Whole eggs vs Egg whites

Options

Replies

• cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I typically eat one whole egg scrambled with 3 egg whites, due solely to save the calories. I always keep hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator for a quick snack.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    i read that you shouldn't eat more then one whole egg a day, but if your otherwise healthy i'm sure 2 is no problem. more idk.

Source and reason for this?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Whole! always.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs, im not wasting my chickens eggs!

I occasionally use egg whites from cartons but its mostly to bulk out scrambled eggs/omlettes

Although my typical breakfast is 2 eggs with 2 slices of bacon, or spinach (training/non training days)
  • needanewme87
    Options
    i dont like the yolk. i only eat the whites.. unless the yolk is part of devilled eggs.. but even when hard boiled, i only eat the white.. lol im weird i guess
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    The only reason i only eat the whites is because I dont like the taste of the yolk
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with you people.....WHOLE eggs for sure babycakes!!!!!!!! UMMMMMM YOLK!!!!!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Whole egg!! :)
    Love me some yolk <33

I do 1 egg and 2 eggs whites if I'm making an omelet. :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote from My Drunk Kitchen: "Using only egg whites is a good way to make your omlette sh*tty."
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Whole egg!! :)
    Love me some yolk <33

I do 1 egg and 2 eggs whites if I'm making an omelet. :)

tHATS MY KIND OF WOMAN RIGHT THERE!!!!!
  • cmcoll2
    cmcoll2 Posts: 5
    Options
    When looking at eggs or any foods for that matter, you should consider the nutrient density . Egg yolks are packed with nutrients and as long as you aren't frying them in tons of oil they are very good for you. Consider investigating range free eggs which are even more nutrient dense than caged chickens eggs are. When I was in nursing school my instructor taught us about the benefits of free range eggs in our diet. Studies suggest the nutritional content of eggs from hens that forage daily on a grass range is superior to that of eggs produced by conventional means. These studies report higher levels of Omega 3 and Vitamins A and E, and lower levels of total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, and Omega 6.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Given that there is no proven connection between dietary cholesterol and serum lipids and that almost all of the good stuff is in the yolk........whole eggs every time!

This. Plus egg whites alone are just plain gross. :smile:
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I usually scramble 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of egg whites. I mainly do that so I can get the protein without all the extra calories. And then I can have a side of toast.

And yes, this is for dinner. :bigsmile: :laugh: Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things to do...

But if I don't scramble my eggs, then I eat whole eggs. I only eat egg whites when I scramble them.

I :heart: eggs
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs = delicious
    Egg whites = ridiculous

This^

Please people, look into the cholesterol thing just a little deeper. Eggs are COMPLETELY healthy as are many other foods that contain cholesterol. It's time to kill the cholesterol myth, before anyone else gets hurt/killed by it. Seriously.

But if we just want to use media headlines to dictate what is healthy, then give up eggs and start smoking. (that is NOT a serious recommendation, just an illustration of how ridiculous nutritional advice has become.)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Whole egg! My chickens give me eggs that are very orange because they free range, I'm not wasting that! I can't wait for my ducks to start laying!
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    When i have an omelette for lunch and i used to use whole eggs but now i use one or two whole and substitute egg whites for the remainder (and mix in a bit of low fat chive and onion cottage cheese and whatever else). The omelettes come out well, full of flavour from the other ingredients and still have a little yolk.
  • fitelisa
    fitelisa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had began eating whole eggs and my cholesterol went up like crazy! it takes a while you might not see it go up right away maybe after several months or a year depends how much you eat but I had to go back to 2 egg whites + 1 whole egg for scramble that is healthier mix. Yea I love the yellow part that's the whole thing about the egg!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    i read that you shouldn't eat more then one whole egg a day, but if your otherwise healthy i'm sure 2 is no problem. more idk.

Source and reason for this?

The American Heart Association, for starters, recommends no more than 300 mg dietary cholesterol per day for people with normal LDL levels and less than 200 for those with high LDL levels. A whole egg has about 185 mg. See common misconceptions about cholesterol:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Common-Misconceptions-about-Cholesterol_UCM_305638_Article.jsp
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs. I have had problems with hair loss during weight loss before, and 1 egg yolk contains the US RDA of biotin for the average woman. Biotin deficiency can cause hair loss during rapid weight loss. Consumption of several partially cooked egg whites a day has been linked to biotin deficiency. (Uncooked egg whites bind with biotin, apparently.) I am happy to eat the extra 55 calories and save my hair. One whole egg a day.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/biotin/
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs. I have had problems with hair loss during weight loss before, and 1 egg yolk contains the US RDA of biotin for the average woman. Biotin deficiency can cause hair loss during rapid weight loss. Consumption of several partially cooked egg whites a day has been linked to biotin deficiency. (Uncooked egg whites bind with biotin, apparently.) I am happy to eat the extra 55 calories and save my hair. One whole egg a day.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/biotin/

that may help to explain why my hair and nails have been looking so great lately :smile: