Options
    :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • vksoileau64
    Options
    Bump.
  • taterbug29
    taterbug29 Posts: 35
    Options
    I had a MFP friend explain this to me a few days ago so this is helpful information to go along with what she taught me.
    Thanks!
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options
    Hey, I was wondering if I could get some help :)

I'm 19 years old (well I will be tomorrow) and I weigh about 148 - 150 lbs. For the last two months my weight has been at a stall. I've been eating about 1600 calories a day (though I hadn't been tracking too well - I AM gonna start!) and I had been exercising 2 days a week for about 30 minutes, mostly doing weights. The reason for exercising so little is because of my job. I work in fast food and it's a really busy job, I'm running around a lot all day so I get tired. I'm not sure what to do to get the weight loss going again.

I used the calculator provided on this forum, plus a calculator on at scooby's workshop and it said I should eat about 1600 - 1800 calories.....

My plan now is to eat about 1400 calories and work out 3 days a week, for 40 minutes, doing a 20 minute Jillian Michaels DVD and then 20 - 25 minutes of weights (like squats, lunges, deadlifts, push ups, etc) and maybe some jumping squats and things like that. My diet is good, I eat whole grains, eggs, lots of vegetables, fruits and chicken and nuts too. I need to start drinking more water, and i'm gonna stop drinking soda.

Any opinions?
  • lizaiza79
    lizaiza79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I'm 19 years old (well I will be tomorrow) and I weigh about 148 - 150 lbs. For the last two months my weight has been at a stall. I've been eating about 1600 calories a day (though I hadn't been tracking too well - I AM gonna start!) and I had been exercising 2 days a week for about 30 minutes, mostly doing weights. The reason for exercising so little is because of my job. I work in fast food and it's a really busy job, I'm running around a lot all day so I get tired. I'm not sure what to do to get the weight loss going again.

I used the calculator provided on this forum, plus a calculator on at scooby's workshop and it said I should eat about 1600 - 1800 calories.....

My plan now is to eat about 1400 calories and work out 3 days a week, for 40 minutes, doing a 20 minute Jillian Michaels DVD and then 20 - 25 minutes of weights (like squats, lunges, deadlifts, push ups, etc) and maybe some jumping squats and things like that. My diet is good, I eat whole grains, eggs, lots of vegetables, fruits and chicken and nuts too. I need to start drinking more water, and i'm gonna stop drinking soda.

Any opinions?

Your job likely makes your level start above Lightly Active, even that brief exercise bumps it up to Moderately Active.
    Above routine would need to have it rounded up even more.

Use this to get best estimate of BMR and better activity calculator than a mere 5 levels that doesn't even include your daily activity - which does count big time in cases such as yours.

In the end, I'll bet you aren't eating enough, and your bad logging regime isn't helping, probably under as you think to play it on the safe side.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    bump
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options

Any opinions?

Your job likely makes your level start above Lightly Active, even that brief exercise bumps it up to Moderately Active.
    Above routine would need to have it rounded up even more.

Use this to get best estimate of BMR and better activity calculator than a mere 5 levels that doesn't even include your daily activity - which does count big time in cases such as yours.

In the end, I'll bet you aren't eating enough, and your bad logging regime isn't helping, probably under as you think to play it on the safe side.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

I guess that I probably are not eating enough. So maybe try my 1600 calories and 3 days of strength training, and of course the activity from my job to see what that does? Cause I did that a few months ago and I lose weight pretty well. But I didn't have a job to keep me so busy either
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump!!! Thanks for sharing!:happy:
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • NewMomNewME24
    NewMomNewME24 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    another great post!
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the spreadsheet - it's great to have such detail and granularity in the calculations

I had a couple of doubts:

1. I noticed that though I had put in exercise minutes, if these were for low/medium cardio my TDEG didn't change at all, and was equal to my BMR. I put in 60 and 120 for low and medium and my TDEG didn't go beyond my BMR. When I put in any number for high cardio, the TDEG went up. Does that mean that doing low-medium cardio doesn't need extra calories at all to be factored in?

2. My TDEG went down, rather than up when I put in weight training minutes (if I entered in 0 I got a TDEG of 1525, if I entered in 90 it dropped to 1444.) This seemed strange - why would it be the case that I should eat 80 calories *less* if I am lifting more?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the spreadsheet - it's great to have such detail and granularity in the calculations

I had a couple of doubts:

1. I noticed that though I had put in exercise minutes, if these were for low/medium cardio my TDEG didn't change at all, and was equal to my BMR. I put in 60 and 120 for low and medium and my TDEG didn't go beyond my BMR. When I put in any number for high cardio, the TDEG went up. Does that mean that doing low-medium cardio doesn't need extra calories at all to be factored in?

2. My TDEG went down, rather than up when I put in weight training minutes (if I entered in 0 I got a TDEG of 1525, if I entered in 90 it dropped to 1444.) This seemed strange - why would it be the case that I should eat 80 calories *less* if I am lifting more?

1 - But the low/medium cardio did raise the TDEE didn't it? But not enough that the TDEG wasn't limited by the BMR.
    This means you have enough to lose that you can support a bigger deficit, but with the choke point being the fact I don't go below BMR as minimal TDEG, TDEE had to go up more for TDEG to go above BMR.
    Notice the change in TDEE, it does go up slowly for walking, as walking really doesn't add much in the scheme of overall calorie burn.

2 - Lifting maintains muscle mass, so you can take a bigger deficit % without fear of losing muscle mass, though you need to follow the macro recommendation too then.
    Check the TDEE Deficit tab near bottom, under deficit method 0.7% deficit - there's the study where they actually GAINED LBM while on that big of a deficit eating enough protein. So very safe as long as strength training.
    Now I only take that bigger deficit % when logged as real lifting on that line, but fact is any strength training would allow it, but that's safer.

And view that TDEG is minimum for weight and fat loss with the desire of no muscle mass loss. But it's not for long term performance improvement, for instance strength gains will top out faster on a steeper deficit, but you lose your fat faster.
    So if you'd rather have continued strength gains, don't have to eat that low, at least you know your TDEE so you have a range too.