Question for those who rarely slip up ...

Options

Replies

• melissa62094
    melissa62094 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started on Monday but I have not slipped up because I want to make a change. There has to be something that motivated you to start losing weight and use that to prove to yourself why this is the best option. Also, whenever you think about food that you are craving always second guess yourself tell your brain that it is wrong and that food is nothing but flour, fat, sugar and corn syrup. It is a lifestyle change and you have to want it so badly but in the end food is not worth the weight. It tastes good for what? 2 minutes and then you regret it years later. Once you start being consistent you will never want to go back to your old ways because you are never going to be happier! I wish you luck everyone deserves to be happy with themselves.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    that's exactly what I do ... when I'm logging and it really works for me to! The problem is when I decide to not log for a few days because I know that I'll be going way over calories/macros - it literally takes me weeks to get back to logging on again and I eat with no regard for what I'm putting in my mouth. That's the issue really.

If you don't log it because you are going over it doesn't change how many calories you are putting into your body. If you fear being judged, make your diary private. Every journey to health and wellness is unique, and we all have our emotional baggage when it comes to food. You will learn a lot by logging you heavy eating days.

This. Log everything, be totally honest even when you've eaten an entire pizza, half a tub of ice cream, and are drinking a six pack of Deschutes Twilight. It's amazing how knowing how horrible that is helps keep the urge to do it again at bay.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Uh, well, if you don't count the first 53 years and two months of my life BEFORE I finally made the commitment to lose the weight and get a healthy lifestyle in the process....

For me, it was just my commitment level. This is the time of the year when it is really hard to not slip up. I swell up in the heat, and then freeze to death in my office (Houston, TX, gotta love it) Logging is king. Getting my activity level up and adding more Barre3 daily (I am hitting 30 minutes per day very consistently, the on line videos that change / get new/ every month help tremendously).

I think averaging 1 pound a month is great, 1 pound a week fantastic. Keep up the great work!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    ... how do you do it?

Theoretically if I'd had my holiday/weekend away and then reigned it in again straight away I could be probably be 7-10lbs lighter than I am now.

You answered your own question!!! It's all about logging everything everyday...even on your vacation. It's harder to start once you stop, so DON'T STOP.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I like what I eat and I would rather have abs than overeat.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    it literally takes me weeks to get back to logging on again and I eat with no regard for what I'm putting in my mouth. That's the issue really.

something that ive noticed with a lot of people is that they mess up or "cheat" once out with friends and then think "well i already messed this day up, might as well eat whatever and then get back on it tomorrow." What you should think is well i messed up that meal, and it was delicious, now its time to eat healthy again... allow yourself a treat here and there, but when you stumble you dont have to fall, dont be upset with yourself, its just one little slip, now get back up and focus on what you want most, not what you want now.
  • luvtcuk
    luvtcuk Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I usually put on 3-4 pounds on vacation and vacation is ended but I still in vacation mode. I continue to eat for a few more weeks and put on some more pounds. And this time I keep telling myself that vacation is over but my brain keep urging me to eat even though I am not hungry.
    WILL POWER to get back on is the key.
    Good luck
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've determined to make it a lifestyle change. I don't have cheat days, I don't have cheat meals, I eat what I like but I track it and make sure it fits.

Basically this. If I know I'm going to a birthday party, or out for dinner, etc, I will take it into account for that day, and work my day to fit it in. I always make sure to go through the online menus for the restaurant, and select something in advance (So you don't get swayed by the pictures on the menu, or rushed into making a quick decision). I'm also a fiendish water drinker. Anytime the bowl full of chocolate and candies that sit next to me at work, or the donuts get dropped off by the vendors, I chug water. The less you eat sweets, the less you crave them. Now I just drink water when I see sweets as a habit, not to actually keep myself away.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    A few things that have personally helped me mentally:

It is nearly impossible to stick to a 1200 diet if you're working out. Try different calorie intakes and see which works for you.

Don't deprive yourself but work around the special foods or occasions. You know you're going to a pizza party. Work out in some way to cover the calories of a slice or have a lot of fruits and veggies for breakfast and lunch (low calories).

Losing the initial weight is (and should be!) a gradual process. As long as you're consistent; you will notice the change in your body. It takes time.

