• scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    great list
  • Lachesis
    Lachesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!

1. Eat back workout calories. MFP adds them into your daily total for a reason! You need that energy.

2. Eat at least 1200 every day (many, many people need more than that.)

3. Yes, it is okay to eat XYZ in moderation.

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little.

5. Don't weigh in every day. Water and hormones make weight fluctuate wildly.

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries.

7. It's okay to keep your diary closed- or open for everyone!

8. Slow loss = good loss. It adds up.

9. Indulging sometimes is totally okay.

10. We're all here with a common goal, so don't be a jerk.

BONUS: Everyone's got a different body! We are all shaped differently, we work differently. Get to know your own and don't compare it with others.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wow! Very good! Your are kind but straightforward, honest yet gracious. Thank you!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    New members need to know there is a search function in the forums.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ******sorry, I HATE the correction key! It should have read you're not your inky post!!! Yup, I am a bit of a grammar nazi! <cringe>
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above and would like to add:

11. There is no miracle pill, wrap or other snake oils that will lose the weight for you. Only a calorie deficit will do that (and exercise can aid in that goal).

lifeshard.gif
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Great list!

Something else to add to it:

Weigh/Measure your portions. Get a couple sets of measuring cups and spoons and a food scale.
  • gks1970
    gks1970 Posts: 3
    Options
    THANK YOU FussyFruitbat!! I appreciate you for running it down for the MFP crowd. I especially like #8. It has taken me a little over a year to lose my most recent 30 pounds, but I am not just losing weight, I am transforming my lifestyle and my body. Thanks again, for your list.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Use search button on forums. Read the sticky posts.
    Make sure to take a before picture ;)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries.

:huh:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    there ya go!
    I would add....read the FAQs and some of the pinned topics before you ask the same questions everyone else who didn't read them asks. Yes, its ok not to know something....but the tools are there to use!
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Great List!
  • slc_denver13
    slc_denver13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. :D
  • tlm0403
    tlm0403 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love this! Well said!! Thank you for posting!
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

u wottt...
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This is a good post - I wish that I'd have found something like this when I first joined. Mind you, though, if a person is dedicated to changing their lifestyle, I suppose that person would find these answers through experimentation, research, or trolling the forums. Nonetheless, it's helpful :)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

2. Eat at least 1200 every day (many, many people need more than that.)

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little.

5. Don't weigh in every day. Water and hormones make weight fluctuate wildly.

2. As you said, everyone is different. There are people that are put on a diet of 1,200 or less for medical reasons and are under direct medical supervision. There are also other factors like height and weight that determine that. A very petite person may eat 1,200 calories and be just fine.

4. No, you don't. MFP has a deficit set for you already and is designed to help you lose weight ONLY based on eating fewer calories. That is why most people eat back their calories, because they are already in a large deficit. Many people lose weight just fine without exercising.

5. Why not? I weigh in every day and it does no harm. Yes, there are fluctuations but some people are interested in seeing true weight and charting it, fluctuations and all. There can literally be no harm done by stepping on the scale every day.
  • MissClarey
    MissClarey Posts: 13
    Options
    This is fantastic. Thank you for posting!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    One thing I wish all MFP members knew is to not make self-righteous posts about newer people who are beginners and ignorant as if they themselves came here knowing everything.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above and would like to add:

11. There is no miracle pill, wrap or other snake oils that will lose the weight for you. Only a calorie deficit will do that (and exercise can aid in that goal).

I'm so glad someone said this. It makes me furious every time I see or hear an advertisement for "miracle weight loss pill/ drink/ procedure!"