"FAST DIET" / 5:2 DIET

Options

Replies

• Judowney
    Judowney Posts: 1
    Options
    Started the 5:2 fast diet on Monday 3 June 2013 - I hope I do as well as you have done. I have started the diet weighing in at 17 stones / 238 lbs / 108 Kg my goal at the moment is 14.5 stones / 203lbs / 93kg)

Got the book by Dr Michael Mosely and Mimi Spencer "The fast Diet" so far everything that I have read is very easy to understand and it seems to make a lot of sense.
  • 1nspiredgirl
    1nspiredgirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Is this really effective? But you still need to exercise right? I would love to try it!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Is this really effective? But you still need to exercise right? I would love to try it!

Very effective. No need to exercise. You'll love it, it's a life changing experience.
  • 1nspiredgirl
    Options

Very effective. No need to exercise. You'll love it, it's a life changing experience.

Thank you! I think I'm gonna start tomorrow. Are you still doing it?
  • tricksee
    Options
    I've only just started using 5:2.

I've lost over 30lbs using the 16/8 hour approach to intermittent fasting.

I'm hoping 5:2 yields the same results!
  • seddo
    seddo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started on Monday. I'm combining 5:2 and 8:16

My fast days are Monday and Wednesday and my hours are 12noon to 8pm

So far so good it seems like i've lost 3 pounds already!
  • 1nspiredgirl
    Options
    I've only just started using 5:2.

I've lost over 30lbs using the 16/8 hour approach to intermittent fasting.

I'm hoping 5:2 yields the same results!

That's amazing! So you're not eating every 8 hours everyday? Did I get it right?
  • tricksee
    Options
    I used to eat between 12pm-8pm.

Basically skipping breakfast and not eating after my main meal in the evening.

The rest of the time, I drank water and black coffee - No calories!

Worked a treat!
  • 1nspiredgirl
    Options
    Hi, I started on Monday. I'm combining 5:2 and 8:16

My fast days are Monday and Wednesday and my hours are 12noon to 8pm

So far so good it seems like i've lost 3 pounds already!

Wow Good for you! I think I'm gonna use your schedule too. :)

I used to eat between 12pm-8pm.

Basically skipping breakfast and not eating after my main meal in the evening.

The rest of the time, I drank water and black coffee - No calories!

Worked a treat!

It's a nice schedule, 8pm onward is sleeping time so you don't feel very hungry because your asleep. Is this everyday? Or just in two days?
  • tricksee
    Options

It's a nice schedule, 8pm onward is sleeping time so you don't feel very hungry because your asleep. Is this everyday? Or just in two days?

16/8 is used every day. :-) The bonus is you eat what you like in the 8 hours.
    The good thing about 5:2 is that you're only restricted for 2 days a week.

They both have their benefits, just depends which fits your lifestyle best :-)
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love the 5:2 diet, its changed my life forever, I am now a very happy person! I will do this for the rest of my life! Woop Woop! :o))
  • 1nspiredgirl
    Options

16/8 is used every day. :-) The bonus is you eat what you like in the 8 hours.
    The good thing about 5:2 is that you're only restricted for 2 days a week.

They both have their benefits, just depends which fits your lifestyle best :-)

But I guess 16/8 is faster than 5:2. I guess I'll try that. Thanks for the info! :)
  • missems1
    missems1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love the 5:2 diet. I've always been a terrible dieter but never needed to lose a vast amount just a stone here and there after my three babies. 5:2 has got me to within 2lbs of my pre-babies weight and has been so easy to maintain. I've been doing 6:1 for about the last 6/8 weeks but this week am doing a 5:2 as I did put on a few pounds last week and I'm going on holiday next week so won't bother doing any fast days. :)
  • JVS1
    JVS1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Once you are down to target weight you don't need to do it for the rest of your life, so I don't understand that question, but some people at target choose to fast 1 day a week 6:1 for maintenance.

The 5:2 diet is recommended for health (particularly cancer prevention/risk reduction) reasons, with weight loss being a pleasant side effect. So my understanding is that it is supposed to be a way of life, rather than something you stop when you reach target weight. Some people drop to fasting one day a week when they reach their target weight, as this helps sustain health benefits of the fasting/low calorie eating, but stops them from losing too much weight.

Obviously, if someone is purely only doing it for weight loss reasons, it would make sense that they could choose to stop at target weight, provided they then don't go over their maintenance daily calorie amount. Personally, I'm doing it for the health reasons first, due to family history of cancer, and the weight loss is much appreciated, as it got me over a plateau.

I've been doing it consistently for 8 months and find it perfectly sustainable. It's the best thing I've ever done with regards to weight loss.
  • tricksee
    Options
    Once you reach your goal weight, you could even try doing 6:1 to maintain.

It's a very adaptable plan.
  • athandtia
    athandtia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been doing this for a good few weeks now and have lost 9lb. Once you get into a routine it's a really easy system to follow, and the golden words when you're finding it hard on a fast day "there's always tomorrow"
    Good luck!:happy:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Exercise is up to you, not critical to any weight loss regime.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for 2 years and have lost over 20 lbs (I'm 5'7 and weigh 129, so I didn't have a lot to lose). I get in at least an hour of cardio every day, but save the long bicycle rides for the weekends when I'm not fasting. In addition to reducing your calories on fast days, I think part of the benefit is that you get used to eating less, and that spills over into the other 5 days. I have no intention of getting off of this unless I start getting dangerously thin, and I don't see that happening.
  • littlebutnice
    littlebutnice Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Currently doin 5:2 . Add meeeee :-)
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 for about 6 months and it is awesome! Feel free to add me if you like!