Log everything. Good, bad and indifferent. If you ate it, own up and face the day tomorrow with a better attitude.

Pre-logging! Check restaurant websites and plan ahead.

You're doing great! Just focus more on how your body feels before, after and during eating. Then log it.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    You are doing it right (for the most part) but I have two pieces of advice for you:
    1. You really need to train yourself to reel it in faster when you do "slip up". This is not easy, but I think if you follow my advice for #2, this will come a LOT easier.

2. Change your attitude about "slipping up". Can you really live your entire life without a slice of someone's birthday cake? Trying something new and indulgent when traveling or at a fancy restaurant? Not having ice cream on a hot summer day? Hell no!! In my experience, depriving myself of these things is what causes me to think about them constantly and eventually give up. You need to be "good" (close to your calorie goal for the day, plus or minus a little) most days, keep moving 3-4X per week, and indulging every now and then won't hurt your progress.

I struggled with your exact problem my entire life until this past year. I lost 30+ lbs and hit my goal in 9-10 months. Yes, it's slow, but it was so worth it. I formed life-long habits and broke bad ones. If I can do it, TRUST ME, anyone can!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead and allow myself treats here and there so I don't deprive myself of anything.

I don't slip up because I don't think of foods as good or bad. I just eat them and make sure they're within my macros.

Listen to him.

Look, I've been at this for 3.5 years. There have been times when I "slipped" on a regular basis and still consistently lost weight, and there have been times when my diet has been tighter than a nun's panties, and I still gained and lost the same 4 lbs over and over again. It is not always a linear process. For example, your hormones impact the way your body responds to the food you eat and to the exercise you do, and a lot of things impact your hormones.

The best advice I can give you is to track your food as accurately as humanly possible. Weigh and measure everything. Plan ahead so you can make good decisions and will be less prone to give in to cravings or inconveniences. Then give it time. And whatever you do, don't fall into the eat-punish-eat cycle. Stop thinking of food as a reward or exercise as punishment. Figure out something you're comfortable with, and then nothing will be a "slip-up."
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite to the 6 month point, but close. Mid January is when I made my life change. Goal setting. Sharing those goals. Updating people on the progress of those goals. Those three things have been huge motivators for me. Also, making sure I log, EVERY SINGLE DAY. No matter what. Even if my choices for the day totally sucked. And a whole lot of exercise. Used to hate it, now I love it. Especially running.

Basically, you just have to decide. Decide that you're done with your old ways, and change your life. Slow or fast, or somewhere in between, make the changes to live a healthier life. And don't deprive yourself of particular foods, because that could be setting yourself up for failure. If you want it, have it in moderation. And make the calories work like a budget, earn more by exercise as needed.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Even if you ate clean consistently, your body still fluctuates in weight, especially if you're female. It's normal.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    For me it's 2 things mainly that kinda contradict each other.
    You have to know yourself, know when and where are you most likely to slip up, for me I have zero problems with snacking during the day, I'm usually busy and after breakfast and lunch and knowing that dinner is coming I don't feel a need to snack (especially since when I'm working out I have a protein shake in there as well. For me at home it's after dinner after my parents go to sleep I want to munch on something while watching tv. At school it's later as well because me and my friends are doing things, or drinking, or going out for boba or dessert or something. So I just have to allot myself enough calories to have that, and so I try to think what will I have how many calories will that be etc. etc. so I leave room for it.

Now for the 2 things, I have to log carefully, and not be obsessive.
    I log all meals I can confidently in entirety. this is very important especially starting out so you realize how many calories are in what serving size of what. Now when I can't log for some reason, or if I'm having a specific meal that's hard to log, if I'm making it myself I'll add the ingredients to the recipe maker and add it like that, if it's too complicated I just think hard about what it is and how much I should have. I don't keep myself from eating anything, I have chocolate, cookies, cake, red meat, soda, coffee drinks, whatever, I just have it all in moderation. I keep an eye on sugar and sodium as well because those things can send you in a bad direction.

However, you don't want to be too obessive, part of life is knowing you won't be perfect, you will have days where you over and under eat and that's okay.

