Wife's Birthday... I NEED HELP LADIES!!

Options

Replies

• JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    How about a Photoshoot? With getting hair and make up done. In the end she will end up with wonderful pictures of herself, showing how far she already got.

I'd be all for this. My profile pic is as a result of the shoot my daughter and I did. I loved it, and having permanent results to show for it was fun. :happy:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i like 'spa' and it's popular so i'm voting for that one. 'photoshoot' is good too.

here's my contribution:

get more bang for your buck by employing the 'surprise factor': buy a bunch of little, inexpensive things that are topical for the main event (e.g. for spa day, go with a bottle of nail polish, a lip gloss, a perfume sample, maybe a loofah, a nice new face towel, etc.), write a simple handwritten note to accompany each (best if you can be clever or funny but really all you need to do is speak from the heart and say things that matter to you) and 'hide' these around the house for her to find. like, 1-3 days before you treat her big, she should find a bunch of these little 'teasers'. you can make it a game, like these are clues that are leading up to something, or not. go big with it or no, depending on how you think you can pull it off.

all you really need to do is show that you put some thought into doing something a little out of the ordinary. it's the thought (and the effort) that counts. :flowerforyou:
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    For her 30th I threw a surprise birthday party but was a little TOO secretive about it. Her entire family was in on it and I was throwing it at her mom's house so I would take phone calls in the other room and clear out my text messages. My email box was always cleaned out and I didn't realize that in HER eyes it looked like I was having an affair, not planning a secret birthday party. I was down playing it too much too and we ended up getting in a great big fight the week leading up to the party when she asked what we were doing for her birthday and I said, I dunno, what do you want to do? So I told her, "MAYBE... I'M PRETENDING LIKE NOTHING IS GOING ON!!! MAYBE THERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON I DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT... MAYBE!!!..." Her emotions probably had something to do with the fact she was 6 months pregnant too... so.... then one year, the first year we were married, she had this little yellow VW Beatle and I got her those daisy tail light covers... boy was SHE disappointed... lol She STILL brings that up 7 years later!! "I'm not getting car parts, am I?!"
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to listen! :love: Sounds so simple but it seems the mars/venus thing goes on ALL the time:laugh:

She most likely is telling you exactly what she wants, and you are not hearing it.

The simplest thing I ever wanted, and asked for for years was a clean house!! Just to get up and be given the keys to my car, a beach chair and towel, or a few bux if we could afford me to go shopping:love: , and to come home to laundry done, dishes done, beds stripped and remade, floor vacuumed, tub cleaned, dinner made.

Honest to God that would have made me so very happy:love::love:

The best gift I recieved was on Mother's day, and it was a planted lavender rose bush in my front yard.:heart: that thing or 6 years. All because he listened!

Usually though cheap perfume and bathsalts it was :ohwell:

The divorce was final in September:flowerforyou:

:laugh:

Seriously, listen to her. It sounds like you are a great husband who wants to make her happy. You had a huge surprise party for her, THAT speaks volumes!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i like 'spa' and it's popular so i'm voting for that one. 'photoshoot' is good too.

here's my contribution:

get more bang for your buck by employing the 'surprise factor': buy a bunch of little, inexpensive things that are topical for the main event (e.g. for spa day, go with a bottle of nail polish, a lip gloss, a perfume sample, maybe a loofah, a nice new face towel, etc.), write a simple handwritten note to accompany each (best if you can be clever or funny but really all you need to do is speak from the heart and say things that matter to you) and 'hide' these around the house for her to find. like, 1-3 days before you treat her big, she should find a bunch of these little 'teasers'. you can make it a game, like these are clues that are leading up to something, or not. go big with it or no, depending on how you think you can pull it off.

all you really need to do is show that you put some thought into doing something a little out of the ordinary. it's the thought (and the effort) that counts. :flowerforyou:

You my dear are brilliant!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    What do you think about Brazilian steak house- If she is happy eating steak.
    Movies?
    Take her shopping for a new outfit.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Whatever you do you're on a hiding to nothing, whatever you get will be wrong, so why not buy her something you can use like a nice electric drill or a bottle of Malt whisky.....................:laugh:

I've been married 30+ years and the only way I can get her something she wants is to ask her :wink:
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A pandora bracelet with beads that show her success. Exp. one for your wedding one for each child one for her new found healthy self. If money is tight they have cheaper ones look it up on line. just a thought. Time alone with the one you love is a great gift also.
    Good luck! :)
  • asmallermeplz
    Options
    95% of your ideas are great... those 5% you know who you are.

