Walking

Options

Replies

• dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever read a thread on this site where literally everybody agreed!

Yes! Walking good! Go for it and good luck with your journey.
  • foxylady522
    Options
    bump
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Yep - it tends to be my go to exercise becuase I'm stuck at a desk all day. I found some great ideas for changing it up yesterday on the prevention website.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    walking and gardening are the 2 things that have made me loose 12.8 lbs along with eating less calories.
    It's a great way to start exercising and the only real coast is a good pair of boots or trainers.
  • StevenjHaley
    Options
    Walking has been a great help me. I fell off the wagon recently but I have climbed back on and have started out walking again. At about 7.00am I walk my daughter to her school bus, see her off. Put my tunes on and then go up the local running track for at least an hour's walk. Some blokes are up there kicking a ball around so I have a knock about with them also.

I grab my breakfast on the way home and usually sit and eat it on a bench in the morning sunshine. Its a great way to start the day.

I read somewhere the other day that its good to surprise the body a bit, so every now and then break into a speedy speed walk for a minute or so or find a few flights of stairs to walk up. I am not sure if this works but its worth trying. I live on the ground floor so I am trying to get into the habit of pretending I live on the 6th and that the lift is broke.

Its summer here now and morning temps can be a hot and humid 25+ degrees so it all works up a nice sweat.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Yes, You can. Go to Youtube and type in Leslie Sansone. Start with the 1 mile and then work your way up. You don't even have to leave the house.

Walk, walk, walk!

Start here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE

Oh thanks for this! I am going to use this on rainy/stormy days. :D
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 35 pounds by walking and a reduced dietary intake. Although now I am very active at the gym and with Yoga, I still shoot for at least 10,000 steps a day. I use the striiv Smart Pedometer which is a great motivator to keep moving. If you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, you can download the striiv pedometer App for free. There are other pedometer Apps available as well.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise! Many people prefer running, simply because you can burn off calories in a shorter period of time, but walking is fantastic anyway. Keep it up!
  • nccheesehead
    nccheesehead Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The answer is Yes! I lost 20lbs by watching diet and walking. I used a fitbit to track steps and made sure I hit 10,000 steps (about 4.5 mi) everyday. I have since gone to trying 30 day shred but continue to add in walking 2- 3 days a week.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am a new mom.
    Oh, and congratulations!
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I do is walk. I average about 25 miles per week. I have lost 31 pounds during the past two months.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You can try the Leslie Sansone videos. I actually found some on YouTube last night :)
  • MacDHH
    MacDHH Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's a very practical form of exercise for a new mum because it puts babies to sleep and the fresh air is good for them anyway :) Congrats!
  • KPMP1992
    KPMP1992 Posts: 66
    Options
    Walking is my primary form of exercise because I know I can stick with it for the rest of my life. :) And yes, I lose weight from it. I also know someone that lost 80 lbs. with walking every day (without drastically changing her diet).

ETA: I also use the Leslie Sansone "Walk Away The Lbs" videos in the winter. You can really work up a sweat doing those!
  • jstbme
    jstbme Posts: 3
    Options
    If you continue to walk you will see progress. At times it may not show on the scale but in inches you will see it. Keep at it>
  • foxylady522
    Options
    I have to say that I was very surprised by the Leslie Sansone 2 mile walk video on You Tube. I used it this morning and burned 216 calories in 32 minutes. I didn't think that I would be able to get that much of a burn with the video!
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I walk six miles a day, if I have to go somewhere if I can walk there, I do it :D

I only add a little exercise, mainly for toning and maybe a little extra cardio but for the last five months my weapon of choice is walking x
  • culkin1
    culkin1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner. I developed arthritis so I can't run especially with the 100 pounds I gained over the years. I've lost 24 pounds so far through walking and an elliptical at the gym at work. So yes, it can be done. Over time I increased my pace and distance. But take it slow. Don't be in a hurry to increase things.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, but it doesn't burn a ton of calories, I"ve found since I got my pedometer. Actually I was pretty disappointed in the calorie count from it. Just don't overestimate what you're burning.
  • 2276claudia
    Options
    Im been walking for like 7 weeks and I not loosing to much weigh but my body is getting better shape so is good to walk.

Keep walking and drink a lot of water soon you can see a diference