -whatehttp://www.myfitnesspal.com/forumsver other veg-huge lunch salad.

FWIW-I now just buy boneless skinless and crock them with a little water-better texture and you can control the salt. I still like the canned kind, but it's more expensive and I've gotten into the habit of just fixing a bunch at a time and using it all week.

HMMM.. Never thought of using it in an enchilada!!!
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I use Trader Joes canned chicken in broth to make my taco soup.

1 cup of the canned chicken
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 cup black beans
    1 cup pinto beans
    1 cup salsa

I put it in the crock pot, top with cheese and avocado if you desire.

hmm this sounds yummy too!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    eat-myself-skinny.com has a guiltless taquito recipe that uses canned chicken, that's about all I every buy/use it for. It's good for in a pinch, but I prefer just cooking and shredding a chicken breast myself for most things.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    We use it when we're backpacking and we can't bring fresh food. We usually mix it into pasta or rice, with some kind of sauce and seasoning. It tastes good when you're starving after hiking for 8 hours (and better than tuna at any rate!). It's also a good source of protein that doesn't need refrigeration.

Same here ^^^^ I'll mix it with quinoa or couscous and some veggies and it tastes pretty good. And you're right, after 8 hours of backpacking it's pretty gourmet tasting to me, lol. Everything tastes better in the back-country though :happy: