Question for those who rarely slip up ...

Options
124»

Replies

• missff
    missff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I usually put on 3-4 pounds on vacation and vacation is ended but I still in vacation mode. I continue to eat for a few more weeks and put on some more pounds. And this time I keep telling myself that vacation is over but my brain keep urging me to eat even though I am not hungry.
    WILL POWER to get back on is the key.
    Good luck

Exactly and this is what I struggle with - it's all good when I'm "on track" and "in the zone" and I'm loving the advice from everyone here and on the whole I'm fine - I suppose I want to know WHY I do this to myself (am I just greedy/lazy or do I have deeper issues regarding doing well for myself? ) especially when I have been doing well - I've lost 18lbs after all so I'm halfway, so why take my eye of the ball?
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT starting over on my count of how many days I've logged in - at about 92-93 today!! That keeps me on here every day.

And I will eat something maybe not so healthy every now and then - because I know that even if I weigh 130 pounds someday (not likely lol) - I will still want to have a burger or pizza or beer - whatever...

THIS TIME -- I know that this has to work for life; so it doesn't matter if it is slow coming off or I gain a pound ... it will come off:)
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    that's exactly what I do ... when I'm logging and it really works for me to! The problem is when I decide to not log for a few days because I know that I'll be going way over calories/macros - it literally takes me weeks to get back to logging on again and I eat with no regard for what I'm putting in my mouth. That's the issue really.

I've been there - it seemed overwhelming. I promised myself I'd log everything for at least a week - that's all, just log it, even if I went over - because that much seemed achievable. If I meet one target I set, I'm more likely to meet with next one. Then I tried to log in and stay at 1,200 net - I failed, but eventually came up with logging every day and keeping my intake between 1,200 (suggested by MFP) and 1,500 (which keeps my binging at bay.)

I hope that helps.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Willpower...it's simple. You decide whether to go eat something bad or not. Stick to your amount of calories. If you are still hungry eat something healthy.

Not to start a war but willpower is not that simple. If it were, there would be no fat people on the planet. It goes deeper than that in which OP, thats what you need to find out. What is causing you to overeat and go from there :)

I agree. Willpower isn't that simple. If it were, we would all be caught up on everything at work, eating perfect diets, regulars at the gym, have tidy homes and well kept lawns . . . and no one would ever waste a whole day playing Angry Birds.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I WANT TO BE SKINNY!!!!!!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself as "on the wagon". I don't want to get into that whole nonsense about certain foods being morally correct and certain foods being morally wrong. I eat healthily the majority of the time. When I'm attending social events that involve food, I don't worry about it so much. I don't want to be that jerk who refuses to eat anything that the host is serving. I'm already the jerk who asks whether everything is vegetarian. I don't need to add any extra jerkitude. If I go to a party and eat more than I usually do, that's okay, because I'll go back to my normal healthy eating habits the next day. I think the key is to not let food control your self-esteem. If you have generally healthy habits, you will succeed.
  • Tifbuggy
    Tifbuggy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 70 pounds. I haven't been on here in forever so it doesnt even have my high weight that I had gotten to after I had a baby. My thing is, I made a facebook page for fitness. I have completely put myself out there. and THAT is what keeps me accountable.

That and disciplin! lol
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Willpower...it's simple. You decide whether to go eat something bad or not. Stick to your amount of calories. If you are still hungry eat something healthy.

Not to start a war but willpower is not that simple. If it were, there would be no fat people on the planet. It goes deeper than that in which OP, thats what you need to find out. What is causing you to overeat and go from there :)

I agree. Willpower isn't that simple. If it were, we would all be caught up on everything at work, eating perfect diets, regulars at the gym, have tidy homes and well kept lawns . . . and no one would ever waste a whole day playing Angry Birds.

