HCG progress and updates - for people on it or thinking abou

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Oh, Lioness, I don't bother actually SAYING anything to anyone because people are stupid (or rather, people are addicted).

Our food supply has become as powerful as drugs in terms of the way they react chemically without bodies. And those chemical reactions create imbalances that further drive the desire for these drug-like foods. The sugars, the corn syrup, the additives like MSG etc etc... these substances create cravings - but you know all that.

My thing is I won't waste my time telling someone who wants to eat junk that its junk. Why bother? It's like telling a heroin addict that heroin is bad for him. It's a useless waste of time.

Beyond that, the other unfortunate fact is that in our country you have to be rich to eat well. Don't get me started on that. The sad fact is that in many places you cannot buy organic (for example, where Iive) without traveling great distances. And even then you better have the MONEY for that. Most Americans don't and paying extra NOW for something with unknown benefit LATER is not part of our national mentality. After all, we say, we're all going to die anyway. In many low income neighborhoods, there isn't even a grocery store of ANY KIND. Nowhere to buy pesticide laden produce even if you wanted it. Only a bunch of fast food places and a corner store that sells cheetos and soda.

So I keep my mouth shut. If I am going to be "active" in this issue I'll direct my activity and anger toward legislators who can create better standards and toward lobbying groups that try to influence them with their money and keep us all sick. I cannot be angry with the end user. Most folks have fewer choices and I'm blessed to have the luxury of being able to make that choice. Our food industry and chemical industries in this country are killing us with the desire to mass produce food products as cheaply as possible. That's the true root of the problem.

Bravo Gorgeous! Well said. People will do what THEY want until THEY want. Just like me. I know my addiction to sugar can't be normal and I'm now, at the age of 42 looking to change that. I can't say that i will be Miss Organic, or grow my own but I am definately more aware of what i'm eating and slowly but surely I will get there.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You Lovely Ladies are doing Wonderfully :flowerforyou:

I've ordered my HCG yesterday and it's on it's way. I already bought some sweetnlow to help with my coffee. :bigsmile:

I was just going to post what i have planned to eat on my 2 Load days... but then thought. "Oh man i wouldn't want to hear about somebody eating till they are almost splitting :laugh:

Skinny - Oh So Happy and Excited for you reaching the 120's I know you are such a proud girl right now.

Lioness - Sounds like you are well on your way to reaching your goal and beyond :bigsmile: I feel so encouraged when I read you guys are not feeling hungry and going strong. :happy:

FiveCats - OMG Girl you got my all giddy with how things are going for you. I know you put in some high burn runs but over 2000 calories and holding steady? You are my hero :love:

I still havene't memorized all of you gals names so pardon me if i don't address you it's because i can't see who else posted when I'm repsonding :flowerforyou:

Congrats to all you keeping steady or losing while on phase 3... I'm watching you and getting more excited with every post I read. I'm really looking forward to seeing myself posting these same type of results so I can prove to my sister that she can do it too. :happy:

Have a great Weekend all!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous and Lioness, I couldn't agree more. It's cheap to be fat in this country. It's expensive to eat healthy. I was just looking into organic grass fed beef - over 26 dollars a pound!!! Sorry. I'll eat lean, convntional beef. I think most of the toxins get stored in the fat anyway, like with us humans?
    Indeed, I work for one of our state senators and that's one of the things I've been speaking to him about. We subzidize everything - why can't we find a way to subsidize organic farmers and livestock ranches so as to pass savings on to consumers? There's too much money in the lobby groups the other industries have.
    Think about the high-fructose corn syrup industry alone - multi billion dolllar industry. And then what happens if everyone suddenly stops using products with hfcs? Revenue is lost, an industry collapses etc.
    We can't change the world. We can hopefully live a more healthy life and tach our children to do the same.

Where do you live that Grass Fed Beef (Organic) is $26.00 a pound? I get it from my local meat market (he only buys from Illinois and Missouri farmers with in a 35 mile radius of his market), fresh pork and free range chickens. I get 30 pounds of meat for $60.00 some dollars.

I also spent my lunch at the Soulard Farmers Market and look what I came away with..............

Cabbage - 1 head
    Yellow and Vidalia Onions - 3 pounds
    Watermelon - 1 medium size
    Spinach - 2 pounds
    Collard Greens - 2 pounds
    Green, Yellow, orange, Red Bell Peppers - 5 of each color
    Habanero, Jalapeno and Banana Peppers - quart size box of each kind
    Beef Snack Sticks - 4 large sticks
    Tomatos - 3pounds
    cucumbers - 2 large and firm
    Celery - 1 bunch
    Apples - The guy gave me 4 free ones
    Fresh Brown Farm Eggs
    Fresh Spices from the Soulard Spice Shop

Total Price Paid: $19.35

Personally, I feel the legislators and our government, food suppliers, etc are not going to change until there are enough people like us that are relying on Farmers Markets and local farmers for our meat, veggies, fruits and dairy.............just like in the old days....

