Enter exercise, depression exit stage left

Options
2»

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I too have had problems with depression for many years. For a few months I was on Prozac but that just made me feel like a zombie. I couldn't cry, sure, but I couldn't laugh either. Strenuous cardio exercise is much better than pills!! It gives one a short term goal to achieve and gets the physical & mental aspects of the body energized.
  • areason4stars
    Options
    I used to get these horrible debilitating panic attack and in addition to the depression and some other chronic illness I dropped out of high school. It has been a battle daily but since then I have gone on to get my associates degree.... and now I am in a RN program ( graduating July 2009).

I used to think I couldn’t do it with out my meds but since I got pregnant with my son, I went off all the meds ( both of the anxiety meds and the antidepressants) I was in the middle of getting my associates degree when that happened. I was sure I was doomed and would drop out just like before. During the same time my roommate/ best friend started an diet and exercise program. She started dragging me out ever night to walk with her. Also I had been working at a physically intense job for about a year. I think both of these increase in activity helped tremendously. After my son was born I fell back into a sedentary lifestyle going to school and staying at home with a baby. I could feel myself falling into the hole of imbalanced mental health. Being a single mom I could NOT afford this to happen I have to finish school and get my career going to give my son a stable ( well as stable as life can be) life . Everyday I go to the gym is a struggle , fighting against the panic attacks and depression as I walk in and see all these "beautiful people" but I walk in and jump on a machine and do it.... and the strangest thing happens 15-20 min into it they all disappear and its just me and the power I am creating. Its the best high ever.

I have been free from the antidepressants and the anxiety meds since Dec 2005.

Wow that was a bit more long winded then I planned. In short ITA! ;)
  • areason4stars
    Options
    I wanted to add a disclaimer..

I don't think medications are bad they can help and do. I don't think I could have gotton where I am with out them.

Also exercise is not the cure all or anything, I have been in therapy before which did help A LOT.

I think the meds, therapy, and just some plain old "soul searching" had huge parts, but exercise has played a part in there too.
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    I wanted to add a disclaimer..

I don't think medications are bad they can help and do. I don't think I could have gotton where I am with out them.

Also exercise is not the cure all or anything, I have been in therapy before which did help A LOT.

I think the meds, therapy, and just some plain old "soul searching" had huge parts, but exercise has played a part in there too.

excellent post. I, myself, don't take any prescriptions but don't reserve judgment for those who find it useful.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Yes! Everyone is different! I have been off and on many different prescriptions such as Welbutrin, Lexapro, and Prozac...and eventually taken myself off. I am not good with taking daily medications..and would always forget or skip or eventually think I am fine and just stop taking them.. I went four years without anything and recently decided to start taking better care of myself..both mentally and physically. I think both play a huge part in Depression..but it is hard..because you have to mentally want it and physically do it.. when I find myself slipping a little it is really hard to get back up! I also suffer from Migraines..have since I was a teenager..so my dr put me on something called Nortriptyline to tackle both the headaches and the depression. I have to say between the meds, Eating better( thanks to MFP) , and exercise..I feel like this is the best I have ever been! And this is even during one of the hardest times in my life i am saying this.. ( My son has been very sick since September and in and out of the hospital) and I feel as though I am able to cope with such setbacks better than I ever have before~! Some people do better without meds..I thought I was one of them...till I slowly feel myself falling behind again.. so I guess I am in the group that benefits from antidepressants. :smile:
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    There's definitely nothing wrong with that. Some of my family members have the same experience and they've benefited for the best.

If I'm depressed, than 90% of the time it's because I've gone without exercise. The euphoria is otherworldly and my iPod providing the soundtrack to my victory only makes it that much stronger.
  • btingle89
    btingle89 Posts: 13
    Options
    I was very glad to find your post and to see that so many people are struggling with the same issues that I am. When I moved to a different city to go to college I lost what little support system I had and fell into a pretty dark hole. I gained so much weight and even continued to gain weight after I was started on medication. It took almost 3 years to find the right combination of medication that actually allowed me to stop gaining. The sad thing about medication, which I found out after I started working in the behavioral health field is that a side effect of a lot of psychotropic medication is weight gain :frown:

Food is like a drug for some people. I am unfortunately one of those people. I have been in therapy for a few years and have finally started getting some insight into why I binge eat or eat fast food to comfort myself. I have realized that I over eat when I feel out of control or feel that I have no control in my environment. Looking back it seems like such an obvious answer, but given the amount of money I have spent on therapy it obviously wasn't :wink:

I always feel better when I exercise and eat healthy, but it does get challenging at times. My ob/gyn suggested a few vitamins to add to my daily routine and I found that after adding them I had more energy and desire to stay on track. Because of some issues with money I have not been able to buy the vitamins and have noticed a major difference in a lack of motivation and energy. I guess I know what I am buying with my stimulus check! :laugh:

The nice thing about MFP is the forums, I am totally pumped right now after reading everyones words of wisdom and support that I want to go to the gym right now to feel that burn but given the time I don't think that is going to happen. I'll have to remember to sign on and read some more tomorrow to build up my desire again. :flowerforyou:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Of course medication and therapy are important "tools". Not evrybody needs them, but where they are needed they are part of the whole therapy.

Summing up what was said before I believe it is correct to say that in most cases exercise ( in addition to other "treatments") really does help a lot. Right?

