Aching Shins for "Trying" to run

Options
2»

Replies

• stellalagerfeld
    Options
    In addition to getting proper running shoes, there is a simple exercise you can do to build up the muscle running along your shin so that it doesn't get sore. Sit down and raise your leg straight out away from you. Point you toes straight ahead, as far away from you as you can, then point you toes as close to towards the ceiling (or your head, if your very flexible). Make sure you keep your leg straight and off of the ground while you do this. Do this as many times as you can, then do the same with the other foot. You can do this while you're watching tv, at work, or whenever you have a few minutes. This will strengthen that muscle up and help make running a little more enjoyable.

I'll work on that. I also researched more excercises for the shins and lower legs. Thanks!
  • stellalagerfeld
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to share your input. You guys encourage me to keep going. =D
  • watermstry
    watermstry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was in 6th grade and had several painful bouts of shin splints through high school. I've since learned to recognize the feeling right away, and manage to stave it off by being smart. Some things that work for me:

- Running on soft, even surfaces. This is the MOST important thing for me. Even if it is inconvinent to get to such a route, it's worth it, at least until your legs get stronger.
    -If your legs are so sore that they hurt too touch, you could try wrapping them. The compression seems to help healing. In high school, the athletic trainer always used vet wrap on me. An elastic bandage works too.
    -Ice and ibuprofen

I used to massage them, but I found that the more I touched my legs, the more irritated they felt.

Good luck!
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Thanks Stellalagerfe for posting this question, I am having the same kind of pain and I was going to ask this same thing. I have good running shoes but I think it might be time for new ones.

Can anyone also answer the question, how many miles can be put on a set of running shoes before its time for new ones?

I have heard that 100 miles, but to me that just does not seam like much.. Some runners would be buying new shoes every month at that point.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks Stellalagerfe for posting this question, I am having the same kind of pain and I was going to ask this same thing. I have good running shoes but I think it might be time for new ones.

Can anyone also answer the question, how many miles can be put on a set of running shoes before its time for new ones?

I have heard that 100 miles, but to me that just does not seam like much.. Some runners would be buying new shoes every month at that point.

I was told 400-500 miles or as excessive wear begins to show.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a new pair of running shoes - fitted at a running store with gait analysis technology. I have been told that over 80% of shin splits are caused by ill-fitting footwear.

i went through this last week it hurt like hell but new shoes healed me right up in a couple of days
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    In addition to getting proper running shoes, there is a simple exercise you can do to build up the muscle running along your shin so that it doesn't get sore. Sit down and raise your leg straight out away from you. Point you toes straight ahead, as far away from you as you can, then point you toes as close to towards the ceiling (or your head, if your very flexible). Make sure you keep your leg straight and off of the ground while you do this. Do this as many times as you can, then do the same with the other foot. You can do this while you're watching tv, at work, or whenever you have a few minutes. This will strengthen that muscle up and help make running a little more enjoyable.
    Check out runners world.com It has advice for shin splints. I would think you should slow down until your shins recover.
    thanks
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

Yup, serious runners can be buying new shoes every couple of months - I get about six months out of mine (I do about 40km a week). But some people are harder on shoes than others. The way to see if you need a new pair is to check the tread on the bottom. If the knobbly bits under the ball of your foot are wearing out, the shoe is about done. I can tell by the way my feet feel - they'll start to ache after a few kilometres and I know it's time to shell out for a new pair.

The joy of being fitted already is I simply go and buy the same shoes again but at a clearance store or online or when they're on sale - last year's model works just as we'll as this year's but for half the price.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I was told 400-500 miles or as excessive wear begins to show.

It is 400-500 miles.

When I go for a training run or I race, I always write my details of the session into a diary, this will include distance, time, calories burned, average heartrate and maximum heartrate, what the weather was like, what time the session was, if I had to go to work and what shift I was on and last but not least, the running total for the shoes I ran in that day (I have three pairs and alternate them).

The shoes eventually break down, the soles may not become worn, but inside they start to break down and give less support. It is important you change them when their time is up, even if they still look good.