I'm over it.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Moderation is the key. I just had a piece of birthday cake here at work. We have one big party every month. So, I am gonna go over today.........I don't care, I don't do it very often, but when I do its not a worry. I look at my calories each day of course, but I also look at the weekly and monthly averages. If I am over 5 days out of the month, but I hit my monthly number the loss will be exactly the same as if I was dead on each day. So, relax and develop a healthy relationship with food.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Bumping to read later, because I get this way also! Especially on days when I feel really sorry for myself and just want to throw in the towel and be frustrated!!! Thank you for asking the question!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    On top of some already great advice, I would like to add, do some goal setting! Write out where you want to be in a week (i.e. consistently logging), a month (exercising 3 days a week), a year, etc. Setting small attainable goals for myself has been a huge part of my success so far. Sharing these goals with someone (for me, it's here & facebook) keeps you accountable, and therefore motivated. I want to emphasize too, that these goals should not for the most part have to do with the number on the scale. My goals through this summer include being able to run up to 9 miles. I'm to 6 at this point, where a couple months ago I could not even run 10 yards. I'm also doing a 6 week pushup challenge, and going to a squat challenge, and ballet boot camp.

I hope you are able to make things work this time. I understand the frustration, because I've been there before. At least twice I've lost a significant amount of weight (30 lbs both times), then jumped right off the wagon at the first sign of stress or other issues. This time is different. It's a life change, not a diet. I don't see myself ever being inactive again. So I just want to encourage you not to give up.
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    I really enjoyed reading this thread. It was a nice fresh escape from the threads that can get mean and nasty. It was very informative and encouraging. I applaud to the people who have responded. You have not only helped OP, but me as well. When I was on MFP a few years ago, it was simply eat 1200 calories and then eat back your exercise cals. Never did I read anything about TDEE, so that is new to me, too. I do have a question though. There are many TDEE calculators out there, and they all give different responses. Which one is reliable?
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    and I want to add that a huge part of making this whole thing sustainable is letting go of the bad feelings that come when we mess up, and just getting back to it.... or letting go of guilty for unhealthy choices. Sometimes I want to eat that 400 calorie cupcake and I don't have time to run and if I do so, I do so with intent and awareness that it's against my goals. I will allow myself to do this on rare occasions. It's ok now and again.
    This is FANTASTIC advice. I'm such an "all or nothing" type person that when i slip up, I tend to give up. I'm learning that it's okay to fall off the wagon occasionally. What's NOT acceptable is staying off the wagon. I'm learning to give myself permission to not do this perfectly. What's important is consistency, not perfection. Thanks so much for posting this. I needed to hear it today.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Do you like who you see in the mirror? If not it is up to you and you alone to fix it. And please don't look at this as a quick fix thing because that is how people gain all the weight back. This is something you are doing for you for the rest of your life.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    A previous poster linked to this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The calories seem high, but they said this is normal so.... here's for hoping!
    I really enjoyed reading this thread. It was a nice fresh escape from the threads that can get mean and nasty. It was very informative and encouraging. I applaud to the people who have responded. You have not only helped OP, but me as well. When I was on MFP a few years ago, it was simply eat 1200 calories and then eat back your exercise cals. Never did I read anything about TDEE, so that is new to me, too. I do have a question though. There are many TDEE calculators out there, and they all give different responses. Which one is reliable?
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    i am happy for you, OP, because you haven't actually gotten to a point of giving up--hence, your asking for help. and i'm proud of all the fantastic advice MFP members have so freely given, especially 1concretegirl. i needed to see this, too :)

it really boils down to building a sustainable lifestyle; you've been given all the tools, so it's time to put them into action! i've been eating better (TDEE-20%) and exercising....progress is still very slow for me but it's better than when i started :) you can do this!
  • LoveDaLibra
    LoveDaLibra Posts: 108
    I promise you. You should try insanity.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    You can calculate here, http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. It will look like a lot of calories, and it is, because you can eat that much and lose.

Ok, when I did the calculator, this is what I got:

BMR: 1436
    TDEE: 1975

So you should be eating approximately 1750 calories per day to lose weight

It sounds like a lot, I know. But you already know that over-restricting didn't work for you, so it's time to try something better.

Slowly increase your calories by about 100 per week until you get to 1750, then sit there for a month. The weight will start dropping.

Be super accurate with your logging. Respect your macros. This truly works.

THANK YOU! I really appreciate all of your help! I will do this!

