Will DIET sodas cause me to gain weight?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It can cause you to crave sweets and or carbs like bready doughy things which in turn can cause weight gain.. And I say this from experience ., after losing all the weight I figured why not have some diet pop it's zero cals.... No☝ just don't do it to yourself +6 lbs after maintaining for 4 months only diff I made before the gain was diet soda????
    Anecdotes aren't evidence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It can cause you to crave sweets and or carbs like bready doughy things which in turn can cause weight gain.. And I say this from experience ., after losing all the weight I figured why not have some diet pop it's zero cals.... No☝ just don't do it to yourself +6 lbs after maintaining for 4 months only diff I made before the gain was diet soda????
    Anecdotes aren't evidence.
    And the plural of anecdotes =/= data.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    "drinking diet soda is associated with a wider waist in humans"

FACE PALM

"diet soda is high in sodium"

DOUBLE FACE PALM

"It can cause you to crave sweets and or carbs like bready doughy things which in turn can cause weight gain.. And I say this from experience ., after losing all the weight I figured why not have some diet pop it's zero cals.... No☝ just don't do it to yourself +6 lbs after maintaining for 4 months only diff I made before the gain was diet soda????"

TRIPLE FACE PALM

FFS, I need to quit reading the forums
  • sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options
    No, it doesn't have calories or sugar do you won't gain weight based on the nutrition alone.

I also don't buy into the hype that it causes sweet cravings. If it does, is that any worse than the sugar addiction from regular soda that is loaded with sugar, carbs, and calories?

I don't drink it very often because lymph node issues run in my family, and aspartame can make it worse, so it's a prevention thing for me. I still have one on occasion though. I still think it's a better alternative to high calorie drinks loaded with sugar.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oh yes it's true. If you drink 12oz of diet soda you will instantly gain the exact amount of weight.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Oh yes it's true. If you drink 12oz of diet soda you will instantly gain the exact amount of weight.
    Well, there is that - but 12 oz. of organically-grown, unicorn-blessed broccoli would have the exact same effect, no?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It says 0 calories on the bottle.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you're tracking calories and meeting targets, no.
    If you're thinking, "I had a diet coke at lunch, so that justifies eating a whole pizza for dinner", then yes.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't gain permanently, but diet soda seems to make me retain a lot of water and feel bloated, and I only drink them on the rare occasion (like while visiting my parents because they have it there). If I have one the day prior to my weigh-in day, I will surely be up a pound or more or simply show no loss for the week. Sure enough, the next week, I am down double what I normally lose. Hope this helps.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I hope not, since i just had some diet ginger ale (and a 10 calorie one at that) so if 0 calorie causes magical weight gain i am screwed.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Well, there is that - but 12 oz. of organically-grown, unicorn-blessed broccoli would have the exact same effect, no?

You sir, had better stop criticizing unicorns if you know what's good for you ;)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Another non reader
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    It says 0 calories on the bottle.

There's actually 2.6 cals on a diet coke bottle, But in Usa if its under 5 cals they can sell it as 0

.......so maybe if you drank 10.000 bottles a day which put you over you cal goal everyday then yeah maybe you could get fat, But somehow i don't think that possible
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Gain weight...Yes, BUT MORE Importantly the ph level for soda is about 2 - 2.5. RIGHT in there with battery acid. What a GREAT set-up for Disease.

ETA: So is Gatorade, and the rest of those so called energy and hydration drinks. Even most of the bottled waters are acidic (not as bad as soda, but bad). And just think, Athletes and people drink these things for performance, and all the while they are killing them! WOW!!!

Do you sell or recycle the tinfoil hats you use up with all the crazy conspiracy/lunatic ideas you spread?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Yes
    MD

June 13, 2005 -- People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.

The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

"What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to overweight and obesity," Fowler tells WebMD. "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even higher."

In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.

"There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says.

More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain

Fowler's team looked at seven to eight years of data on 1,550 Mexican-American and non-Hispanic white Americans aged 25 to 64. Of the 622 study participants who were of normal weight at the beginning of the study, about a third became overweight or obese.

For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
    26% for up to 1/2 can each day
    30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
    32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.

For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
    36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
    37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
    54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.

For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%.

Diet Soda No Smoking Gun

Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

"One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda," Fowler suggests. "But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity."

Why? Nutrition expert Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, puts it in a nutshell.

"You have to look at what's on your plate, not just what's in your glass," Bonci tells WebMD.

People often mistake diet drinks for diets, says Bonci, director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and nutrition consultant to college and professional sports teams and to the Pittsburgh Ballet.

"A lot of people say, 'I am drinking a diet soft drink because that is better for me. But soft drinks by themselves are not the root of America's obesity problem," she says. "You can't go into a fast-food restaurant and say, 'Oh, it's OK because I had diet soda.' If you don't do anything else but switch to a diet soft drink, you are not going to lose weight."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no, but it will cause starvation mode....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/splenda-blood-sugar-sucralose-insulin_n_3362122.html

Artificial sweeteners such as sucralose seem to increase blood sugar peaks and insulin. Looks like aspartame used in diet sodas may have a similar effect according to animal studies. High Insulin levels inhibits mobilization of fat cells to release fatty acids so it would interfere with fat loss, and can cause hypoglycemia leading to cravings for sugary food..

Looks like the evidence is a correlational, so it doesn't show causation. If fat people wear fanny packs and skinny people don't, then fanny packs could be the cause of obesity. So there really is no evidence to show that drinking diet soda leads to fat gain.
    ice-cream-vs-drowning.jpg

Holy *kitten* I never knew ice cream caused that many drowning deaths! no more ice cream for me...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I've Lost a few pounds drinking 3 or 4 diet pepsi a day, so I am going to say that would be a No......:drinker:
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    June 13, 2005 -- People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.

The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.
    This is an epidemiological study. Such studies often confuse correlation with causation, as evidenced by her remarks further down the page:
    Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.
    Such as excess caloric intake because of idiot dieters who think that drinking diet soda negates anything/everything else they stuff in their pie holes.

Once again, correlation =/= causation. I'll once again trot out my own epidemiological study examining observations I've made over years of being in gyms to tout the ridiculousness of confusing correlation with causation: I see a lot of fat people on treadmills; therefore, using a treadmill makes you fat.
  • scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options
    Ive lost 80lbs and drink diet sodas every day. Wish I could kick the habbit and only drink water.

Same here...and I drank a lot of it. I lost 70 lbs 5 years ago...kept it off for 3 years, and then put about half that back on...darn life events getting in the way. I have cut down from far more than I'd like to admit to 3 cans of diet coke a day...I, personally, don't have more cravings for sweets, and I'm seeing weight loss (nearly 20 lbs in 2 months)

So, I would say...if you enjoy diet soda...try to consume in moderation...but if you sense that you have excessive cravings, etc..then try to cut it out of your diet.