I like the spa ideas. She's mentioned getting her hair done, getting a manicure so I think I'm going to go that route. I'd LOVE for us to have a night off from the kids. My folks always offer to watch the kids but it's on THEIR schedule and they won't watch them over night.... long story.

Thanks for all your suggestions. YES, I do know what she likes, I'm just a terrible gift giver! ESPECIALLY when it comes to Birthdays
  • asmallermeplz
    Options
    Woman can be very pick about there hair great idea but make sure it is with her stylist! Find out we're she goes and who dose her hair and let them know what you are doing they can be a huge help! I did hair for 15 years trust me on this one!!!
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    She'll probably appreciate a new vacuum, or maybe a dishwasher. If that's too much of a big ticket item on short notice, a new mop and floor waxing set will probably go over well.

^This.

Or a pair of knee pads.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Get her a coupon to get a mani/pedi or her hair done at a spa...and then when she comes home and the kids go to bed or are at your folks, set up a surprise picnic dinner in the living room with candles and healthy foods. Maybe some shrimp, a fruit platter, steak, some swiss cheese cubes, whatever she likes. You could probably share a bottle of wine if she likes that or get a couple good beers.

AND MAKE SURE THE HOUSE IS SPOTLESS. Women like that.
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hey! You've gotten some great ideas-mostly spa stuff. That always works, but the fitness idea items sound great too since she's into fitness. Just a hint-if you do go pick out something (not the sexy stuff), just say the kid(s) picked it out. It always makes us moms feel special and we're very forgiving when it's from the kiddos! Please, don't make the mistake of getting something for the house, or something we have to make work. If you want to save some money, make dinner at home or grill something. Cake sounds great-maybe angel food and frozen yogurt for low cal/fat-if yall don't want to splurge. Good luck-I hope it works out!
  • feelinggreat140
    feelinggreat140 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I vote for a couple's massage, weekend at a bed and breakfast where you can go walking all around a quaint town together. Just let the B & B know of your diet plans and they are usually very accommodating. Good luck.
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm debating between sending her to the salon for a new hair cut & color (which she mentioned) OR getting her an hour relaxation massage. My plan is to have her leave, then I'm going to cart the kids over to my folk's house and when she get's home, have the house clean and dinner made or started. I asked her if she wanted to go out or if she wanted to stay-in and she wants to stay in, so I think the picnic might be nice. Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I like the idea of the little notes leading up to the big day....

thanks again!

Mark
  • summerlover07
    Options
    If she told you that she wants to go to the salon for new color and cut that would be the perfect gift then.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Anything that involves pampering and time away from the kids!
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    14 karat gold always fits...

if going for a picnic at home make it sexy... cover the coffee table with a nice cloth and candles, toss pillows on the floor lots of healthy finger food like stuffed grape leaves ,olives think a night in Morocco...
  • Nonya81
    Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm debating between sending her to the salon for a new hair cut & color (which she mentioned) OR getting her an hour relaxation massage. My plan is to have her leave, then I'm going to cart the kids over to my folk's house and when she get's home, have the house clean and dinner made or started. I asked her if she wanted to go out or if she wanted to stay-in and she wants to stay in, so I think the picnic might be nice. Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I like the idea of the little notes leading up to the big day....

thanks again!

Mark

Now your catchin on! Good luck buddy! :-)
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Although I love spas, on holidays I want to be with my husband. You know her best. I like to do something different such as visiting attractions in a new city (within 2 hour distance), something exploratory and active such as zip-lining or river tubing, a date-like activity such as the movies or a night of lazer tag, or visit an amusement park without kids!