Remember, they said slowly up to 1750 and sit there a MONTH. Don't put on a few lbs between here and there, freak out, and suddenly drop your intake again. Give it the the suggested amount of time.
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Bounce
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member

Fitbits take the guesswork out. I should've got one from the get go. I was using the one with the biggest calorie allowance. Lol my real tdee was significantly less.
  • I know a lot of us here totally understand your frustration. We've all been there. The thing that separates us people that keep going and the people that give up is the fact that the people that keep going have come to terms with the facts.....weight loss will not happen fast (if it's done in a healthy way)......it's not about dieting it's about changing the way you live.....it's not about the way you look it's about the way you feel....and most important think about all the years that have gone by and you've sat there saying damn time flies. Just think this time next year you could be sitting there saying to yourself that you are so proud and happy that you stuck with it.
  • incognita_m
    incognita_m Posts: 7 Member
    You have to give a D***, if no one else cares, you should. It's your body and if you want it to be a certain way, you have to work for it. As a woman that has been there you just have to continue on, get your head in it. Live strong and don't give in to self doubt. Diet? No Ma'am, eat, but eat healthy... Fruits, vegetables, lean meats... Eating less will only slow you metabolism... Also, find something that grasps your attention like an aerobics class (i.e. Zumba, Bokwa). Some place where you are not alone and there are other people in your situation, wanting to look good and have fun doing. At the least, find a workout buddy, someone who willl and can motivate you and vice versa. Whatever you do, don't give up or give into the phrase, "I can't," because you can... Just think positively...
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Okay ... I get it, been there. I've decided I'm going to do it this time. So, I do not cut out any major food group. I allow myself a little of those things that trip you up if you deny yourself. I never try to loose more than half a pound to a pound a week. Sometimes I loose more, sometimes I loose less, and sometimes I gain. As long as my general direction is down, I'm fine with it. I don't give myself permission to fail, but I don't beat myself up when I stumble. The only way to fail at this is to quit, you will have good days and bad days and sometimes the bad days will be overwhelming. Remember it is temporary, and the good days will come again.

LOVE THIS!! Thank you!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Okay ... I get it, been there. I've decided I'm going to do it this time. So, I do not cut out any major food group. I allow myself a little of those things that trip you up if you deny yourself. I never try to loose more than half a pound to a pound a week. Sometimes I loose more, sometimes I loose less, and sometimes I gain. As long as my general direction is down, I'm fine with it. I don't give myself permission to fail, but I don't beat myself up when I stumble. The only way to fail at this is to quit, you will have good days and bad days and sometimes the bad days will be overwhelming. Remember it is temporary, and the good days will come again.

LOVE THIS!! Thank you!

Forgiveness.
    You have to be able to forgive your own mistakes or the regret will defeat you.
  • sunnshhiine
    and I want to add that a huge part of making this whole thing sustainable is letting go of the bad feelings that come when we mess up, and just getting back to it.... or letting go of guilty for unhealthy choices. Sometimes I want to eat that 400 calorie cupcake and I don't have time to run and if I do so, I do so with intent and awareness that it's against my goals. I will allow myself to do this on rare occasions. It's ok now and again.
    This is FANTASTIC advice. I'm such an "all or nothing" type person that when i slip up, I tend to give up. I'm learning that it's okay to fall off the wagon occasionally. What's NOT acceptable is staying off the wagon. I'm learning to give myself permission to not do this perfectly. What's important is consistency, not perfection. Thanks so much for posting this. I needed to hear it today.

I, too, tend to be an "all or nothing at all" type of person. I found her comment very helpful as well. :)
  • sunnshhiine
    I promise you. You should try insanity.

What is Insanity?
  • sweetpeas317
    sweetpeas317 Posts: 44 Member
    I have not lost alot of weight yet but I have put it in my head that I am not on a diet but I am going to change the way I look at food. I have been seriously watching my intake for only about 2 weeks so I am not a pro at this but I found that if you beat yourself up and make yourself unhappy if you eat a cookie this lifestyle change will never work. I think its truly just about moderation and trying to do at least some form of excersize at least every other day. I have started eating my meals on a salad plate and I can honestly say I am not hungry with the smaller portions. I think we all just are used to filing our plates because the food is there. So lets all continue to motivate eachother and share our success stories and tricks on overcoming the obstacles.
  • sunnshhiine
    I have not lost alot of weight yet but I have put it in my head that I am not on a diet but I am going to change the way I look at food. I have been seriously watching my intake for only about 2 weeks so I am not a pro at this but I found that if you beat yourself up and make yourself unhappy if you eat a cookie this lifestyle change will never work. I think its truly just about moderation and trying to do at least some form of excersize at least every other day. I have started eating my meals on a salad plate and I can honestly say I am not hungry with the smaller portions. I think we all just are used to filing our plates because the food is there. So lets all continue to motivate eachother and share our success stories and tricks on overcoming the obstacles.

I love your idea of a salad plate. Thanks for the ideas!