So then as the one who wants to help and be supportive the question is: how do you get someone to exercise if that person does not even want to get out of the house?

What works for you?
  • LML79
    Options
    Of course medication and therapy are important "tools". Not evrybody needs them, but where they are needed they are part of the whole therapy.

Summing up what was said before I believe it is correct to say that in most cases exercise ( in addition to other "treatments") really does help a lot. Right?

So then as the one who wants to help and be supportive the question is: how do you get someone to exercise if that person does not even want to get out of the house?

What works for you?

Yes that's a tough one.. I think anyone who has ever been depressed..either for a short period of time or long..knows just getting out of bed some days is a big accomplishment.

I don't know what really did it for me.. because I have always struggled with not having enough energy to just get through one day..nevermind working out and eating right..

I just woke up one morning and it clicked.. I got up..ate healthy that day and worked out that night.. it was one of the better of my days...and working out made me feel good...so I wanted to continue with that feeling.

Some days are better than others but I know the days I push myself to live a "normal" healthy day are the days I feel my best! I think everyone gets into their little "funk"..and for some it is harder to get out of it than others. I think depression is a mental, emotional and physical battle that comes in waves for me at least... I have just learned to ride the wave as long as I can!
  • jilldan55
    jilldan55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i lost weight due to depression but once I finally got it under control... my weight came back. However, the depression use to get so bad that I felt like I was suffocating and I would have to go the beach and run, so that I could get air into my lungs. I swear it always made me feel better. I would be exhausted and out of breath but felt the best I thought I could feel. I am on medication now that was a miracle but I still believe the exercise was the best that I could have done for myself before the medication took effect.

I wish all of you who battle with this luck. it can be very consuming.
  • btingle89
    btingle89 Posts: 13
    Options
    I really need to take some time to think about what will work best for me......I will let everyone know when i get a few ideas :)

What works for you?
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Luckily I've never suffered from depression but I definitely find that exercise makes me feel good. Sometimes I get a 'rush' when I exercise, it almost feels like being on drugs but it's completely natural and good for you! Afterwards I feel tired but very relaxed and happy, and I have higher self-esteem in general because I can see my body changing and I feel closer to reaching my goal. It's taken a long time to get to this point (I used to hate exercising) but it's one of the best things I've ever done for myself.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

What works for you?

I have to talk to myself and remind myself of the following: "I will feel better after I go." (Sometimes my husband tells me. ) I have to constantly recognize that this is an illness, and exercise is the only medicine I'm on right now. If I had a headache, I wouldn't need motivation to take an aspirin. Many times I don't feel motivated until I go, even now as a moderately in-shape person who apparently enjoys exercise. Also, because my depression also includes anxiety, I have a collection of workout DVDs, so I can work out even if I don't feel like I can leave the house (some days it's a profound problem/challenge for me to do this). It's also important, if there's a gym involved, to find a safe, friendly environment. I just started at a new gym, (I'd been at my previous one for two years and they almost never called me by my name) at my new gym, I am greeted by people by my name. It is magic.

(that got long) So, to sum up:
    feel better afterwards (exercise=medicine)
    DVDs for workout at home when leaving home is too difficult
    and
    positive, accepting workout environment.

:flowerforyou:
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options

What works for you?

I too, have battled with depression for years, and agree with all the previous posts! As for how to get another person to get out of bed...that's tricky. My only suggestion is, that if he/she is having a "good" day, and does get up, and say, join you for a walk, bike ride, etc, have him/her write down IN DETAIL how they feel afterwards. Then, the next time they aren't in the mood...they can read over how they felt the last time, and maybe that would serve as a motivator.
  • momtozac
    momtozac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new here and this is exactly what my problem is. I crave carbs because my serotonin is low. More carbs means more weight though.

Exercise does make me feel better, when I do it. I need to find the energy! I take fish oil too which makes me feel better.

Natalie
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I am reading this with great interest. I always felt that exercise elevates your mood. Does it for me too. But I am not depressed. Reading everything you guys said here allows me to generally recommend exercise to someone as help with depression. It seems as if it can significantly reduce the amount of medicine you need to take if any.
  • LML79
    Options
    I am reading this with great interest. I always felt that exercise elevates your mood. Does it for me too. But I am not depressed. Reading everything you guys said here allows me to generally recommend exercise to someone as help with depression. It seems as if it can significantly reduce the amount of medicine you need to take if any.

Yeah I would recommend it first...and then obviously if the signs of depression are really serious....or suicidal.... then that person should seek medical help..and most likely be put on medication. But it would be nice of just the exercise worked!
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    Reading everything you guys said here allows me to generally recommend exercise to someone as help with depression. It seems as if it can significantly reduce the amount of medicine you need to take if any.

Every individual is unique but your statement right there definitely applies to me. High fives to your better judgment.
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    I realized that when I was in highschool as a freshmen in 1999, I had no physical activity going on. I was also miserable and facing alot of tribulation. My diet was HORRIBLE and fast food induced, something I now heavily avoid like the plague. I had no encouragement from my parental units but my grandparents were wonderful, just different perspectives and I was really rebellious.

Now since three years have passed, I've still had my bumps here and there, but I feel so much more control over my life just because of the effect it had with my body. Exercise truly is a mood reliever. Think of the stress relief in boxing, the agility overdose in running, the power of thunder in weight training --- all heaven sent blessings.