I DISAGREE. willpower is simple, once you get into the right mind set. i tried losing weight for over 10 years, but wasnt mentally set for it, therfore, no willpower. i also tried to quit smoking for about 10 years, again, mentally not ready, therefore, willpower wasnt there... BUT... ONCE YOU GET INTO THE CORRECT MINDSET, once you make the decision for once and for all that no matter what your going to do it, i would say willpower is pretty easy. did that 3 years ago with smoking... just one day, decided to throw them away... never had another smoke... same thing in september, finally got into the mind set that this was it, im done making excuses and being weak... got into the right mindset, mentally... and then the willpower came easily. a smoker cant quit for other people, or because they wish they didnt smoke... they can only quit when they are genuinley ready to quit 100%... same thing with losing weight... until your in it, 200%, then its just a phase... but once you are... the willpower comes easy! 8 months, 75 pounds lost... its been fairly easy actually.
  • leahcarrie
    leahcarrie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Personally it really does take will power and motivation, the thing that makes it harder to slip up for me is the fact that I've changed this into a life style. I haven't missed a day of logging in and it has been 95 days as of today. I will have the occasional slip up (not pigging out just a tad bit over my calorie goal) maybe 2 or 3 days in the month which is completely normal but I feel terrible when I do so the next day I am at the gym feeling better again. When you do slip up try your hardest to not be negative, tomorrow is another day.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think you already know the answer. Consistency is key, but when I would allow myself breaks from the diet, I would eat at maintenance. I think it's okay to take occasional breaks as long as you have the will power to get back on the wagon. This a long time commitment so everything you do that moves you in a positive direction is great!
    so true
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Every time I want to slip up, I tell myself, "that cookie is not what you want" (or whatever short term gratification it is that is in front of me. "What you want is to be fit, healthy, lean, and strong." Mind. Over. Matter.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as fitting into the dress my husband bought me before we were married! :flowerforyou:
  • Obscuring
    Obscuring Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The faster you forgive yourself for slipping up the faster you can get back on track. :3
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with slipping up. I've always been under my calorie evaluation. I live on a farm so I get a good deal of exercise, I log in everything so I'll know where I am. I eat what I to, but sensibly, and I lose weight steadily and slowly ( I WANT it slow), I don't have any trouble at all staying on track with calories. I don't want to binge, I don't want to do cheat days ( hate that term), I don't want to backslide or negate my hard work...so I don't. I am really good at not doing things that I don't want to do. Call it dedication, call it self-discipline, or call it plain old stubborn as hell, it works.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I get up every morning and lift my shirt up in the mirror. I think to myself, "this *****in stomach was earned by not messing up yesterday. I can keep it by sticking to my goals today. Today will be a good day." And that's usually enough to keep me going for the rest of the day.

I also keep my fridge stocked with fresh vegetables that I love and are easy to prepare, so when I'm hungry I go get a bowl of steamed spinach or broccoli instead of a Pop Tart (nothing wrong with Pop Tarts, except they are like crack and are rarely conducive to me meeting my goals).

I don't keep things in the house that I know I like to splurge on, i.e: ice cream, Oreos, cookie dough. So if I really reeeeeeelly want any of those things I'm forced to stop and think "do I have the calories for this?" and "is it worth it to drive all the way to the store/mess up the kitchen to make this?"

I also got out of the habit of eating out, like almost never anymore. So any splurge meal I want I make myself at home, which hugely cuts down on calories, and as an added bonus always tastes better than whatever restaurant I might have gone to. AND saves me lots of money.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead and allow myself treats here and there so I don't deprive myself of anything.

I don't slip up because I don't think of foods as good or bad. I just eat them and make sure they're within my macros.
    This.

Personally, I don't think it's healthy to deprive myself because I'll probably just end up dealing with a binge session (but part of that is because I deal with binge eating disorder). People like to say "It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change." which can be a good way to look at it in terms of "cheating" or "slipping up". You will likely not be cutting out the "treats" for the rest of your life so it's important to learn to control yourself and watch portions, macros, etc.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I rarely slip up. I think there has only been only one day since I started logging more than six months ago where I intended to eat at a deficit, but ultimately ate at a surplus. That was a dark day where the loss of my mother last year was effecting me particularly strongly.

I do not class planned maintenance or surplus eating as a slip-up. That's just part of the process.

Here's what works for me :

> I log everything, without exception. This keeps me honest with myself. Since I'm doing this for me, the only person I'm cheating is me.

> I don't prescribe to any particular highly restrictive way of eating. I just eat what I need to in order to get the amount of protein and fat I need, and meet my calorie goals. Any calories I have left after meeting protein and fat come from wherever I want - protein, fat or carbs.

> Closely related to the previous point, but it bares stating explicitly - Nothing is out of bounds for me, so long as I meet my nutritional needs for the day. If I want apple pie and ice cream every night, then by Jove I shall have it.

> I use exercise and walking to 'earn' extra calories. Although you can build a deficit without any exercise, I find that having a higher calorie 'turnover' makes it much simpler to stick to my diet. Sure, I could use all that exercise to build a higher deficit and lose faster, but that would increase my chance of failure. Slow and steady wins the race.

> Every now and then I allow myself a day of eating at maintenance levels, to quash any cravings I may be having. One day of deficit eating won't derail my progress, and personally I find it easy to get back on the wagon the next day.

> I even allowed myself a massive (and I mean massive) 5,000 calorie blow out on my birthday. I planned it, executed it to plan, and then got back on the wagon. Had I tried to diet on my birthday, I would have almost certainly been pissed off and my adherence to the process overall would have suffered. By the way - I still lost weight that week, and a quarter pound of 'lost' progress was totally worth it.

> I track my progress closely, at the gym and on the scale. Constant progress is important, and helps keep you on the straight and narrow. Have multiple measures of progress - weight, BF%, waist, 5k time, strength, etc... - you won't see an improvement in each of them every week, so when your weight plateaus, concentrate on strength. When your waist doesn't seem to be shrinking, look at your 5k time. Just focus on what is improving, and keep doing what you do. Everything will catch up.

> Stay disciplined. You don't have to be motivated to keep doing something. You have to be disciplined. My scale hasn't properly moved in a few weeks, but I keep doing what I do, because it's been working for over six months, and I know it will start again soon.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!