Let's say you're not hungry...

Options

Replies

• jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    This happens to me! Sometimes, at the end of the day, I'm not really that hungry but I still have snacks planned (I pre-plan everything except eating out days). I find that if I don't eat my snacks, sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night with my stomach growling, which can be very irritating. So, even if I'm not hungry, I'll make myself eat at least some portion of my snacks so I can sleep the night through without waking up hungry.
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry in the morning and I force myself to eat breakfast. If I don't, I'm too hungry at lunch and tempted to overeat then.

I never force myself to eat at the end of the day.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Nobody else seems to have brought this up, but are you sure you're actually under your goal? Are you weighing your food? People often eyeball their portions or go by volume instead of weight, and they underestimate the amount they are eating. Your diary is locked so I cannot tell how precise you are about your logging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

This said, it is important to eat enough to fuel your body. If you consistently under-eat, your body will respond by slowing down your metabolic functions. If this leftover calorie thing happens to you all the time, you need to plan your day better, perhaps by eating more calorie-dense foods earlier in the day.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    If I'm having a day I'm not terribly hungry, I plan in higher calorie foods. This way, I meet my goal but I'm not shoving food down my throat all day. These are also the days I indulge in pasta, cookies, or maybe some fast food haha.
  • Zeade
    Zeade Posts: 25
    Options
    No not really I typicaly eat about 1300 cals through the week and 1000 on the weekend when I should be getting 1200 every day but oh well
  • thisgirlhere
    thisgirlhere Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink wine.

:drinker:
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Options
    I do not eat if I am not hungry, even if I am under daily calorie goals.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    If I'm under calories (which doesn't happen often) that usually means I'm under on protein as well, so I'll drink a protein shake.

But yeah, I agree with the person who said that "I'm just not hungry - do I have to eat?" is a common question by anorexics of which there are many on this site. So be mindful about throwing out advice like "Just listen to your body and only eat when you're truly hungry!" when you don't know the context of the question or who's reading the answers.
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the calories if I'm not hungry.

Eating when I'm not hungry is part of the reason I'm overweight.

this.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to follow the advice to listen to your body and not eat when not hungry those missing out on a huge amount of calories on regular basis, at least listen to it when it says it's hungry and you will be going over goal.

That advice should apply both directions, right?

This whole thing on listen to your body not being smart applies to vitamin or mineral deficiencies too.
    Vast majority of those issues don't show up on day to day basis, but eventually something bad starts happening or is noticed, you get tested, and low and behold, your diet has been lacking in something very important.
    Your body never told you. At that point down the road when discovered, you could easily already have had some ill effects from it.

Same with too much deficiency of calories on regular basis. May not notice the ill effects of it today or tomorrow, but down the road, like after 9 months of plateau and stressed out about no weight loss, or hair falling out, ect, ya, then ill effects to correct if possible.

1 day a week, it'll balance out hopefully if you are willing to eat over on another day. Majority of days in a week, you've screwed up your hormones already.
  • tuathanari
    tuathanari Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

5y5qi0gwu2ln9h5241gz1.gif

I was debating with myself last night about it, the responses helped a lot. You're right, it is an average, and some days I do go over. I'll start looking at my weekly average and making sure that's on the level.

For those worrying about anorexia/eating disorders, I have a healthy relationship with food, but I agree that you never know who's posting or reading responses so I agree it's good to be mindful. Just wanted to throw that out there.

As far as accurate logging, I'm not 100% sure that I was being accurate to begin with, so I tended to overestimate, actually. Just got a scale though so I should have a pretty clear picture from now on.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I'm not hungry...Eating when I'm not hungry and for some other reason is a BIG reason I got up to the weight that I did. And I eat when I am hungry as long as it doesn't put me over by more than 300, figure my calories will balance out at the end of the week
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Lots of people hiding Eating Disorders behind posts like this looking for approval for not eating. With that out of the way, it happens periodically, and there's no reason to eat if your not hungry.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If I was trying to gain weight I would force it.

I am trying to lose it though so I only eat when I am hungry. Sometimes this means I go over my calorie goal, but most of the time it means I am under.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will drink a glass of orange Juice if I'm not hungry. 110 calories and no fat.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I never force myself to eat when I'm not hungry. Going under your calorie goal, even by a huge margin, every once is a while is not going to kill you in the long run. In fact, it might even help balance out a day where you went over your daily goal.
  • medivac618
    Options
    I'd say as long as you don't have any eating disorder concerns you shouldn't worry about it. If you do eat, a higher protein snack would be a good idea

Be careful! You may wake up super hungry and fall into the trap of 'making up' for yesterday's calories. Stick to the goal calorie amount for every day regardless of what you have done the day before and you should be ok.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the calories if I'm not hungry.

Eating when I'm not hungry is part of the reason I'm overweight.

Though one might argue that you shouldn't get to that point of being hungry, you should prevent it. Otherwise binging lurks around the corner.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Just go to sleep. As long as you're not way under on a regular basis, nothing wrong with that.
  • aFootballLife25
    aFootballLife25 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep, wake up, enjoy breakfast.