Replies

• ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    WELL SAID! :D
  • SueFromRI
    SueFromRI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you must weigh in daily remember, the scale does NOT only weigh fat, it also weighs bones, clothes, stomach contents, organs,water, and waste. You did not gain 5 pounds of fat overnigt, nor did you lose it.
  • daisy79
    daisy79 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above and would like to add:

11. There is no miracle pill, wrap or other snake oils that will lose the weight for you. Only a calorie deficit will do that (and exercise can aid in that goal).

lifeshard.gif

Haha!!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    One thing I wish all MFP members knew is to not make self-righteous posts about newer people who are beginners and ignorant as if they themselves came here knowing everything.

So that can be 12? on the list?

I am going to add 13....why can`t people just get along :tongue:
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Good list, but the only one I disagree with is weighing everyday. Studies have shown that people who weigh everyday are less likely to gain weight than people who don't because they are constantly vigilant and mindful of their weight. But like everything it's not for everybody.

See, I'm undecided on this.

I weigh everyday - I don't always log it and I usually forget what it is. I weigh because I like to know what affects food, mood and sleep can do to my body - if I gain 1lb or lose 5lbs - the only thing I log is my mood and I wait until I see stability on the scales. I have, on average, lost about 2-3lbs a week and I'm happy with that. When I weighed in weekly, I would push and push to see a bigger number. I have a general rule that I weigh once a day and if the weight loss/gain is plus or minus 0.5lbs I will track it. I normally weigh less than my stated weight on here (only by half a pound) just to ensure stability.

BUT (!!) - Some people could see weighing in everyday as a challenge to lose a pound a day or something, and would become discouraged if there was a slight gain. I have gains by that theory all the time, but I can't always do everything the same each time - but the gains are oz's rather than lbs. If they were 0.5lbs more, I would log them. If I did gain, I would be determined, but I wouldn't restrict.

Therefore, I think it depends entirely on your mindset :)
  • SandiW02
    SandiW02 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You make some excellent points here! I don't mind the comments as long as they are respectful - I mean if I forget to log water I would love the reminder.
  • teecee46
    teecee46 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great post FussyFruitbat - I'm new and it's a really useful list!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Great post...I would only add that it is important to add lean tissue to your body as you lose weight to maintain your weight loss, so insure you eat enough protein every day and working out is critical to weight management and health.

You can lose a 100 lbs but if you can't keep it off what good was the experience.

Unfortunately, you can't add lean tissue (muscle) while at a calorie deficit but you can try to maintain what you already have. In doing that, adequate protein intake along with a weight training regimen is highly recommended.

This^
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    But I have put on muscle while at on calorie deficit..
    Of course I had no muscle to begin with.... but whatev.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    But I have put on muscle while at on calorie deficit..
    Of course I had no muscle to begin with.... but whatev.

No, you lost weight and made your muscles look more defined. And yes, I promise you did have muscles because literally everyone has muscles.
  • am2anangel
    am2anangel Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ilove your picture choice made me lol "no missing socks." Lol
  • HereCOMESErika
    HereCOMESErika Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    1. Eat back workout calories. MFP adds them into your daily total for a reason! You need that energy.

2. Eat at least 1200 every day (many, many people need more than that.)

3. Yes, it is okay to eat XYZ in moderation.

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little.

5. Don't weigh in every day. Water and hormones make weight fluctuate wildly.

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries.

7. It's okay to keep your diary closed- or open for everyone!

8. Slow loss = good loss. It adds up.

9. Indulging sometimes is totally okay.

10. We're all here with a common goal, so don't be a jerk.

BONUS: Everyone's got a different body! We are all shaped differently, we work differently. Get to know your own and don't compare it with others.

NICE!
  • hsubharas
    hsubharas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Exactly. :)
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    One thing I wish all MFP members knew is to not make self-righteous posts about newer people who are beginners and ignorant as if they themselves came here knowing everything.

I think you just broke rules #6 and 10 :laugh:
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'd add this:

There's a difference between just losing weight and gaining health.

You can technically lose weight eating nothing but marshmallows and never getting off the couch as long as you're at a calorie deficit. You cannot, however, be healthy that way. Being healthy requires that you eat healthy foods a majority of the time and get some form of healthy physical activity in addition to being at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Here on mfp there are people taking both approaches. Some people only care about fitting into smaller clothes and they don't really care how they get there. Some people are in pursuit of genuine health and have a very exclusive mindset about what is acceptable. Many people fit somewhere in between. Figure out what your values and desires are in that arena, and take any advice that doesn't fit those goals with a grain of salt.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    14. Take your time and stop freaking out. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    1. Eat back workout calories. MFP adds them into your daily total for a reason! You need that energy.

2. Eat at least 1200 every day (many, many people need more than that.)

3. Yes, it is okay to eat XYZ in moderation.

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little.

5. Don't weigh in every day. Water and hormones make weight fluctuate wildly.

7. It's okay to keep your diary closed- or open for everyone!

8. Slow loss = good loss. It adds up.

9. Indulging sometimes is totally okay.

10. We're all here with a common goal, so don't be a jerk.

BONUS: Everyone's got a different body! We are all shaped differently, we work differently. Get to know your own and don't compare it with others.

1. Don't use MFP totals. Calculate your TDEE and set it to the proper activity level which includes your workouts.

2. Once you have your TDEE, subtract and eat a reasonable deficit.

4. Workout for what? You don't "need" to workout to lose weight. However, it is an important part of overall health and fitness.

5. There is nothing wrong with weighing in and tracking every day.

6. Sort of like this post? A slight bit hypocritical.

10. Oh? Can you tell me what my goal is? Don't assume that we all have the same motives for being here.

xoxo
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

I think you just broke rules #6 and 10 :laugh:

No, the OP's post broke rule #6. And I'm not being a jerk, I am being blunt. There is a difference.