Will DIET sodas cause me to gain weight?

Options

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Gain weight...Yes, BUT MORE Importantly the ph level for soda is about 2 - 2.5. RIGHT in there with battery acid. What a GREAT set-up for Disease.

ETA: So is Gatorade, and the rest of those so called energy and hydration drinks. Even most of the bottled waters are acidic (not as bad as soda, but bad). And just think, Athletes and people drink these things for performance, and all the while they are killing them! WOW!!!

omg lemon has a ph of 2

all this time we been drinking lemonade we have been killing ourselves.

please go take a high school level science class about acids and bases before you come to a conclusion such as this
  • runfrazierrun
    Options
    Studies have shown that the added preservatives in Diet sodas actually increase your insulin levels and add 10 inches to your waist within 10 years. So basically an inch a year. Not to mention diet sodas have been linked to raise the risk of heart disease, fibro pain etc. Oh and the artificial sweeteners increase appetite and make you crave sugar a lot more.

I would try to steer clear from soda in general.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Studies have shown that the added preservatives in Diet sodas actually increase your insulin levels and add 10 inches to your waist within 10 years. So basically an inch a year. Not to mention diet sodas have been linked to raise the risk of heart disease, fibro pain etc. Oh and the artificial sweeteners increase appetite and make you crave sugar a lot more.

I would try to steer clear from soda in general.

what study? lol

Why isn't my waist like 40 inches?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    wow, thanks for putting the "die" in diet.

"You can't spell diet without die"
    --orthorexics T-shirt logo
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Gain weight...Yes, BUT MORE Importantly the ph level for soda is about 2 - 2.5. RIGHT in there with battery acid. What a GREAT set-up for Disease.

Right up there with battery acid? Battery acid has a pH of around 0.5. Most diet sodas have a pH in the vicinity of 3.

So battery acid is over 300 times more acidic than soda.
    \

mmmmm acid!
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Diet soda does not raise blood sugar. At all. Ask any diabetic who monitors themself. This is misinformation that won't stop spreading around. They've done countless studies on this. Artificial sweeteners do NOT raise your blood sugar.

Diet soda won't make you gain weight. I like carbonated drinks because they make me feel full (everyone else is describing it as bloated, whatever yolo). On the other hand, eating artificial sweeteners can incite cravings. If you don't think you'll have a problem controlling cravings, drink your diet soda. If you think it will trigger cravings, probably best to avoid it. But you won't gain weight by drinking it, no.

This. Exactly.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Diet soda does not raise blood sugar. At all. Ask any diabetic who monitors themself. This is misinformation that won't stop spreading around. They've done countless studies on this. Artificial sweeteners do NOT raise your blood sugar.

Diet soda won't make you gain weight. I like carbonated drinks because they make me feel full (everyone else is describing it as bloated, whatever yolo). On the other hand, eating artificial sweeteners can incite cravings. If you don't think you'll have a problem controlling cravings, drink your diet soda. If you think it will trigger cravings, probably best to avoid it. But you won't gain weight by drinking it, no.

This. Exactly.

BOOM!:explode:
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    No.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    "You can't spell diet without die"
    --orthorexics T-shirt logo
    QFT
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    yes
    Diet soda might not help you stay trim after all, new research suggests.

A study presented at a American Diabetes Association meeting this week shows that drinking diet soda is associated with a wider waist in humans. And a second study shows that aspartame -- an artificial sweetener in diet soda -- actually raises blood sugar in mice prone to diabetes.
    Association doesn't mean cause. And good thing we aren't mice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Weight gain, by themselves no. Cause and effect, studies seem to be showing that they may indeed be bad. Not only bad in the sense that they make you "crave" sweets, the artificial sweeteners are now linked to possibly causing additional health risks. Specifics are yet to be proven, such as joint pain, headaches, mood issues, sluggishness, etc. That all said, you do need water for your health and you don't need soda, well unless you have corrosion on your car battery, then soda comes in handy to eat away at all that gunk.
    Where are the proven studies that show they cause crave sweets?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

ETA: So is Gatorade, and the rest of those so called energy and hydration drinks. Even most of the bottled waters are acidic (not as bad as soda, but bad). And just think, Athletes and people drink these things for performance, and all the while they are killing them! WOW!!!
    Where are the death certifications attributed from ph poisoning of diet soda and Gatorade? You do realize that the body regulates it's own ph even if something acidic is introduced? Hydrochloric acid in our stomachs is much more acidic than any acid we consume.:laugh: WHOA!

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/splenda-blood-sugar-sucralose-insulin_n_3362122.html

Artificial sweeteners such as sucralose seem to increase blood sugar peaks and insulin. Looks like aspartame used in diet sodas may have a similar effect according to animal studies. High Insulin levels inhibits mobilization of fat cells to release fatty acids so it would interfere with fat loss, and can cause hypoglycemia leading to cravings for sugary food..

Looks like the evidence is a correlational, so it doesn't show causation. If fat people wear fanny packs and skinny people don't, then fanny packs could be the cause of obesity. So there really is no evidence to show that drinking diet soda leads to fat gain.
  • Yliy
    Yliy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stop the soda hating!!! :p
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It can cause you to crave sweets and or carbs like bready doughy things which in turn can cause weight gain.. And I say this from experience ., after losing all the weight I figured why not have some diet pop it's zero cals.... No☝ just don't do it to yourself +6 lbs after maintaining for 4 months only diff I made before the gain was diet soda????
  • DatMurse
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/splenda-blood-sugar-sucralose-insulin_n_3362122.html

Artificial sweeteners such as sucralose seem to increase blood sugar peaks and insulin. Looks like aspartame used in diet sodas may have a similar effect according to animal studies. High Insulin levels inhibits mobilization of fat cells to release fatty acids so it would interfere with fat loss, and can cause hypoglycemia leading to cravings for sugary food..

Looks like the evidence is a correlational, so it doesn't show causation. If fat people wear fanny packs and skinny people don't, then fanny packs could be the cause of obesity. So there really is no evidence to show that drinking diet soda leads to fat gain.
    ice-cream-vs-drowning.jpg
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Where are the proven studies that show they cause crave sweets?

IDEA Fitness member

I don't have any "proven studies" but sweets for me can be a trigger to binge eating. That's why I have to dilute my Crystal Light to 50% strength. Full strength is too sweet and can be triggering. And while I'm sure I'm not the only one that this would be true for, I'm likewise sure that there are many, Many, MANY others who wouldn't be affected that way.

*shrugs* YMMV
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

ice-cream-vs-drowning.jpg
    More like:

hurr-durr-hurrdurr-graph.png
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

eKMG8pz.jpg