Do you record fruits & vegetables in your diary?

Options
I never record any of the veggies or fruit I eat in my food diary. If I have a salad with dressing, I only count the dressing, for example. Does anyone else do this and/or do you think I should be counting the calories from these foods as well? Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Record it all.....
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    If I bite it, I write it.

Only thing I found that is free is water. It all counts, there are calories/carbs/fats/sugars etc in everything.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I try to record it all, but if I am over a little because I chose to have some extra fruit or veggies, I don't stress about it. Honestly, if you are eating lower calorie fruits and veggies, it shouldn't make that much of a difference. However, things like bananas that average about 100 calories each, should always be logged.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    if it goes in my mouth, it goes into my food diary calories or no calories. If I decide to not log one thing, it leads to "slips" and "nibbles" that don't get recorded and they add up. Even veggies and fruits have calories and calorie consumption is what my food diary is for - ALL of them.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    yes you should record it. if you eat a diet rich in fruit and vegetables, you could easily not record 300+ calories a day.

I can understand not recording spinach if you cbf but fruit and vegetables as a group?

an apple is 60 cals. a banana is 90+. kiwifruit is 50.

thats silly not to log stuff like that.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. If I didn't I would lose measurably less weight. Today my fruits and vegetables added up to 230 cals. Yesterday it was 200 even. They definitely count.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You should log everything that contains calories and nutrients.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes, i record everything!!
  • Gannet72
    Gannet72 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I just thought of fresh veggies (more so than fruits) as 'free' calories. I'll def start tracking them all though! :grumble:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I ate 630 cals of fruit and vegetables today. Just sayin.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do not count accent vegetables. A slice of cucumber, a kosher dill pickle on a hamburger, lettuce on a sandwich or taco. None of it is food. I ALWAYS count fruit because fruit is high in calories due to sugar. Iceburg lettuce is basically crunchy water. If I ate a giant bowl of it (yuck), I would count it. It isnt even really food. Most vegetables have lots of sugar and or fat and whatnot so most are food, not lettuce or cucumbers though.
  • DrCaspianDoll
    DrCaspianDoll Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ofcourse I record it, not only for calorie's sake but also to keep track of how healthy my intake is
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veggies are food, aren't they? Why wouldn't you count them?
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    If I eat it I log it.
  • AndreannaTamira
    Options
    Log it! One banana has over a hundred calories. A whole avocado easily over two hundred.those are the calorie dense ones, of course, but other things add ups, too.
  • pamjones77
    Options
    yes!
  • Gdeeaz
    Gdeeaz Posts: 60
    Options
    Yes I record it. Vegetables make up a huge portion of the food I eat. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of my daily calories.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do not count accent vegetables. A slice of cucumber, a kosher dill pickle on a hamburger, lettuce on a sandwich or taco. None of it is food. I ALWAYS count fruit because fruit is high in calories due to sugar. Iceburg lettuce is basically crunchy water. If I ate a giant bowl of it (yuck), I would count it. It isnt even really food. Most vegetables have lots of sugar and whatnot so most are food, not lettuce or cucumbers though.

What do you mean by "they aren't food?" Just out of curiosity.

OP, if you're going to use the calorie counting method then you need to count all the calories to get a clear picture of whether what you're doing is working. I have 300 calories worth of fruit and veggies most days. That's a pretty big chunk.
  • MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I log it! Fruits and veggies have calories, fiber, sugar, etc. It may not seem like much, but those small amounts can really add up!
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If we are to go by what we eat per day calorie wise then everything we eat has a calorie content so of course to log everything is logical.