ATTN: Dog owners

Options

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    One of my pet (ha!) peeves...loose dogs (cats, too). I've been chased while out running. Very annoying. So much possible danger for the dog and me.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I would have said whatever douche!
    More like Go F%&&ing F%7* Yourself with a leash
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I nearly punted a Chihuahua today. I yelled at the owner to get their dog, and they just looked at me. I told them I would kick it, and they still just ambled slowly out to the road. I don't get it.

Edit to point out my awesome dog on my ticker :happy:
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think this should be re-titled "ATTN: Irresponsible Dog Owners." My dogs are leashed at all time; but it, god forbid, one of them got off leash and ran across the road chasing somebody (not that either of them would care enough about a random stranger to chase them...) I would feel bad and over apologize and probably be a bit embarrassed. Sounds like the owner was a real A-Hole.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I will never understand people who let their dogs roam around loose like that! I have had issues with dogs on my road while walking with my dogs :/ I don't think it is right that I have to feel like I can't walk or worry about walking because of other people's dogs.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    thank god the dog wasn't hit, i don't understand why people just let their dogs run around if they don't have a really long line, a fence or an electric fence. i let my dog off the leash in the back where it is totally surrounded by huge bushes and there isn't anyone back there or any cars flying by. i hate when people don't pick up dog crap either, i am sure there is a special level in dantes inferno for people that don't pick up after their dogs. and i bet that guy was one of them
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I am friends with many of the police officers in city, so I'm sure I can mention it and probably have them talk to the owner. I have to check the leash laws in my city though.

In some States, the phrase "dog attack" is loosely interpreted in the law and could include behavior you describe. (e.g., I was in court recently and saw a case where the "attack" was a dog barking viciously through a chainlink fence...no joke). Also, many States have strict liability with respect to dog laws, meaning that no matter what measures an owner takes to prevent or mitigate certain offensive behaviors by the dog, he will still be liable for the dog's actions. For example, in such a State, if a dog chewed through a tether, jumped a fence, and then ran across the street and bit you, the owner would be fully responsible for damages incurred. I've seen only a handful of cases wherein defendants beat the strict liability...but only a small handful.

ETA: Good idea to talk to your cop friends and maybe even have them visit the owner of the dog. It would help him avoid liability AND hopefully prevent injury to some other potential victim.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If the dog leaves the yard, to attack another dog, or a pedestrian etc.. it is the owner's entire fault. I would absolutely make a report, as if it happened to you, why wouldn't it happen to a young girl out for a run that may not be able to "defend" herself against the same dog?

I would send the message, or have the message sent formally that you cannot have a dog that leaves your premises unleashed...it would at least let the owner know that his "handling" of the situation is lacking.
  • dj_phx
    dj_phx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This drives me crazy. It's really bad in my neighborhood with small dogs (chihuahua sized). We have been chased many times by the little guys and the owners get mad at us for not stopping because the dog keeps walking with us. We usually have our two larger dogs with us, so stopping could end up being a bad idea. (My older dog doesn't like small dogs especially when he's on a leash) I just don't get why people with small dogs think they are an exception to the rule.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It aggravates me when people let their dogs run loose. I have almost been bitten several different times, by different dogs, on different routes. I have a huge dog, and two smaller dogs. I have them in a fenced in yard, and when we walk they are on a leash. When people are walking toward us I cross the street so they don't have to encounter my dog. I'm not saying everyone has to do that. I'm saying don't be mad at me when your dog that you don't have on a leash bites me, and I have animal control come out to take your dog to the pound and you get a ticket.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I just don't get why people with small dogs think they are an exception to the rule.

They're the worst! I've nearly been bit out on runs many times, and it's almost always Chihuahuas. I don't really want to kick them or anything, but I don't want bitten. It's like because they're little, their owners think they're exempt.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have a great dog that while insanely energentic and playful, doesn't have a mean bone his body. He also never steps past the front door without a leash. People need to be more responsible with their pets. I can't count how often unleashed dogs on walks, parks and hikes have ran up to investigate me. I don't mind it since I love dogs, but a lot of people don't appreciate a strange wet nose in their face or crotch. Not everyone is bound to love your pooch, so keep them leashed.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I hate that too.
    As a dog owner and dog trainer, I am HUGE on safety for people as well as dogs.

FYI: If a dog runs AT you, stop running and turn toward it and cross your arms. DO NOT keep running since IF the dog is likely to bite you, you have now become a fun moving target and worked up the dogs adrenal response.
    If you can judge dog language well, tell the dog to get lose, back off.
    If not, wait til the dog loses interest. If your boring and non threatening, most dogs will saunter off pretty quickly. :)

I agree, but always be ready to defend yourself. Dogs go for the throat so...always throw your arms up to protect that first!

Also, lovely pittie you have there! Beautiful:)
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    What a moron! I'm glad everyone is ok.
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Glad your ok (and the dog) He should have known better. I've had this happen to and yup it was my fault because I "provoked the dog to run after me". People can be so clueless and ignorant.
  • lillith1991
    Options
    This dog owner sounds stupid as hell. My father had a full blood rotweiler when I was small and any time I visited she was gentle as hell. It disgusts me when owners act like that. I want to get a dog in the future and it will be medium or big. And it will not be allowed to roam leash free in an unenclosed front or back yard .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I hate that too.

FYI: If a dog runs AT you, stop running and turn toward it and cross your arms. DO NOT keep running since IF the dog is likely to bite you, you have now become a fun moving target and worked up the dogs adrenal response.
    If not, wait til the dog loses interest. If your boring and non threatening, most dogs will saunter off pretty quickly. :)
    Lol, I'm Asian. If the dog tried to bite, I'd make lunch out of them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I hate that too.

I agree, but always be ready to defend yourself. Dogs go for the throat so...always throw your arms up to protect that first!

Very true, but if they can't go for the throat, they usually go for the hands and arms. Dogs know our hands are the primary means for influencing and manipulating our way through the world.

I had a similar incident to happen where a large frame dog started to chase me while running through my neighborhood. It was dark so all I could tell was a large framed and muscular dog similar to a rottweiler. I instinctivly stopped running, faced the dog and balled up my fists. The dog immediately stopped and went back to his yard.

One thing I learned from K-9 handlers, never EVER keep running when a dog is chasing you, it excites their prey drive.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I lived in a neighborhood once that had a lot of roaming pit bulls, so I had a couple of encounters. In one a female was after my puppy while we were out for a walk. I scooped her up and just held on tight and headed for home. I just kept saying shoo shoo go away the whole time. She followed me for a couple blocks and kept lunging for my pup. But, we made it home without injury except I was wiped out from carrying a 35 pound pup. The other one wasn't a scary incident at all, except I was taken by surprise. I was walking up to a convenience store and at some point I felt a wet nose press into my left hand. I didn't jump or anything even though I was startled, I stopped and turned around and saw a scrawny little pit bull. I pet her for a bit and then she wandered off I presume to startle someone else.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    How dare you run across the street from an unrestrained dog? /sarcasm

Dog owners who blame others for their poorly trained dogs... SMH