How to deal with judgmental relatives?

Options
I love my family but they can be a bit harsh and judgmental. Ever since I was a kid it has always been a competition with my cousins. Who had the best grades, who was the prettiest, who had the best boyfriend, who got into the best college, etc. Tomorrow we're celebrating our great grandmother's 90th birthday. A lot of relatives are coming and a majority of the party we'll just be sitting around talking.

I know they don't mean to be hurtful, but the things they do and say does. My grandpa does this every time I see him. He'll hug me then he'll poke my stomach or pinch my face and make a comment like "Still the same old softy" or "more to cushion the organs". My older cousins who are girls are all sticks, but they are pretty. My grandma will go on and on about Sarah's new boyfriend, or just look how pretty Annie looks in her new dress. Then they'll ask me questions like "Why don't you have a boyfriend? Don't any of the boys talk to you at college? Such a shame, do you think you'll ever marry?" My grandparents play favorites among cousins, and let's just say I'm not one of them. I've never done anything wrong, I'm always polite, maybe I'm just not pretty enough or thin enough.

Do I just cast their judgments aside? How do you deal with relatives that have no filter?

Replies

• Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I moved away. Far, far away. And it was a pleasant surprise to discover just how drama free life can be when it's not smacking you upside the head on a regular basis.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has these experiences to some extent. It's getting to the point with me where they are telling me to Stop losing weight because I look sick. I don't look sick. I've been fat my entire life and they just aren't used to seeing me at a relatively healthy weight. There will always be people who make comments. And sometimes, it's the ones we love. But, I try not to let it get to me. At the end of the day, I'm doing what is best for me, not for them. It's my happiness. I'm sure there are a TON of prettier, skinnier, smarter girls out there than me. I'm almost positive. But, I'm finally happy with Myself and that's all that matters.
  • lucylou1480
    Options
    You look pretty thin from your picture in my opinion! I can't give you what you"should"do advice, but i have grandparents like that, and i know how you feel. I would get things like you've gotten chunky! It really made me avoid family functions with them bc i felt judged. I have always figured older people are blunt, and say exactly what they think, rude or not. And i don't like it.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I moved away too - across the country!

But since then, they have all followed me (over the course of 20 years) and I have become adept at ignoring the BS. Now it doesn't phase me. Occassionally, though, someone will say something that I take as nasty (even if they did not mean it that way - people are inconsiderate by accident a lot) I say something like "that hurts my feelings, so please do not say things like that to me anymore" or "I am doing this for me, not you, so your opinion can be kept to yourself unless it is supportive"
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I don't willingly spend time with people who insult and belittle me.

I don't understand people who feel an obligation to anyone who makes them feel bad on a regular basis. If I wouldn't tolerate it from a stranger, I don't tolerate it from family. Like others, I have moved far away from family and have never been happier.

I would skip the occasion and go do something that would make me feel good about myself.

Edited to add: Since it is your great-grandmother's 90th birthday, I probably wouldn't skip the occasion, but I would put in an appearance to wish her happy birthday, do my best to avoid people who treat me badly, and leave after an hour to go do something that was actually fun and enjoyable.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    These people judge a woman's worth on how skinny she is and how impressive her man is.

Let that sink in a moment...

Now start being damned happy that you don't fit those ridiculous values! Why would you care what these dinosaurs think? You're YOU, which is a hell of a lot more impressive than being mr bigshot's arm candy.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I don't willingly spend time with people who insult and belittle me.

, do my best to avoid people who treat me badly, and leave after an hour to go do something that was actually fun and enjoyable.

YES THIS
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Tell them very loudly that you're a lesbian and, on graduation, you'll be entering into a polyamorous wedding with nine other lesbians from across the world and living in a commune with your donor inseminated children as one big, happy, female only commune, as you'll all abort any male children.

That should shut them up for long enough to get your keys and drive off.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Preach girl! I'm right there with you. I've got a twin brother who's wicked smart paired with a sexist dad living vicariously through him. We've been having to compete with eachother our whole lives. It's fantastic. My dad and I aren't close in the least bit, so because I don't talk to him about my social life he's chalked it up to "various troubling social and mental disorders." He's been on my case about weight my whole life, calling me "skinny *****" for wanting to eat healthy, "masculine" for working out, and "*kitten*" because I wear minimal makeup. It used to be very upsetting, but once you realize that you're the most important person in your life, it doesn't matter! Do what you know is best for you, because at the end of the day that's all that matters:) Cheer up buttercup, sounds like you already recognize that you're stronger than their rude passive comments. Don't hestitate to PM me if you need to chat, I'm a great listener and totally get where you're coming from :flowerforyou:
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I too moved and limited my exposure to the TOXIC members of my family. It was the BEST decision I ever made!!!!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    let their expectations go - don't even bother trying to meet them.
    let their judgements pass you by - they don't know you, they are not your close confidants, they have never been insightful and will probably never be able to offer you meaningful advice.
    everbody has a right to be happy - and sometimes families stand in the way with their thoughtless comments or favoritism.
    be happy with yourself in front of them. despite their treatment. know that you are enough and that is enough.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    Tell them very loudly that you're a lesbian and, on graduation, you'll be entering into a polyamorous wedding with nine other lesbians from across the world and living in a commune with your donor inseminated children as one big, happy, female only commune, as you'll all abort any male children.

