Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That is "special."
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    LOL. We wouldn't have lasted long as a species if women couldn't carry heavy things on a regular basis.

^^Yes. I have to add:
    Pregnancy. :tongue:

I've never been pregnant but I'm pretty sure your heart has to be strong for that!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This is just silly. Physical AND intellectual laziness at its worst. Very few people in the world ever come close to pushing themselves so hard it becomes dangerous to their health. And anyone who believes lifting is bad for women because we have weak hearts will not get remotely close to testing out that theory.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I probably would have laughed in her face before I could catch myself. Psssh.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Totally makes sense.

That's why all these female 100 meter sprinters are always dropping dead of hard attacks.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Where do people come up with this stuff!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    brb laughing my *kitten* off....
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I was talking about exercising with an acquaintance of mine, and I told her that I lift heavy. She said that she heard women should never lift heavy because we have weak hearts. WTH? I have no intentions of stopping lifting, but has anyone else ever heard that?

I would assume she doesn't exercise and is using this as an excuse not to
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've heard something like that about women's hearts. I think it was on a movie with scarlett o'hara or something depicting that era. Never knew anyone still thought that way. Maybe she takes the things she sees in films to "heart".
  • KindleKate
    KindleKate Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For your friend. Knowledge is power - http://www.bboyscience.com/strength-training/
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You can bet your *kitten* that was printed in a women's magazine somewhere because they've seen some of their old myths dispelled and - OH NOES - women are starting to get in the gym and get all sweaty and disgusting in the weights area alongside the men.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    facepalm.png
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I probably would have laughed in her face before I could catch myself. Psssh.

Seriously. I snarfed all over my monitor just reading it! :laugh:
  • InsolentMint
    Options
    That sounds like an uninformed person who was taught sexism at an early age and doesn't workout very often.

So, don't listen to them... lol. I hate people like that feed these stereotypes. I am struggling to get my gf to see the benefits of strength training right now, and it is crap like this that makes it so hard! Even Jillian Michaels who is really well respected touts this no strength training approach. It's crap! :(

Really, she does? Alright never buying one of her ever popular dvds then.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Some of those Victorian era myths of women being weak have a basis in reality. But first you have to remember that a Victorian era fashions produced exactly the stereo type that they were looking for. A Victorian era lady frequently was wearing 70-100 pounds of clothes including a steel hoop skirt and a bone corset that dug into their abdomens. No wonder they suffered from shortness of breath, weakness, dizziness and worse. (Clinical data showed evidence of muscle atrophy and even organ damage from brutally tight corsets.)

Methinks that says a lot less about women than it does about how screwed up Victorian era attitudes were towards women.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    We have weak hearts? Really? it's a wonder we survive childbirth at all.

EYE_ROLL.gif
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I lifted the milk jug this morning and had a heart attack.

Doooooooooooomed.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Women also shouldn't run because their uterus could fall out. Haven't you seen the trails of uteri just lying around at marathon race courses? It's a terrible pandemic, really.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Women also shouldn't run because their uterus could fall out. Haven't you seen the trails of uteri just lying around at marathon race courses? It's a terrible pandemic, really.

innit

and doctors offices are heaving with women carrying their uteri in the hope that the doctors can put them back in again....