Avocados

Options

Replies

• jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Love avocados! soo good for you! I put them in smoothies in place of bananas (I don't much like bananas)
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a high fat, low carb program. I eat 1/2 - 1 avocado a day!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, my best weight loss was when I was typically eating 1 avocado a day.

You guys just eat avocados plain? or is there a better way? I love guac, but I don't know about just plain, lol

I eat half an avocado a day and put it on my food. For lunch I had a whole wheat roll with an egg with avocado slices on top and chipotle sauce.. Often put avocado in my salad, on top of scrambled eggs, rice, beans, pieces floating in soup, mix Pico de Gallo with a can of tuna and avocado, put it on tostadas, or in quesadillas, but not so much in guacamole, because that is here in Mexico for special occasions. Avocados are very expensive here ( right now around US$ 1 -1.50 for one, depending on size ).
    One of my favorites; half an avocado filled with chicken, tuna or shrimp salad.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I love avocados too! I grew up in a town that boasted to be 'the avocado capital of the world' (in all reality they don't produce the quantities that places in South America do, but probably the most for the US) and have eaten them in every way imaginable. With that said, slicing them has always been a problem for me- that slicing tip is golden! Thanks!
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I;ve never gained eating avocado, its the best. I just wish it would keep longer once cut. I learned an interesting way to pick a good one, pick off the little stem at the end and if its green and nice lookng under it than the avocado is fresh and ripe, if its black under there, put it back,

If you want it to keep longer, dont discard the pit. Once cut, store your avocado with the pit and as little air as possible in either the container or baggie you keep it in.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I actually added half an avocado to my smoothie today. I couldn't taste it but it sure improved the texture. It was smooth and thick like a milkshake. Yummy. Plan on doing that from now on.

Added; My son :heart: avocados and will eat them like crazy. We always have to order an extra side of guc if we go to the mexican restraurant just for him to eat. But he hates salsa, actually anything spiced as 'hot'. Go figure. Because of him, I have bought Wholly gucaumole in the 100 calorie packs just to be able to use it in small doses without it going brown like the big tubs do.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I try to have at least half everyday, usually for breakfast with two eggs and toast. They're AWESOME!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I add them to my salads. If you google it there are plenty of desserts (like chocolate mousse) made primarily with avocados. Also you can add them to smoothies...makes them creamy :)
  • weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Also a huge fan of the avo! But I read conflicting reports on how many calories.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    All the avocado lovers saw this thread and came running, lol. And so did I. Avocados are great. <3
  • sangeyvang
    sangeyvang Posts: 182
    Options
    Avocados, sooo goood. You can slice it up and squeeze some lemon juice on it too. Yum yummm!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    One of the people I'm MFP friends with cuts avocados in half, removes the pit and a little extra avocado, cracks an egg into each hole, and then bakes it. I keep meaning and forgetting to try it.
  • melina_bea
    melina_bea Posts: 11
    Options
    I eat an avocado every day, when I can afford them. They're getting very expensive here!

Usually have it plain, or with lemon. Also in salads, or in sandwhiches instead of mayo/butter. I sometimes put them in smoothies to make them more filling.
  • letlovegrow89
    letlovegrow89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love them but they give me chest pains :cry:
  • HeatherLynn82281
    HeatherLynn82281 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, never really knew how to pick one!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    a californian here; they're literally falling out of the trees these days. Avocados substitute for mayonnaise...makes a great egg salad. I have smoked salmon on very thin, small pieces of toast for breakfast with masked or sliced avocado. A great sashimi bowl is fish of your choice--I like ahi, lightly seared--cut up, mixed with chunks of avocado, a little teriyaki, some wasabi and a cup or two of cut up romaine hearts, plus a cup of rice if you want that.. guacamole, of course. every green salad we make as avocado in it. For a party Saturday night, I'm making a salad of greens, goat cheese, golden beets, sliced strawberries, toasted almonds and of course plenty of avocado with a walnut=raspberry vinaigrette.

Easy way to deal with pits is cut the avo in half lengthwise, going around rather than through the pit. Twist slightly to open into two halves. Take the pit out of its half by whacking it lightly with the pointed heel of a large knife. It will stick to the point and pull right out. You can then scoop out perfect halves with a soup spoon.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My husband likes them with salt and lemon pepper. I like to make my own guacamole by mixing with some sour cream and salsa.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    a californian here; they're literally falling out of the trees these days. Avocados substitute for mayonnaise...

My parents had an avocado grove, so it was all-you-can-eat avocados for us! I also use avocado as a sub for mayo in salads. Yum!
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi couldnt agree with you more,fantastic food value here,I put mine in a green smoothie with fresh mint fresh spinach,fresh root ginger,cider vinegar,honey and water,all whizzed up together!!!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    i freaking LOVE avocados. I slice it up and eat it with a tiny bit of salt and pepper