Ladies - Who lost 100+ with lifting heavy???

Options
I am currently right around 250 pounds and my UGW is around 140. I have recently started heavy lifting and using more free weights, in addition to some cardio and eating at a deficit. I'm just wondering if there are any ladies out there who have lost this much (100+) by lifting. I see lots of ladies on here who have lost 100+ with cardio and running. I am so NOT a runner and find cardio kind of boring, but I am really enjoying lifting. I just need to know that it's possible to succeed with this type of program. Thanks!

Replies

• TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LouiseZoeH
    LouiseZoeH Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not anywhere near the 100 pound mark, but I have lost 49, and I do a lot of heavy lifting. I started crossfit (combo of olympic lifting, cardio, and gymnastics). I hated cardio too, but have fell in love with crossfit, it's shorter spurts (for the most part) of cardio, except there are some days when there are more cardio. I have just accepted that I am going to have to do some cardio. It hasn't gotten easier since I have gotten more in shape and my indurance improves.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would love to try crossfit, but there isn't anywhere close by that does it. I live in a small town in southwest Virginia. It kinda sucks, because what is available is so limited. I can't even find a Zumba class that doesn't require at least a 30 minute drive one way. And that's one thing I really think I could get into. I bought the Zumba dvd set a while back, but I just can't seem to get into it alone in my room. Thanks for your info and hopefully someone else will share some success as well.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I have lost 70 with a combo of the 2.... started at 240 and hated running too.... it is easier as you get smaller and I actually ended up loving it so you never know???? Wish you the best!!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55lbs so far with heavy lifting as my main exercise routine. It has definitely helped tighten my skin a bit. Also, its best to go by how your clothes fit and not the scale when you lift weights.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose 100+ with lifting heavy, but lifting was a part of how I got fit. The heart health benefits of cardio (especially if you're very overweight and at higher risk of heart disease and other cardiac issues) are not to be ignored, but you don't have to be a cardio bunny to lose weight.

I shed most of my weight with primarily cardio (*not* running) and body weight exercises, but changed my body composition the most with lifting/strength training.

Good luck!
  • TheShrinkingKween
    Options
    I haven't cut out cardio all together, and I won't. The health benefits far outweigh my boredom. Right now, I do cardio on my non-lifting days, and I mix it up... 20 mins on the treadmill, 20 mins on the elliptical, and 20 mins on the bike. Spending much more than 20 minutes on any one thing and I just want to bang my head against the wall! LOL It doesn't help that our little gym has only one elliptical (which is my favorite of the 3), and no tv's or anything, so when I am on it, I have my music in my ears, but I have no choice but to stare at the same building across the street. haha I am going to try doing more walking outdoors. I live right next to the local middle school, so I can walk to that track and walk anytime, and I get to take my dog with me.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    totally possible. follow a proven program. this will be me in 1-2 years.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Not quite at 100 - 93 right now - but I was doing a circuit with my lifting portion being "heavy". What I mean is I'll do 15 minutes on bike to warm up a little then work on 1 routine for whatever day I have- ie upper body lifting with 8 to 10 reps per exercise. In between each exercise, I'd do something cardio like jumping jacks, etc. I'd do another 15 on bike and repeat, followed by one last 15 minutes on bike followed by my routine. If I had any energy, usually not, I'd do a last 15 minutes on bike but at a cool down type speed.

Now, by WAS, I mean I broke my ankle (not exercise related) and had to take some time off. I'm just getting back in the gym now.

**A little "science". I was told that having lean muscle helps burn fat faster. It seems to be that way for me but I'm not a nutritionist so can't guarantee it..lol

Oh, I started out at 308 so running was NOT in the cards but I could bike for a few minutes, so had to work my way up to the 15 minutes. I, of course, wasn't a runner then but had started the C25k before the ankle break. I do plan on trying it again when/if the doctor allows. Right now, I'm concentrating on trying to walk properly again.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've lost roughly 90 lbs and have been lifting weights for over a year now. Granted, the majority of that year was spent doing the machines and not actual free weights but I've started getting into those earlier this year. I love that I'm wearing a size of jeans right now that I last wore when I was 40 lbs lighter! Hooray for the body changing powers of strength training. I want so desperately to be under 200 lbs right now but I've been bouncing back and forth with the same 5 lbs for months now, so I'm really going to try and just focus more on my strength training and trust in the knowledge that it will help me to eventually lose this damn weight.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 265--I started kettlebell training at about 225, and lifting heavy around 210....I'm down to 168 now. It certainly can be done! :drinker:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 265--I started kettlebell training at about 225, and lifting heavy around 210....I'm down to 168 now. It certainly can be done! :drinker:

and you're so awesome!:flowerforyou:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    In for the win.

30 down, 30+ to go. This WILL happen.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I feel much better about what I'm doing now! I'm looking forward to being able to share my success stories in a few months.
  • Chelz_Belz
    Chelz_Belz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started at 294 (5'4/f) and have gotten to 192 in 8 months with heavy lifting 3 days a week and cardio 2-3 days a week, lifting has changed my body in ways I never thought were possible!!
  • sarahn724
    sarahn724 Posts: 13
    Options
    Just for my own personal curiosity, what does everyone consider heavy? I am really interested in lifting but not sure what heavy really means. Thanks!
  • zenyacleveland
    zenyacleveland Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    !
  • zenyacleveland
    zenyacleveland Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started at 294 (5'4/f) and have gotten to 192 in 8 months with heavy lifting 3 days a week and cardio 2-3 days a week, lifting has changed my body in ways I never thought were possible!!

Please share program thanks!
  • Chelz_Belz
    Chelz_Belz Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Please share program thanks!

I do a lot of Crossfit style workouts, its an obsession! At first i would just look up Crossfit wod's then i eventually started working with some trainers. The most common format I do is a circuit; 4 to 6 rounds of 5-8 strength exercises mixed with things like burpees, sprints, squat jumps, etc at varying reps depending on weight/difficulty, I try to make it about an hour in time. I am not super structured because i go crazy doing the same thing over and over :)
  • floridapanthergirl
    floridapanthergirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would like to start heavy lifting, but don't know where to begin. Got the book Heavy Lifting for Women, but have not dug into it yet. Anyone recommend a DVD or program I can do at home?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!