Anyone else naturally heavy?

Options
Hey MFPers,

So I think I am just naturally very heavy. I currently weigh 74kg/163Lbs and my measurements are 32G - 26 - 39 with 24 thighs. Now I know I am not the smallest of girls but I don't think that I should be this heavy. I know muscle weights heavier than fat but I am not that built and have a BF of 24% (last time I checked a month ago) It is a real issue in my life as the doctor refuses me medication because my BMI is too high.

Does anyone else have this problem or are my bone made of metal and I should sign up for x-men!

thanks

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    What medication is he refusing? Even if you were short, 163 isn't grossly high, and BF% of 24 is acceptable, even for a guy. I am confused.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    We naturally follow the genetics we're dealt, but unless there's a hormonal issue or health issue, I don't believe people are just naturally heavy. Body shapes, height, eye/hair color, are all natural. Weight isn't. Weight is a result of calories taken in and calories used. Reduce anyone's intake and they will lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I use to tell myself that, until I decided to address my bad eating habits. Now I know that I'm not.
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    He refused me the contraceptive pill. Also I am 167cm tall.

I don't think I am naturally a big girl that is not what I was implying, I know if I work I will bring down my weight. I am just saying for my size (uk size 12) I seem to weigh a lot more than very one else. I know that if I get into the 'healthy weight' range on the BMI i will be a size 8. That surely can't be right?
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

I don't think I am naturally a big girl that is not what I was implying, I know if I work I will bring down my weight. I am just saying for my size (uk size 12) I seem to weigh a lot more than very one else. I know that if I get into the 'healthy weight' range on the BMI i will be a size 8. That surely can't be right?
    You need a new doctor. My doctor prescribed me contraception when I was 180 lbs. and I'm only 5'1'' (155 cm). It has helped me immensely with losing weight because I was getting terrible hormonal pain. Age is a much bigger factor in prescribing certain birth control (usually over 40), but even if weight was a bigger factor, you're not at a weight that is unreasonable.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I feel like that may be my case, but IDK. I KNOW I am fat, but I also have a lot of muscle and I am of a "larger" frame to begin with. BMI is total BS for the most part, when I'm at my final goal weight I'll still be in the "overweight" category. I don't know how it can be healthy for me to be under 170 lbs... But, that's what BMI says I should target. I guess I'll see what my body comp is when I'm closer to 175 lbs and go from there.
  • ryanosgood
    ryanosgood Posts: 28
    Options
    With my large body frame, I am never going to be at the "ideal" 138-172 lb. range...would look dead at that weight. That's fine...there's a long way to go before that becomes an issue...
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You need a new doctor. No one should be refused contraceptives because of weight. You can get pregnant at any weight.

Also, you can have a larger frame than other people. A friend of mine is the same height as me but very petite...I will never be able to weigh as little as she does without being unhealthy. That doesn't mean I should weigh as much as I do.
  • colapopmusic
    Options
    I am the also naturally "heavy".....I like to say curvey :) I am 5'1" and I look my best at 135-140 lbs. On weight charts that is still considered overweight, but my body looks great and I feel great :)
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I use to tell myself that, until I decided to address my bad eating habits. Now I know that I'm not.

^This. Growing up, I told myself that it was 'natural' for me to be plump, then fat, because my mother was also and I'd just inherited it from her, right? Wrong.

However, OP, I think that your doctor may be a little extreme in refusing you the medication. It's true that really heavy women are more inclined to have pregnancy issues and bad side-effects from birth control, but your measurements sound healthy enough at this point in time to be prescribed this. I agree with Pearsquared that you should look into finding a new doctor.

I'm only slightly taller than you and I weigh 233 currently (approximately 106 kg), and I would be shocked if I was denied contraceptive pills because of my weight because I know for a fact that women my weight-- and heavier!-- are on some form of it. Unless you have other health issues, you should be fine to take it.
  • aTallLiam
    aTallLiam Posts: 75
    Options
    Every male is my family is big. My dad, granddad, great granddad, great great granddad etc.
    Tall and big boned, most of them in the police force. Some people are just born that way.

Edit: Well, most of them. On my mother's side most of the males are average size. But on my father's side they are huge.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 263 and I am on contraceptiion, you should find a new doctor!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally large framed and have a decent amount of muscle which makes me heavier than someone my height with a smaller frame. But no, I'm not "naturally overweight". I have a healthy BMI, and body fat percentage.

But yes, you need to find a new doctor. That's just ridiculous.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Your doctor SUCKS.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Seriously? you smell like a troll...who the hell denies someone birth control in North America? :noway:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'm 3'3" and was on the pill at that weight.

Your measuremts are pretty small ...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hey MFPers,

So I think I am just naturally very heavy.

Does anyone else have this problem or are my bone made of metal and I should sign up for x-men!

thanks

Your bones probably weigh about 30 lbs. The rest is "other stuff".

I don't know why weight is a factor in prescribing birth control. It's not as if heavier women can't get pregnant otherwise doctors could just prescribe cupcakes instead of the pill.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    163 is heavy? I am almost two of you.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Your doctor SUCKS.

^^This. Seriously. Go find a new doctor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor! You sound naturally curvy (big boobs) but with bodyfat of 24%, if you wanted to reduce it you could.