I hate my my wedding dress now :(

Options

Replies

• st0dad
    st0dad Posts: 23
    Options
    Here are a few last minute things you can do!

1: a belt or sash to cinch the waist can really help!

2: Get a safety pin and take in the sides from the inside, definitely have a friend assist you with this ^^;

3: pig out over the next week (this is not recommended :P )

4: take in the sides from the outside (as it's much easier) and hide the safety pins with the sash and a bow in the back

I think the dress drapes over your waist in a way where it doesn't look that bad (at least it's not all wrinkly or poking out at the hips! :D ) but I only see it from one angle. Chances are no one else will notice the flaws you see, but then again your opinion and that of your future husband are the most important ones! I just hope these ideas help! Congratulations and I hope you have a great wedding!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    the dress still looks beautiful just a little loose in the waist. Maybe you could try a sash to cinch it in make it fit a bit better. Hope is not lost. you still have time.

I agree! It still looks lovely. I would just take it in around the waist if anything at all. Have you seen how now the big thing to do with a wedding gown is to wear a sash of some sort around the waist that matches your bridesmaids? Adding color to the wedding gown is the new big thing. OR you can just get an all white sash and tie it in a bow in the back. That will bring it in without having to get alterations done.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding a sash. That'll show off your waist and add a bit of colour. I think it'll look gorgeous.

On my wedding day I suddenly had doubts about my dress! Even now (and I got married in 2008) I see a wedding dress in a window and wish I'd gone for one like that instead!
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You look lovely .and chose a perfect dress....

I worked in Bridal for many years and trust me most shops want happy brides from what I saw the dress is marginally lose in the waist it should be a small matter to take that in ask them... the belt at the waist might work ... it looks like the dress is an empire cut and it might look better with the accent under the bust .. if no time for adding a row of stones or beads try a large pin... the right jewelry will draw the eye up... the bust line your shoulders and pretty face should be the star of the show... we used to tell our brides you want the guests to say what a beautiful bride not what a pretty dress...

that said you look beautiful enjoy your day be happy in your marriage...
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I say sash too. You seem really happy in the photos, so I think a little sash or quick stitch for the waist will be perfect.

I will say that this happened to me. The wedding and planning stress caused me to lose about 10 pounds the last three weeks, and the week of the wedding... my dress was too big. I disliked it the moment I put it on me. I thought about going out and buying something off the rack that would fit, but didn't because my friends convinced me that I looked okay. I was so insecure about how large the dress was and how my "girls" kept trying to fall out of the top since it was too big. I was constantly fussing with it throughout the wedding itself. 2 years later and I still regret that I didn't buy something else. I don't even enjoy our wedding photos. All I can see is that ill fitting dress. I should have trusted my instincts and found something that looked beautiful on me. Oh well. The past is the past.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    I think it's very pretty!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    You look stunning.

and hey with a slightly looser fit you'll be more comfortable.

Exactly!! You'll be able to eat at your reception without worrying about busting your gown. My wedding gown was so body fitting that I could barely breath let alone eat. I kept losing weight just before my wedding. I was already wearing a size 6 wedding gown and had it taken in a couple of times. The week before my wedding I had it taken in again but then it was so snug I felt like I couldn't breath. Remember that you want to be comfortable as well as look great.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My daughter hated her wedding dress and the night before her wedding, we had tears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But as soon as her make up and hair was done, she realised how beautiful she looked - I am sure you will look beautiful too, it is probably pre wedding nerves!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am going to look for a sash today! Thanks :) I actually have a waist that this dress does not show at all....I think that's what I don't like so maybe the sash would help...worth a shot. Oh and to the poster who bought another dress....I have thought about doing that all morning lol!

Sash, sash and sash. This will let you pull it in at your smallest point and will make it look like you have a waist. Sometimes especially lace can only be taken in so much before it can hurt the structure of the gown as well, so that is a good idea.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    the dress still looks beautiful just a little loose in the waist. Maybe you could try a sash to cinch it in make it fit a bit better. Hope is not lost. you still have time.

This
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much for all of your suggestions and kind words. If I had more time I would try to get it taken in, I fly out to Las Vegas in 4 days and the wedding is in 6 days. Just a week and a half ago when I picked the dress up it fit better, I swear! lol...this wedding stuff is crazy stressful.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have sewn wedding & prom dresses, and done alterations. Take it to be tailored asap. Your dress is the kind of style that is easiest to tailor, because it's straight. Dresses with gathered waists, sequins, beads, pearls - those are a pain to alter but could still have tailoring done at the last minute - even an hour before. But don't wait, get to a wedding dress tailor ASAP just to put your mind at ease. Insist on picking up the dress at least 2 days before your wedding, and TRY IT ON AT THE TAILOR'S so that it can be adjusted a little bit more if necessary (cause what if the tailor goes too far and makes it too small).

When I did tailoring, I had the lady wait right there, so I tailored it, had her try it on, I tailored it a bit more, etc. to make sure it was perfect. If you can find one who will let you sit there while they tailor it, that would be best.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful dress.

I agree with many others, you need to have it altered a bit. I'd also suggest a push up bra. You won't believe the difference it will make with the look of that dress!
  • jadermary
    Options
    I have sewn wedding & prom dresses, and done alterations. Take it to be tailored asap. Your dress is the kind of style that is easiest to tailor, because it's straight. Dresses with gathered waists, sequins, beads, pearls - those are a pain to alter but could still have tailoring done at the last minute - even an hour before. But don't wait, get to a wedding dress tailor ASAP just to put your mind at ease. Insist on picking up the dress at least 2 days before your wedding, and TRY IT ON AT THE TAILOR'S so that it can be adjusted a little bit more if necessary (cause what if the tailor goes too far and makes it too small).

When I did tailoring, I had the lady wait right there, so I tailored it, had her try it on, I tailored it a bit more, etc. to make sure it was perfect. If you can find one who will let you sit there while they tailor it, that would be best.

Oh wow! Hmmm maybe I didn't even think that was an option. I will have to call around!
  • jadermary
    Options
    It's a beautiful dress.

I agree with many others, you need to have it altered a bit. I'd also suggest a push up bra. You won't believe the difference it will make with the look of that dress!

I am wearing a pushup in ithe pic lol...I am just quite a bit smaller overall.
  • emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You look lovely in it -- it shows off your slim arms -- and maybe you will be glad on the day that it is hanging a bit loose so you will feel comfortable. I agree with the other posters that perhaps a local tailor could nip it in at the waist.... but I think one of the lovely things about it is the long long line it gives you. What a beautiful fabric too! Have a wonderful wedding!
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think you have put a bit too much pressure on yourself and it all seems a bit overwhelming. The dress is so beautiful and a bit of taking in at the waist area (not to the point of being uncomfortable) as you have lost a bit more since your last fitting..It will look just perfect.

Please don't let anything ruin your big special day esp not your dress...you'll be fine, absolutely fine. "It will be allright on the night"..as the saying goes..!

Have a lovely day! Post us some pics of the special day!
  • Kellbellftw
    Kellbellftw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congrats and have fun on your wedding day! Mine was a little over a month ago. After I picked my dress, I decided to put the diet on hold and just maintain where I was, besides some arm exercises! I'm sure you'll look beautiful on your big day, that dress is really lovely!
  • kwatso88
    kwatso88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd have your tailor take in the waist and about mid-thigh to give you more of a fit and flare style--show off those curves! Congrats on the 15 lbs!!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the wedding and your weight loss.

It's a beautiful dress! I hope you can get it altered or work out the sash thing people have suggested....but even if neither of those things work out, you'll still be a stunning bride.

Have a great wedding! :flowerforyou: