The Purge-- All crime legal for 12 hours HMmM!?

Options
WhyFlowersExist
WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
Well i saw a preview for this movie, while i was working out yelling at my *kitten* to get burning from my squats listening to the usual pandora set my song was so very rudely interrupted by screaming followed by THE PURGE. SO, since my *kitten* is on fire FEEL THE BURN!, i thought id bring this to the attention of MFP before i trot off to shower !

Would you be ok with crime being legal for 12 hours, one day a year, if it meant there was NO crime aside from this day? Also if the government provided special money to you for renovations, HOWEVER you will have to do the renovating yourself. You will NOT be able to recover anything taken and insurance is not liable for damages recieved this day.

Well? Would you participate?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    No one cares about crime till it happens to them or someone close to them. While I could see how it's could be beneficial, people with money will have a way to protect themselves much better (build and impervious house or room or even fly for 12 hours) than those who don't have it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Bad idea.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP would do a purge. I have some s*** to get off my chest.

:angry:
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I think everyone would be a lot nicer to each other, just in case they get on someone's bad list.:wink:
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If I had a fortified bunker then I'd be all for the madness of 12 hours of chaos.Wait does hitting someone with a wiffle bat count as a crime?!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Some people definitely deserve purging... but unfortunately, as mentioned above, I don't think the people who need to be purged would be. So, bad idea.

If something like that happened, would we have a "choice" to participate?
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Bad Idea... it's a nice " IDEA" that people wont commit crimes outside of it.

But if we will "Go With It"... I still think it is a bad idea.
    Can you imagine the clean up the next day.... dont tell em there is not going to be some hard feelings.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i guess there would be a lot of dead bodies in Alaska since we all have guns and would shoot intruders.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the day itself, but what I do know is that if there was such a thing, I would totally have a list of all the people I would need to find on that day. It would be glorious.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    i guess there would be a lot of dead bodies in Alaska since we all have guns and would shoot intruders.
    This is totally my opinion...
    but I think most of Canadians would just take it as smoke as much pot as you within this time span.
    Lol since a lot of us don't have guns.

But that is my thought.lol
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I think the deaths here in the UK would be more inventive since we don't own guns haha
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I want to see this movie just because I had a discussion about something similar to this in one of my political science classes. The idea of the movie seems pretty much like what most real anarchists would suggest, but they would want to have no laws at all, instead of just one day per year. They basically believe that people behave badly because we're restricted by law and that the majority of people (I said "majority" because there are some bad people) would not commit crimes if there were no laws.

I don't buy into the idea, but I still think it would be an interesting movie.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I think the deaths here in the UK would be more inventive since we don't own guns haha

That would be funny! Mass stabbings with butter knives and clobberings with frying pans! :laugh:
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    what crime would u commit? hmmmmmmmmm,,,?
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    what crime would u commit? hmmmmmmmmm,,,?

hmmmmmm

i am simple, prob drive 120+ MPH on highway and hot rod around town
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hell yes I'd participate....

I would jaywalk for 12 straight hours! What now PIGS....WHAT NOW?!!!! :smokin: :smokin:
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Just go to NI for guns.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    lol i'd have sex for money hahah
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    the phrase 'all crime legal' annoys me to no end, and I'll avoid that stupid movie just for that reason.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    totally. id park in a no parking zone.