i just made awful cookies/ share your recipe failures

Options
spaghetti93
spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
I decided to make some "skinny no-bake cookies" and found a recipe that was pretty simple... They weren't inedible but they were just... blah. kind of like sweetened dirt clumps i guess.
By now I should have realized that "skinny" in the title of a recipe almost always guarantees boring and bland results. (ALMOST always)
Looking through the recipe forum it seems like half of theses really don't seem edible... (frozen clumps of cool whip? oh my god people. just eat a little ice cream once in a while.)

tell me your horror stories.

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The first (and only) thing I ever made from a Pinterest recipe was the lemon angel food cake concoction where you're supposed to combine lemon pie filling/lemon curd with an angel food cake mix and bake. 15 minutes into baking it began overflowing like lava all over my oven. The lemon curd was a bit expensive, so I tried to salvage it, but to no avail.

That was the first and last time I ever took a "blogger's" word for anything. Now when I see something that looks good on Pinterest, I immediately pull up allrecipes and find something similar that has actually been tested and reviewed.

Like you, I avoid any recipe with "skinny" or "healthy" in the title. They generally taste bland and have a texture similar to sawdust. I'll just budget a few more calories for the real deal.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I recently made a recipe I called Capered Artichicken. I think it would have worked out fine if I hadn't had to work late that night. 12 hours in a crockpot does not delicious chicken make.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I'm cooking beans and I forget and I burn them. The smell of burnt beans is NASTY. This typically happens when I'm frying them. lol
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    a lot of the two ingredient recipes posted here are gross.

most are edible, and fairly simple to make, but bear no relation to the real thing.

I'd personally rather have one real cookie than two banana oatmeal clods.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I decided to make some "skinny no-bake cookies" and found a recipe that was pretty simple... They weren't inedible but they were just... blah. kind of like sweetened dirt clumps i guess.
    By now I should have realized that "skinny" in the title of a recipe almost always guarantees boring and bland results. (ALMOST always)
    Looking through the recipe forum it seems like half of theses really don't seem edible... (frozen clumps of cool whip? oh my god people. just eat a little ice cream once in a while.)

tell me your horror stories.

And now I know that you don't consider sweetened dirt clumps to be inedible. :flowerforyou:

Agreed btw on a lot of the "skinny" recipes. I've never tried one that I liked.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I seem to screw up anything with rice not sure why lol
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    My healthy brownies last night didn't set. I need to eat them with a spoon
  • dxwatson2
    dxwatson2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I recently made a recipe I called Capered Artichicken. I think it would have worked out fine if I hadn't had to work late that night. 12 hours in a crockpot does not delicious chicken make.

I did something very similar with a recipe that was supposed to yield Lemon Chicken after cooking in the crockpot. The chicken was dry and tasted like biting into a lemon.
  • spaghetti93
    Options
    i dont want to hear about 3 ingredient brownies unless one of the ingredients is "box of brownie mix"....

and the only thing ive ever actually made that i found on this forum was skinny chili. But chili is really hard to screw up anyway... i probably didnt really need the recipe lol
  • spaghetti93
    Options

as long as the batter tastes good, i have no problem with gooey brownie batter
  • TigressPat
    Options
    i dont want to hear about 3 ingredient brownies unless one of the ingredients is "box of brownie mix"....

and the only thing ive ever actually made that i found on this forum was skinny chili. But chili is really hard to screw up anyway... i probably didnt really need the recipe lol

nods

actually, the only easy "low cal" recipe I have liked here includes boxed cake mix!
  • TigressPat
    Options

does that at least mean they are worth eating?
    because the spoon thing wouldn't put me off in the slightest!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every fritter I have tried to make fails and doesn't cook. It's like.. fritter slop...
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    those five ingredient protein balls ... blergh
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Homemade protein bars with whey, oats, and almond milk. Disaster central to say the least. That recipe needs a major overhaul, maybe peanut butter and honey next time. . .
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I tried to make a free form pie with ricotta and cherry filling.

It was a goopy horrible mess that ended up looking like a murder scene. Terrible. Fat free ricotta does not a good pie filling make
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I tired some sort of protein thing with oats, banana, protein powder and peanut butter. It was supposed to be frozen - even my kids wouldn't eat it. Seemed like a good idea at the time...
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I made REALLY awful 3-4 ingredient, no flour pumpkin cookies. Needless to say, I managed to get a bite...but boy was it NASTYY. Such a waste...

On a lighter note, I made a spinach/cheese/mushroom frittata I found on here two nights ago. They're amazing!!!
  • perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    scones like rocks... I just cannot bake a scone no matter what
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I made REALLY awful 3-4 ingredient, no flour pumpkin cookies. Needless to say, I managed to get a bite...but boy was it NASTYY. Such a waste...

I think I made these same cookies.... so disgusting! I had a few bites and shuddered through each one, but I felt so bad for wasting ingredients!