Jeeeeeese give yourselves a break!

Options

Replies

• Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The problem is that there is *always* a special occasion, and your friends were probably very worried about "backsliding". I know I am after all the effort that I put in. If you "lived a little" every time someone else wanted you to it would put you right back where you started.

Agreed!
  • haidos
    haidos Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm all for it. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    A simple way of dealing with this is : focus on the people and the conversations. "Living a little" doesn't have to equal food intake. The satisfaction can be from chatting with friends, enjoying the weather etc. If something looks appetizing, have a few bites, eat slowly and really savour it. It's not all or nothing.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options

Hardly anyone that's on here can seem to ever enjoy themselves properly!

Not me. On Easter Sunday, which also happened to be my birthday, I ate a light breakfast, very light breakfast, then pigged out during my birthday meal in the restaurant later that evening. I did not go over my calories :drinker:
    Nor me I eat when I want and what I want nothing is off limits I'd hate to live my life worrying over what I put in my mouth, I exercise hard (which I love doing btw) so I can stuff my face full of lovely food mmmmmmm????
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yeah im sorry if i dont want to ruin my diet because you "might" be offended because you cooked or you weigh more then me. Yeah I should be allowed to come and socialize and NOT have to feel pressured to eat all that crap. If its SUCH a inconvience for you why not ask your quests what they are willing to eat or offer to cook their food if they bring it, i mean really you would complain if they didnt come sounds like your upset because you slipped up and they werent willing too.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    HA! I just posted a thread asking what to do because family is coming in town and get offended if I don't eat their cooking. In regards to your situation though, I do think it is rude not to eat at all. If it was a BBQ of 30, then no big deal, it isn't obvious who is eating and who is not. But when there are just a handful of guests, fill your plate up with fruit and veggies, but eat something.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Most of the posts on here indicate people are taking plenty of opportunities to binge.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Well done to everyone losing weight and trying so hard etc.

but you are all going to hate me for saying this............

I'm sick of seeing people whinging about family occasions, BBQs, parties etc and oooooooh what can they avoid eating during that time and what else shall they bring/maybe even turn down the invite?
    Tip- go to the gym before and then the day after! Live a little for gods sake!

I had a BBQ last Friday, loads of yummy food i prepp'd that I cooked and paid for and 2 of the 4 people that were there......didn't eat anything because they were fussing over putting weight on ( they are the perfect weight and im heavier than them) its so rude, i wish they hadn't bothered coming!
    I spend six days of the week being careful and working out so i deserve a treat!

I've been away from mfp for a week due to being ill and being generally too busy, and i actually feel better and less guilty for it!

I'm all up for healthy alternatives but think about the Host on the other side, and life's to short!
    Lol, I have a big family and it seems that just about every weekend there's a family event going on and of course food is involved.
    I'm with you on this because I've basically stayed the same for the last 25 years (physique wise) NOT abstaining for parties.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You know, if I had to choose a social event which I would pick to go too if I was dieting it would be one of my BBQs: loads of delicious, well marinated grilled meat and fish, vegetable kebabs, home made potato salad garnished with spring onions, home made coleslaw, resplendent salads with brightly coloured leafy vegatables with pine nuts added to preference, elderflower fizz with mint to drink or booze as required.

You get to choose what you eat and how much but even with a challenging calorie goal you could eat and drink well.

Having to go to an occasion like this doesn't mean having to break your diet one iota. It's sad people think that is the case...

And yeah, her guests were rude.
  • projectbam
    projectbam Posts: 55
    Options
    Yeah im sorry if i dont want to ruin my diet because you "might" be offended because you cooked or you weigh more then me. Yeah I should be allowed to come and socialize and NOT have to feel pressured to eat all that crap. If its SUCH a inconvience for you why not ask your quests what they are willing to eat or offer to cook their food if they bring it, i mean really you would complain if they didnt come sounds like your upset because you slipped up and they werent willing too.

^ Agree. "In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher." - the Dalai Lama
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm happy I have a lot of awesome friends.

Years ago, before I had any weight issues myself, I was having a huge party and I knew a number of my friends were doing South Beach or Atkins (it was new then). So I asked them, "Hey, what kinds of snacks can you guys eat? I don't want to exclude anyone."

The overwhelming response was, "It's a party, dammit! We'll eat anything!"

And I've applied that attitude to my own life, and it's worked very well. I go by the 80-20 rule. Eat well 80% of the time, and have fun with the other 20%. Even if there's a food-based celebration once a week, that's just one meal out of 35 over the course of that week.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I predict that this will not go well. Good luck, OP. :flowerforyou:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Naw, there are plenty of us. We're just out enjoying life instead of posting about it.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The problem is that there is *always* a special occasion, and your friends were probably very worried about "backsliding". I know I am after all the effort that I put in. If you "lived a little" every time someone else wanted you to it would put you right back where you started.

yes but my point was why bother coming??? It was a waste and there are starving people around the world!

You just said that people shouldn't cancel their plans because of their diets. You should be able to enjoy their company whether they eat or not. As long as they're not being annoying about it.

If we ate just because there are starving people elsewhere we'd all be huge.

I agree. There's always something going on, so if I went to everything and lived a little every time, I'd be right back to where I was. I believe in moderation too, but I prefer planning my "live a little moments" myself and accounting for those calories because I'm more successful that way. I hate when people try to push food on me. You were careful to prepare for your off day, but maybe they weren't planning on having an off day just yet.

I also agree that you should be able to enjoy their company whether food is involved or not. However, I understand that it could be frustrating if you've put a lot of effort into cooking, and nobody is eating anything because they're trying to stick to their plan. However they're trying to lose/maintain their weight and improve their health. Don't you want them to be successful? Maybe next time you could have healthy options there. Or instead of food based events, how about planning more active things like hikes or walks together? I'm sure they'd like the exercise, and they'd feel supported.
  • langurmonkey
    Options

Naw, there are plenty of us. We're just out enjoying life instead of posting about it.

Also the implication is that you cannot enjoy yourself if you are calorie counting. I don't think that is very true - in my case it just makes me think a bit about what my priorities are for that day. I am sure we all know that the battle we are fighting is 90% a mental one, so anything that makes it easier to do the "right" thing automatically, without thinking about it is fine in my book. Adding an extra level of stress trying to work out of this occasion is "special" enough is something I can do without.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I agree, it also cracks me up when people start stressing about a holiday weeks before it comes. Like fatty foods aren't a problem outside November and stores only sell chocolate during Easter? How did people make every small, insignificant decision in their lives before they had MFP to turn to? And don't get me started on women in their 20's, 30's, 40's asking questions about how to eat or exercise while on their periods, like they never had one before.
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy food is healthy for the soul. :)
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a bad example because I don't log carefully on the weekends. I watch what I eat and don't go overboard like I used to, but I refuse to spend the only downtime I have pulling out the abacus and doing math.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I know what u mean,
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Amen! Some folks just have to go through the process though before they come out the other side.