Lol, this! You'd be giving everyone a great story to tell!
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I moved away. Far, far away. And it was a pleasant surprise to discover just how drama free life can be when it's not smacking you upside the head on a regular basis.

Me, too! It's really liberating to physically separate yourself from negativity! Out of sight, out of mind has never rung so true!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ignore them, shrug your shoulders, turn around and walk away.

these people want a response. don't give them what they want. if you respond, they'll know they got under your skin. if you don't respond, they'll be wondering what you know that they don't know.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Acerbic wit.
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - my grandparents did the same exact thing to me! My cousins were always favored and it drove me crazy, they went to better schools, got better grades, were thinner, and were better looking. Now that we are older we don't get together as often, which honestly helps me, but they still do it even through email! My advice and what has worked for me is just being proud for who I am and knowing that I am who I am and that is still amazing - and it's amazing for me, not to ever be compared to anyone else. Just as you are amazing for yourself in your own way, I know it sounds lame, but it's the truth!
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This is why I drink at any and all family functions....
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I know they don't mean to be hurtful, but the things they do and say does. My grandpa does this every time I see him. He'll hug me then he'll poke my stomach or pinch my face and make a comment like "Still the same old softy" or "more to cushion the organs". My older cousins who are girls are all sticks, but they are pretty.

Respond with how his comments/actions make you feel. If you don't say anything to them they may not realize they are hurting you. Tell them you are on a road to become healthier and don't appreciate their hurtful and negative comments.
    My grandma will go on and on about Sarah's new boyfriend, or just look how pretty Annie looks in her new dress. Then they'll ask me questions like "Why don't you have a boyfriend? Don't any of the boys talk to you at college? Such a shame, do you think you'll ever marry?"

Respond with... "I refuse to settle for someone" and "While in College I prefer to focus on my studies so I can get great grades and a great job when I'm done instead of spending my time talking to boys". Just explain that at this point in your life you are focusing on school and not boys and will not settle just to have a relationship. End it at that and tell them you don't appreciate their comments and will not be just sitting there listening to their comments from now on.
    My grandparents play favorites among cousins, and let's just say I'm not one of them. I've never done anything wrong, I'm always polite, maybe I'm just not pretty enough or thin enough.

Do I just cast their judgments aside? How do you deal with relatives that have no filter?

I feel your pain with your grandparents. Mine hated me. My grandmother still does and she and I have had it out a few times because of her actions and comments. I refuse to go see her unless I have to because of how she is with me. My parents got divorced years ago and my grandparents never did like my mother. Because I am like my mother and not my father they do not like me. When my brother and I were kids we could both do the same thing... he would get rewarded and I would get yelled at. My grandmother was also not happy with me and had no shame in commenting when I moved out with my boyfriend (now husband) and she was always talking down to me that I worked in retail (it was a good retail job... a job that you needed to be trained for and I made great money and was happy with my job choice). I don't have the patience for someone who acts like she does (and by the sounds of it how your grandparents act) and I don't shy away from directly telling them. My grandmother also takes cracks at my weight every chance she can. She also openly told me I was doing nothing with my life (I am married, have gone to College, am going back to College in Sept, have worked a great job, have purchased my own car on my own and paid it off by myself in a shorter time than the loan was, been on my own, and my husband and I now own our own home... yet she never says anything to my brother who can't keep a relationship going, doesn't own a home or car, can't seem to understand he needs to pay rent, and can't hold a job)

I ultimately ended up telling my grandmother that if she didn't approve of my choices in life and didn't want to support me than I would be limiting if not eliminating my time with her. She now shuts her mouth (most of the time) when I see her. I'm sure my situation isn't like yours as my brother and I are the only grandchildren. My grandmother likes my husband more than me.

Should you choose to say something to them keep your cool and do not show anger. Confidently state what you need to say and walk away if possible. Don't allow them to see you hurt or angry.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Haha...Love this. I would totally do this^^^^^
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.