Counting Calories is an eating disorder?

Options

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Based on this article, I am just going to have to learn to live knowing I have an eating disorder and use journaling my calories, activity and thoughts for the day as a coping mechanism. O h w e l l. Honestly, sorting through every newsflash on what is healthy or not and avoiding being overweight/obese is kinda crazy. all my journaling does is keep me in check at my maintenance level, it doesn't stop me from work or play. Jeez.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Obsessive calorie counting can be a sign of of an eating disorder, but counting calories in itself is not. That's it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Amazing that people who don't, or never had a weight problem get to have "scientific" opinions.

Logging food is important because it teaches us to understand our caloric intake. Exercising is very good for us, especially if we eat more than we should. People like this are idiots.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    of course!! Everyone here is completely ****ed up:) why else would we be here?
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't count calories. My obsession is counting carbs and sodium. With both Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure, those are the two things I have to watch more. I went to a lot of trouble losing the 50+ pounds, and reading the labels has done nothing but be helpful for me. If this is a "disorder," I think this is one I'd like to have.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It's not a disorder until it becomes a problem.

As you count your calories, just keep telling yourself: "I am not being obsessive-compulsive, I am not being obsessive-compulsive, I am not being obsessive-compulsive. . . ." :wink:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Obsessive calorie counting can be a sign of of an eating disorder, but counting calories in itself is not. That's it.

^^^ this. it's totally context dependent.

Feeling tired is a symptom of flu, but not everyone who feels tired has flu. Not everyone who feels tired is even ill. Maybe they just had a busy day. Obsessive calorie counting is a symptom of an eating disorder, but not everyone who calorie counts (even fairly obsessively by many people's standards) has an eating disorder. Maybe it's what they need to do to ensure they're eating the right amount of food for their needs. And people with eating disorders will have a whole load of other symptoms besides obsessive calorie counting.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go low calorie for any length of time, I get a little obsessed with food and counting calories. I think it is a little disordered but a natural and possibly unavoidable consequence of eating less than you need. (ie at a deficit). So perhaps being crazy doesn't cause the dieting, the dieting causes crazy. (please forgive the term) I guess you just have to do a reasonableness check now and again -- so have a network of people to warn you not to eat too low (my fitnesspal friends) and regular friends who remind you that there is more to life than worry about your diet.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This doesn't' feel like a disorder to me.

I have been obese and I also have been in some 300 calories diet for months which back then sounded completely okay but now I see how stupid and crazy I was. I use to cry because I had an apple or a chicken breast and that was not on my diet , I use to get really sick.

But now yes sometimes I worry about my calories and have to plan what I'm going to eat but I like to call it dedication to my health. I no longer act as crazy and I understand it. I want to be healthy and find something that works for the rest of my life , I never want to go back to those 300 calories day and the emotional mess I was.
  • kendallsauntie
    kendallsauntie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    SheldonNo_zps12bec133.gif

You get a million cool points for the use of Sheldon Copper. As for this supposed ED? I'm still trying to figure it all out but once I do I will join the ranks with the rest of y'all.
  • Claire_x90
    Claire_x90 Posts: 94
    Options
    It is, but the main thing behind it is WHY you are doing it. are you doing it for health benefits or are you doing it because of the monumental fear of what could happen if you didn't.

If you go out for a meal are you terrified because you don't know 100% what is in it? or do you just enjoy your meal.... if you don't count calories during a day do you care?

It's along the same lines of saying being sad is having chronic depression. or being stressed is having an anxiety disorder. No sometimes sad things happen and you are sad doesn't mean you have depression. Sometimes stressful events are coming up and you get anxious about them, does not mean you have anxiety. Some nights are difficult to get to sleep, does not mean you have insomnia.

counting calories/ being OBSESSED with calories is a big criterion for certain eating disorders but it does not mean that everyone who has ever used an app for calories or read the packet of their food has an eating disorder.

*edit
    I am in recovery from an eating disorder and have had disordered eating for at least 11 years... I used to plan my days intake up to 60 days in advance. things like every 20 days I would have a treat etc and NOT until then. I would break down in tears in the grocery store if a certain item I had planned for was out of stock. I would weigh all my food and put back flakes of cereal if they were 1g over... the article is referring to obsession like that. Part of normalized eating is flexibility and diversity.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Uh_wtf_gif_zps9b6983c8.gif
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think more people need to be aware of what they are putting in their mouth. I was obsessed when I first started but once I figured out how to navigate the world of 'bad' choices I relaxed. But still firmly believe in thinking about what you eat and preparing ahead of time.
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I weighed 318 pounds when I didn't think about what I ate. I eat healthier and I move more. As a result I have gone from Morbidly Obese to just plain overweight on my way to a healthy BMI and weight. If that is an eating disorder then bring it on! I'm not starving myself or binging and my health is steadily improving.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Probably not the case if you're medically overweight and need to lose. But if you're at a healthy weight and count calories consistently over time...yes.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We live in a world of processed foods and a food industry drive for consumption. JUST TO MAINTAIN GOOD HEALTH, we all need to be incredibly mindful of what we put in our mouths. This is not a disorder, this is a responsibility. If you want to achieve a healthy weight and you must either lose or gain to do this, it makes complete sense to not only monitor the healthfulness of what we eat but also the quantity/caloric value.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    A balanced life is about planning. That is what adults do! I plan my food, time, money,and energy. If I didn't have a plan I would fail at reaching and sustaining my goals. Only children can be that spontaneous and that is because they have an adult to help balance things for them.

Continue to think like a child if you never want to enjoy the stability of knowing where you want to be, and the satisfaction of getting there.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    No.

I plan what my family and I are going to eat...so I know what groceries to buy at the shop.
    This can take me 3-4 hours a week alone!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    SheldonNo_zps12bec133.gif

good one.

Calorie counting is a part of my meal planning and maintaining a healthy diet. My meal planning is apart of maintaining my budget. My budget is a way to help me get out of debt quicker. Looks like I'm nuts!