I hate my my wedding dress now :(

Options

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful dress. Belt it with the most elaborate wide stretch belt that you can find, and it will be shapely as hell.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's beautiful.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I have sewn wedding & prom dresses, and done alterations. Take it to be tailored asap. Your dress is the kind of style that is easiest to tailor, because it's straight. Dresses with gathered waists, sequins, beads, pearls - those are a pain to alter but could still have tailoring done at the last minute - even an hour before. But don't wait, get to a wedding dress tailor ASAP just to put your mind at ease. Insist on picking up the dress at least 2 days before your wedding, and TRY IT ON AT THE TAILOR'S so that it can be adjusted a little bit more if necessary (cause what if the tailor goes too far and makes it too small).

When I did tailoring, I had the lady wait right there, so I tailored it, had her try it on, I tailored it a bit more, etc. to make sure it was perfect. If you can find one who will let you sit there while they tailor it, that would be best.

Oh wow! Hmmm maybe I didn't even think that was an option. I will have to call around!

Totally do it! Offer to pay the tailor over his/her usual price to get it done asap; spend the day there, get a sib or parent to handle the other stuff that day. It's a pretty dress, you look gorgeous :)

The sash is a good second option. Yes it will look like a different dress - you'll have a bit of gathering around the belt, but it wouldn't be unattractive - you could just think of it *as a different dress* :)
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I think it needs a sash/belt to break up the monotony of the fabric surface. Right now it all has the same look/texture. A sash would add a focus area and emphasize your lovely waist. Aside from that I love the fabric, neckline, and shoulder areas of the dress. It is quite lovely.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    my advice is if you dont like it, nothing anyone else thinks is going to matter, and you should just go buy another one ASAP! I know its expensive, but you will forever and always be regretful that you didnt love your dress.

I speak from second hand experience- my gfriend ended up losing about 20lbs for her wedding and her dress, which originally was form fitting/curve hugging/ and very flattering- was now too big in all the wrong places. She was 2 weeks out form her wedding and in tears. We all pushed her to just go buy another dress. She didnt want to spend the money, she was already spending so much on the wedding, etc honeymoon.

That was 4 years ago and she cant even look at her wedding pictures and constantly says "i shouldve just listened and bought another dress. I shouldve just done it, I dont know why I didnt. I hate how I look etc"
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It looks great. Like others have said, get it taken in a tiny bit or get a sash.
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think it looks really nice, and the fabric looks beautiful. I personally never went for the trend of everyone stuffing themselves into strapless dresses that usually didn't flatter the people, so I am glad to see a different, more flattering style. I think that if you made it too slim/tight, it wouldn't fit as gracefully--

I agree! The dress is beautiful on you as is, Congratulations and enjoy your day to the fullest!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

9161-alvina-valenta-wedding-dress-2011-bridal-gowns-ivory-champagne-lace-v-neck-ribbon-sash-detail.original.jpg?1357171068lace-charmeuse-trumpet-gown-sleeveless-v-neckline-natural-waist-taffeta-sash-sweep-train.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTXKSZan0dLQK8r3oSQnq_QF8tg--tZy6oAVX-_6WBKXkRmjgeug

I love the sash idea! Have a wonderful wedding!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think it is such a classic looking beautiful dress. It shows off the dress and not your tiny waist, but it is beautiful, and will make you a beautiful bride. If you don't find a sash you love, don't even worry about it, the dress is nice!!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful dress.

I agree with many others, you need to have it altered a bit. I'd also suggest a push up bra. You won't believe the difference it will make with the look of that dress!

While i don't think it needs to be altered at all

I agree with the push up bra statement. There is nothing wrong with your boobs, they are in a good spot, but a good push up bra, can make your boobs look like hollywood! And make everything else look tinier :)
  • callandert
    callandert Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your dress is lovely :) and your figure compliments the style. Simply steam the dress (have it done professionally (at the drycleaner, tailor or where you bought the dress, if you don't have a steamer yourself) to iron out the wrinkles and then hang it back up and save it for your special day!

You won't be disappointed!
  • chickenchaser78
    chickenchaser78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous dress. I do think it could benefit from a sash of some sort. I did a quick google and you can see images of all sorts of neat ideas. It doesn't have to be a large ribbon even though neutral colored ones...and even color look nice. Some dresses had a flower sash or even a rhinestone one which looked really lovely and classy.

Good luck with everything. It is a lovely dress though!
  • goombasmom
    goombasmom Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Here is an inexpensive fast solution. You could try a decorative dress clip. It'll make your dress a little more form fitting, as long as you don't have anything fancy on the back of your dress (elaborate train).

http://acostumejewelryshop.com/cinch-dress-garment-clips-c-59.html

I'm not sure how the back of our dress looks. I'd suggest one of the plain clips, and decorating it with a vintage pin, pretty bow, or flowers.

Whatever choice you make, I'm sure you'll be stunning! :)
  • lisavolungis
    lisavolungis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It looks like a fairly simple tailoring job to nip it in at the waist. This might sound a little funny but since you can wear a bra with it... maybe try a padded bra that will fill up the little bit of extra space...? Or a sash/ wedding belt like they sell at David's Bridal could work great also.
  • Christineduncan101112
    Options
    A sash would be great. I got married recently and could hardly eat or drink as the dress was so tight . You need to be comfortable as wel as gorgeous. Your dress is beautiful. Have a great day and enjoy yourself xx
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    The dress is beautiful. If you didn't get a sash I'd suggest just getting a seamstress to put a coupls of darts in it. I had that done on a bridesmaids dress 2 years ago. It shouldnt take hardly any time at all to be done, & wont spoil the line of the dress if you didn't want to go with a cinched in waist with a sash
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    6 days.. is there anyway you could still get into a seamstress and get it taken in so that it fits snuggly where you want it to?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Have it altered! There is no need to wear a dress that doesn't fit.