On medication that makes it hard to loose weight?

Options
Hi! I am on a lot of MD prescribed medication for medical problems that makes it easy to gain weight and very hard to lose. Is there anyone else out there like me who wants a friend?
Lo65

Replies

• alliex
    alliex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I take clozapine (which according to the leaflet in the pack lists "profound weight gain" as a common side effect).

I'll add you, hopefully we can support each other

allie x
  • MerdiJune
    MerdiJune Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm off the medication that caused me to gain weight (Zoloft), but it's still pretty tough to lose the weight I put on because of it. I'll add you both :)
  • alliex
    Options
    I've been on zoloft before. I didn't really gain much on it, it wasn't until I tried the clozapine/mirtazapine concoction that things really got out of hand.

Sometimes when I'm struggling, for instance if I crave something unhealthy, I have to tell myself over and over that it's the meds talking.

Anyone have any other good suggestions for staying on track whilst fighting the weight gain effects of the pills?
  • MerdiJune
    MerdiJune Posts: 68
    Options
    You might want to talk to your doctor about Welbutrin. I've been on it for months, and haven't had any weight-related side effects. Some people even lose weight while on Welbutrin.
  • KindleKate
    KindleKate Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes! I take a blood thinner for a clotting disorder (genetic). Because so many diet-friendly foods (leafy green veggies and other sorts that contain high amounts of Vitamin K) play havoc with the efficacy of the dosage, I have to really watch my food choices and how often I eat certain foods.

But it can be done! I am happy to 'friend' you. Good luck!
  • lillith1991
    Options
    My seroquel made me gain an extra 15lbs. I was ok with what I had before but that 15lbs is bugging me. The combo of trileptal, seroquel, prasozin, and ativan work though so I've got no other complaint.

And I wouldn't mind a friend. Friends make things easier in the long run.
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, i am under Xeplion ( paliperidone ) since last July and it made me gain 29 pounds in a couple of months ... My doctor told me to follow a low carb diet ... And it works, but it's pretty hard to follow. Feel free to add me :-)
  • alliex
    Options
    Is the paliperidone working for you? I tried it for 6 months but it didn't really help me enough to justify the side effects.
    If it's not working how you need it to, maybe ask your doctor if there's an alternative?
  • MiawMiawMiaw
    MiawMiawMiaw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My seroquel made me gain an extra 15lbs. I was ok with what I had before but that 15lbs is bugging me. The combo of trileptal, seroquel, prasozin, and ativan work though so I've got no other complaint.

I have exactly the same problem. Gained about 40lbs on the Seroquel. Thankfully I'm being switched onto Lithium but that is also know to cause weight gain so will just have to wait and see I guess!
  • Muunlite
    Muunlite Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm on a lot of doctor ordered medications due to heart issues. Gaining the weight was my doing but now loosing seems so very hard and feel it's definitely the medications. I am going to friend you. :smile:
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    @ Alliex : Paliperidone is actually working for me. Weight gain and hyperprolactinemia are the only side effects i have ( although i still need to make a blood check : haven't had one in nearly a year ).
    Before that i was under Abilify. I also gained weight (although less than under paliperidone ) but it was worse : even after years under it i could not help having binges and was always tired ( i was always telling myself i would study when i was coming back from uni but always had to make a 3 hour nap despite my alarm clock being programmed after just an hour ! )
    So i am quite happy with my actual med, epecially since my weight is eventually going down ( i had tried to loose for 6 months before that, with no success ).
    Forgive my English, i am French ;-)
  • redfro2
    redfro2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Seroquel did that to me too. Was on Lithium, but I got tremors so bad I had to switch. Now I'm on Seroquel, Effexor and Lamictal. They work for me as far as the bipolar is concerned, but the weight gain is something I can't live with anymore.

Please feel free to add me!

I have exactly the same problem. Gained about 40lbs on the Seroquel. Thankfully I'm being switched onto Lithium but that is also know to cause weight gain so will just have to wait and see I guess!
  • sheilatush
    sheilatush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am also on medications for depression..bi-polar...Ocd ..lupus and fibro
    And been on steroids for lupus 24 years. Been losing weight though since
    I joined MFP...and still on all my meds.
    You all more than welcome to add me.
    Sheila
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You might want to see if a substitution can be made. Some doctors are not sensitive to this and have to be told explicitly. I once was on a drug that had a metabolic effect and my weight went up to an all-time high. I was too tired to exercise, although I tried. Finally, I did some research and told the doctor I had to stop taking it before my weight got out of control.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Paxil made me put on a lot of weight and my dr told me Paxil doesn't make you gain but no matter what I did I didn't lose weight on Paxil, nothing worked, I went off the Paxil and lost weight right away. Talk to your Dr about a substitute.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You might want to talk to your doctor about Welbutrin. I've been on it for months, and haven't had any weight-related side effects. Some people even lose weight while on Welbutrin.

If you want to see whether a drug is associated with weight gain, don't stop at the drug's web site. The reporting is often not complete. I suspect that drug companies deliberately undercount complaints. Instead Google the drug and look for fora on which people report their experiences. This is a good strategy if you're curious about any side effect you're having.
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I take Celexa, which I read makes you gain weight.. I also have fibromyalgia.. With a lot of determination and eating right with exercise (walking) in one year I have lost over 33 lbs.. It was hard but it can be done :)
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Welbutrin is not without side effects either, mine including racing heart, increased blood pressure and profound anger issues, even to the point of walking up to random people on the street and saying any mean thing I could come up with regarding their appearance....I even tried to punch random people in the face for fun. Stopped that medication cold turkey.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    On gabapentin. It makes me so tired, but I fight through it.

I was on a super low dose, but have recently (last 3-4 weeks) had that upped by 6x. I know it can cause weight gain and water retention. Mostly I feel I'm dealing with lethargy / fatigue but not sure if that's all the meds, or a combination of the meds and the radiculopathy.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options

Be cautious with Wellbutrin; it caused me to have seizures. And I am NOT epileptic.