Just be realistic with portion size, check all the things you add make sure all the fields are filled in and it matches what you're having. If it's something generic or just not a specific brand like a meat or a soup or something, look at a lot of the different things that have been added (easier to do on phone app) and find what the average is for a certain amount (i switch to 1 oz or something and see how much they differ) and add one that has that sort of average cause most things have different facts even though it's the same food. However, how i mainly keep myself from going way off is letting myself have enough unlogged calories to have dessert or my late night snacks or whatever, try to prelog when you can to know what else to have, don't obsess or kick yourself when you mess up, and don't restrict, remember moderation.

Also cardio and lifting.
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first of all, well done on the weight loss! I started on 5th January 2013 and have lost close to 32lb, I have lost something every week with the smallest amount being 0.5lb one week, overall I have lost an average of 1.5lb per week and have not had a gain nor have I stayed at the same weight.

I can only share what I am doing, may be right for me but not for others. I have been on 1200 cals strictly since the start and have my activity set to sedentary, I have a severe lower back injury which means I am lucky to manage 2 x 20 minute walks a week due to pain levels, so basically I do no exercise but still losing.

I am very strict on my 1200 cals a day, I tend to balance it 300 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 300 dinner and 300 snacks/drinks as much as I can. I eat up to 10pm at night and don't worry about that as long as under my cals, I always have breakfast. All my food is low fat, I don't cheat, I have not had fast food since early January. I do a lot of HUGE salads with lean protein and low fat dressing, they would probably serve 4 people, most of them are under 200 cals, I throw in all sorts of salad goodies. I eat fresh fruit, apples, grapes, melon mainly. I have low fat snacks like biscuit cereal bars that are all under 100 cals each, I snack on rice crackers and salsa or low fat dip, celery sticks, carrot sticks.

I basically took all the things I love and swapped them for alternatives. I look at foods on a menu if I can before eating out to decide in advance about my choices and when out I ask for no butter, hold the dressing, etc etc. I have managed to eat healthy and still eat out quite a bit. I cut back on my salt intake. My diary shows an average of 50% carbs a day so I am certainly not doing low carb, but I do have wholemeal bread, healthy cereals, avoid white processed carbs then my other carbs are from fruit and veg mainly. The few times I have gone over my 1200 cals a day I just balance it the next 2 days, take a few off. Most days I eat an average of 1000-1100 of my cals. I was hungry all the time when first started but not anymore. I have dropped 3 dress sizes since 5th January. I also run an online weight loss group on Facebook which keeps me motivated and accountable.

I don't know if that's any help at all, it was all or nothing for me this year, I am losing weight for health reasons as well as to feel good. But know steady weight loss can be achieved, even with no exercise. I am sure as I lose more it might come off less or even plateau but for now I have been ok. Feel free to friend me if you want, I have an open diary which might give ideas.

I log faithfully, I also check the calories and nutritional data against any product I have because have found too many in MFP are entered with the wrong data. I log everything, and aim for 2-3 litres of water a day but don't always succeed in that one.

Good luck!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Slip up of what? It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Who cares if you eat more one week and gain a bit back. You'll lose it the next week if you made changes in your life (good nutrition and exercise).
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want in moderation... So rather than a bowl of ice cream I have 1/4c and rather than the 3 muffins I wanted this morning I had a half. I don't deprive I just don't OVER indulge :).
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Willpower...it's simple. You decide whether to go eat something bad or not. Stick to your amount of calories. If you are still hungry eat something healthy.

Not to start a war but willpower is not that simple. If it were, there would be no fat people on the planet. It goes deeper than that in which OP, thats what you need to find out. What is causing you to overeat and go from there :)
  • missff
    missff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think the key to this is how many cals are you giving yourself each day? My TDEE minus 20% is 1960 so I give myself 1900 for a little cushion.... I never go over my cals. Before when I was starving myself at 1200 I fell off alot.... and i'm losing MORE now that I upped my cals than I did before.

Calculate your TDEE and up your calories and I guarantee you won't "fall off" again.

I'm on 1400 a day on average - my TDEE is 1452 so my calorie intake is fine ... when I'm logging that is
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, 2 weeks isn't so bad, as long as you are getting back on the wagon. I've fallen off before, but the important thing is to get back on. At least it was only 3 lbs and not everything gained back.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!