When is it okay to wear a bikini?

Options

Replies

• PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This might not be the most popular response but if your belly sags over the front of your bikini and it looks like you're not actually wearing a bottom piece then you should probably just get a one piece suit.

Also if you are heavier PLEASE get one that fits properly.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    When you go to the beach. Never while shopping at WalMart.

Seriously, wear what you feel good wearing and wear it proud!
    LOL! This!

I'm a curvy size 14/16 and I purchased my first bikini. It's in a retro style (looks like something Marilyn Monroe would have worn). I may have an atypical "bikini body" but I don't care. The trick is feeling good in your own skin, regardless of your size!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    When you go to the beach. Never while shopping at WalMart.

Seriously, wear what you feel good wearing and wear it proud!

The only exception to "never" at WalMart is if that WalMart is, in fact, on the beach. Just make sure you wear a proper cover-up.

I say bikini anytime you are in the vicinity of sand, pool, lounge chair, and sunshine. All shapes and sizes should wear bikinis. The one in your photo is plenty flattering on you.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    The tops of my thighs are still jiggly (but I'm a pear, it's where I store my weight) and my stomach isn't tight but it's not bad! It's fairly flat. Should I just try a bunch of different ones on and see what works or is there a certain type that looks best?

I agree with the other poster that high cut suits can be really flattering, but I might stay away from boy shorts if I was you. Counter-intuitively, I think MORE fabric on the bottom can actually make you look bigger than you are. Maybe try a hipster cut. Really, it's trial and error, but I would say for general guidelines, if you are getting a larger top (like a tankini), stick to a smaller bottom and vice versa. Good luck! You'll rock it, mama!
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    YOLO. Go for it !!!
  • abigailscarlett7
    Options
    When ever you want to wear a bikini!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    When ever you want to wear a bikini!

Exactly. :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you want to then why not?
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Whenever the *kitten* you want. If you feel comfortable enough with your body go for it.

I've lost 34.8lbs, I'm still 23lbs away from my goal, still have a tummy and I'll be in my bikini all summer :laugh:
  • taitmamly
    taitmamly Posts: 19
    Options
    ahh sweetie.

I wore a bikini on my honeymoon last year and I weighed 95kg then (I'm 5ft 6). It felt pretty good.

At the end of the day, if you're comfortable go for it, but make sure that if you're nervous about it then make sure you buy the right kind of bikini for your body shape (I had a tummy controlling bottom and a straight, thick strapped top since I'm fairly overweight but I have an hourglass figure). Also pick colours that suit you and you'll be fine :)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    When is it ok to wear a bikini? When you are confident that you will wear it with confidence and not give a flying fudgenugget who is looking or what they are thinking.

I saw a woman last night wearing a bikini at the pool and she was far from tight and perfect but she had so much confidence she looked awesome! Her size didn't matter, in fact one of them young men (I would say in his early twenties/late teens said to his friends "you can keep the sticks that want to hide their stomach with a T-shirt I want someone like that!" and pointed to her.

So if you want to wear it right now, do so.

***ETA - the sticks comment was verbatum him - not my opinion at all.

also typos I never proof read so I was fixing those too.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i wear a bikini....

i'm not perfect

my SO's eyes just about fall out of his head every single time he sees me...

I don't wear it to work....so I would say it's not ok then.
  • alisha_1983
    alisha_1983 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Really?

It's ok when YOU say it's ok! If u feel like rockin a bikini... Then rock it :)
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    22 degrees C* and up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits, then whenever you want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Lets instead discuss when it is NOT ok to wear a bikini;
    1. Picking up your children from school
    2. Visiting your grandparents at their work
    3. Church
    4. While frying bacon
    5. Working on a sewer line
    6. If you are a man

Unless you are a man who can work a bikini, then ignore number 6! no judgement!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I wore my first bikini when I was about a year old. I'll be 43 in a few weeks .... and I've worn a bikini every summer and/or vacation in between.

Wear what you feel comfortable in.

I admire you!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Pear shape here, enormous thighs and saddle bags that giggle jiggle jangle when I walk, but if I wear a one piece, I'm covering up my best feature, my middle. Granted, after two kids it's not perfect, but my shoulders and waist are the best, so I see no reason to cover them up with a tankini or one piece that would just show off my wide thighs.

I wear a string bikini or a halter style two piece, L on the bottom, and a S or M on the top, first thing to go was my awesome knockers.. damn. But I've come to accept that this is likely how I'll always look, big jiggly thighs. So instead of being insecure about it, I got over it. I'm at a point in my life where I am done giving a *kitten* what any total stranger on a beach thinks about my wide child-bearing hips that gave me two amazing beautiful children.

Besides, if that's actually you in your profile picture, you have nothing to worry about

ETA: my 10 year old daughter hates one piece suits and tankinis. She is growing up eating healthy, learning healthy lifestyle from me, and I don't believe she should ever feel ashamed to wear a bikini.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9.5" tall and I weigh 163 164 pounds! Since November I've lost over 30 pounds! I wear a size 10 now :) Even though I'm not tight would it be okay to wear a bikini? In my picture I weigh about 185 btw

Yes, you can wear a bikini if that is what you want. Your weight is fine.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    everybody can

53aguS1.jpg