I can feed my husband and I for 2 weeks for $115.00 eating organic, local foods.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    OK - I think I'll move to where you live. :smile:
    I am in the great state of New York, in the Hudson River Valley. I don't have a Trader Joe's nearby. The two local places - Foodtown and a local market- have the better cuts of organic grass fed beef at an average of $26 a pound. I paid almost $10 for a pound of "cubed steak" or "swiss steak" . My husband freaked out. He called it chicken steak and said that even though they grew up with not a lot of money, his mother would never have bought that. LOL. He's right. Regular cubed steak is probably like a dollar a pound.
    Our "farmer's markets" are gourmet affairs at which people like to be seen supporting sustainability (read: paying through the nose for organic produce!).
    I can get good deals on organic produce at some of the supermarkets sometimes - especially the frozen veggies, but not on the meat. I have just gotten in contact with a local ranch, but have not heard pricing yet.

If we only do red meat twice a week, we'll be okay.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    OK - I think I'll move to where you live. :smile:
    I am in the great state of New York, in the Hudson River Valley. I don't have a Trader Joe's nearby. The two local places - Foodtown and a local market- have the better cuts of organic grass fed beef at an average of $26 a pound. I paid almost $10 for a pound of "cubed steak" or "swiss steak" . My husband freaked out. He called it chicken steak and said that even though they grew up with not a lot of money, his mother would never have bought that. LOL. He's right. Regular cubed steak is probably like a dollar a pound.
    Our "farmer's markets" are gourmet affairs at which people like to be seen supporting sustainability (read: paying through the nose for organic produce!).
    I can get good deals on organic produce at some of the supermarkets sometimes - especially the frozen veggies, but not on the meat. I have just gotten in contact with a local ranch, but have not heard pricing yet.

If we only do red meat twice a week, we'll be okay.

YIKES!!!!

I am in the Good Old Midwest where there are still lots of farms. I feel fortunate because when I lived in Virginia I didn't have access to the things I have access to now.

I grew up here in the Midwest too.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Spicy618--
    You mentioned Sweet n low, but artificial sweeteners are not advised on the original HCG protocol. Look for Stevia, or a brand name "Truvia" which is made with Stevia. Stevia comes from a plant, and is available in bulk or in packets like other sweeteners. I don't miss my Splenda at all since I started using it. It also doesn't give me the cravings that artificial sweeteners seem to trigger.

I didn't believe people who said artificial sweeteners caused cravings for carbs until I began tracking my use of them and the resulting strong desire to binge on carbs. It is NOT worth it!!

Good luck to all. I am on a plateau of my own making, but expect to start dropping by the weekend.
  • Skinnytime
    Options
    Ha! I just re read your shopping list. The peppers alone would have cost me $19 dollars! I get a bag of 2 of each: orange, yellow and red for about $5. Organic eggs are $6 a dozen here unless they're on sale.
    I bet if I went further upstate, I might get some deals, but it's just not happening.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    ***IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT LOCATING THIS POST***

Many of you may already be familiar with what happens when a thread reaches 500 posts, but for those who are not.....

A thread will appear in your topics with a lock symbol. If you attempt to post, your post will not be saved. Instead, look at the LAST post on the thread and there will be a link that will take you to the "part 2" of the post with the same name. Once you have posted on the new thread, it will come up in your my topics. BTW, once you are in the new thread, if you go to the first post that appears there, it will have a link that takes you back to "part one"--the original post.

I am making a point of explaining this because on another thread I am on, we regularly hit 500 posts by about the 20th of each month and inevitably, there will be people who can't figure out "Where did everyone go? No one is posting." And it will be due to the fact that the new thread is not showing up in their my topics, and doesn't happen to show in recent posting list, or they don't look there.

See you in the new thread, which, at the rate we are going, could happen later today, or probably by tomorrow.
  • Gorgeous1
    Gorgeous1 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Well where I live Lioness there are three places to buy food: walmart, publix and winn-dixie.

Yes I can buy some produce from one of the side-of-the-road stands, but I'm not sure that food is organic. It's just locally grown which doesn't mean jack.

I hear what you're saying. When you're close to a major city, it's easier (and SOMETIMES cheaper, although Skinnytime is right...the "farmer's market" has become fashionable and it's BS). But many Americans don't live in or near major cities. I grew up in DC and lived in Palm Beach until about 5 years ago. It was easier (though not cheaper) to buy organic. And guess what? fewer people in those places are morbidly obese. When I moved to central florida and bought a little house in a smallish town of 15,000 guess what I noticed? MOST people are at least 50 pounds over weight. The only people who aren't fat are SOME of the teenagers. Why? There are lots of reasons but starting with the fact that you CAN'T walk anywhere, really. Then add the fact that the only "gym" in my town is a really crappy YMCA. The nearest Golds Gym is 23 miles away and their groups classes SUCK. Then add in the fact that many people in my town aren't exactly rich (the average salary in small town USA is no where NEAR what it is in the cities). So where to people buy their groceries? Walmart.

I can say this about my area though, there are tons of cattle farms and many (most) only grass feed. I can leave the mall and see cows grazing across the street everyday of the week. But I cannot tell you how far I'd have to travel to get to a Whole Foods Market (the only organic food market less than 50 miles from my house). It's frustrating.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    Gorgeous - LOVE THE RANT! All I can do is agree . . .

Lori - as I have heard it said "Let them eat cake" :happy: Happy birthday!

Spicy - yahoo and good luck to you! And ditch the sweet n low for some truvia or stevia - much better for you and legal on the plan!
    (oh, someone already said that - sorry!)

*************about the 500 post limit - I have been watching and waiting for this to happen!! So exciting:

New thread at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/112881-hcg-progress-updates-page-2-for-people-on-it-or-thinking-a

WAHOOOO!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Yay, I am finally in TRUE Ketosis!!!

I remember this feeling from when I did Atkins the very first time. it is Euphoric!!!
  • IHCG
    IHCG Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello All! I'm IHCG or Joi ( my real name)

I'm on day 11 VLCD and I've lost 10.4lbs. My first weekend was very rough. ( I gave into a funnel cake... I know I know...) But that was last weekend and this weekend will be much better. I'm sticking to it! I'm so happy I lost 10lbs I can't imagine how I will feel when I lose 20lbs. Today was really good. I don't have the hunger pains and I feel more energetic!
  • IHCG
    IHCG Posts: 6
    Options
    @ Lori
    Happy Birthday! Have a wonderful day!!!! ( No cake)
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Hello All! I'm IHCG or Joi ( my real name)

I'm on day 11 VLCD and I've lost 10.4lbs. My first weekend was very rough. ( I gave into a funnel cake... I know I know...) But that was last weekend and this weekend will be much better. I'm sticking to it! I'm so happy I lost 10lbs I can't imagine how I will feel when I lose 20lbs. Today was really good. I don't have the hunger pains and I feel more energetic!

Welcome!!!
  • Skinnytime
    Options
    Hey guys : we've moved on to Page 2! See link above, posted by FiveCats! See you on Page 2!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I already subscribed to that thread. Was trying to get this one to 500. :tongue:
  • weaklink109
    Options

Many of you may already be familiar with what happens when a thread reaches 500 posts, but for those who are not.....

A thread will appear in your topics with a lock symbol. If you attempt to post, your post will not be saved. Instead, look at the LAST post on the thread and there will be a link that will take you to the "part 2" of the post with the same name. Once you have posted on the new thread, it will come up in your my topics. BTW, once you are in the new thread, if you go to the first post that appears there, it will have a link that takes you back to "part one"--the original post.

I am making a point of explaining this because on another thread I am on, we regularly hit 500 posts by about the 20th of each month and inevitably, there will be people who can't figure out "Where did everyone go? No one is posting." And it will be due to the fact that the new thread is not showing up in their my topics, and doesn't happen to show in recent posting list, or they don't look there.

See you in the new thread, which, at the rate we are going, could happen later today, or probably by tomorrow.

Okay, so what I said ABOVE, is NOT, apparently, what is going to happen, since someone started another thread. I fear this may result in confusion, and two active threads, but we will have to make the best of it. This post should be #499, so when the next one is reached, that is when the link I mentioned will appear. After the automatically generated thread appears, someone will need to go one and post the updated link, to the thread that was manually created, so everyone ends up in the same place:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/112881-hcg-progress-updates-page-2-for-people-on-it-or-thinking-a

is where you SHOULD be going.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Okay, so what I said ABOVE, is NOT, apparently, what is going to happen, since someone started another thread. I fear this may result in confusion, and two active threads, but we will have to make the best of it. This post should be #499, so when the next one is reached, that is when the link I mentioned will appear. After the automatically generated thread appears, someone will need to go one and post the updated link, to the thread that was manually created, so everyone ends up in the same place:

is where you SHOULD be going.

Hey love, we are all over there!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!