Bump and this should be stickied.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    No, it should not. Sorry.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    One thing I wish all MFP members knew is to not make self-righteous posts about newer people who are beginners and ignorant as if they themselves came here knowing everything.

I think you just broke rules #6 and 10 :laugh:

No, the OP's post broke rule #6. And I'm not being a jerk, I am being blunt. There is a difference.

You're right dude!:flowerforyou: I'm also pretty blunt. I don't like that the OP used the word "jerk" and assume that everyone is here for the same goals.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Apparently every lb lost is fat and every lb gained is water.. I didn't know this until I started reading MFP forums.

Don't confuse the newbies!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Pretty good for the most part, but I disagree with eating back workout calories. There are days when I spend 6 to 8 hours doing yard work, gardening, general farm work, and I'd have to eat like a football team to eat all that back. I'm always under my calorie plus exercise "goal", and it works for me.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If you must weigh in daily remember, the scale does NOT only weigh fat, it also weighs bones, clothes, stomach contents, organs,water, and waste. You did not gain 5 pounds of fat overnigt, nor did you lose it.

I weigh first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, after pooping, naked, and with a scale that accounts for body fat. Check. Mate.

I weigh first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, right after pooping, naked, standing on my head after spitting into the sink for 20 minutes with a scale that tells me I'm still fat. Check. Mate.
  • Tendlr
    Tendlr Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump.....great post
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Well from what I am reading I don't think she is being a know-it-all. However I do think that from this post she will receive numerous FR from people thinking that she can offer a solution to their problems. Please understand, that post such as these comes with responsibility. I would never post anything of this caliber because, the reality is I do not have the answer and the last thing I need is to have people asking me what to do. My answer to everything is often to drink vodka.
    I thought the answer to everything is either sex, alcohol, or bacon... even better when they're all rolled up into one :love:
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    One thing I certainly wish all new MFP members knew and remember is that we were all in their shoes at one time. We all were at the beginning of the journey at some point. Scared of where we were headed. Not knowing if we could do this. Fearing failure. We've all been there. So don't worry, newbies. You aren't alone. And for the most part, it can be a pretty supportive bunch.

And I also wish they would know that it is okay if you blow your food goal for one day. A set back of one day isn't the end of the world. It isn't a reason to give up, and throw in the towel. Failure isn't fatal. You learn. You grow. Because we are human and we all screw up from time to time. I do. We all do. It's how we learn and overcome the little bumps in the road that make us stronger and better as people.
  • CurlyC28
    CurlyC28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob.. Thanks for the list. I'll be sure to keep it in mind! :)
  • meldel49
    meldel49 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love all you said! Makes sense! Thanks
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That's a serious sign of an eating disorder. Please let your friend know they need to seek help!

Hmm. Remind me.....

6. Not everyone wants your unsolicited advice and judgments, even if you're only trying to help. Respect boundaries.
  • Zoemarie89
    Zoemarie89 Posts: 59
    Options
    AMEN! :)
  • liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't agree with the exercise one - I'm losing weight fine without working out. I won't work out when I've lost weight so don't see why I should add something into my life that I won't be able to keep up with. I think keeping a healthier lifestyle and taking healthier choices by walking more or by taking the stairs instead of a lift, for example, is good enough.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options

2. Eat at least 1200 every day (many, many people need more than that.)

4. Yes, you do need to workout if only a little.

5. Don't weigh in every day. Water and hormones make weight fluctuate wildly.

I don't think there is harm, per se, in weighing in everyday so long as that person is aware of the normal changes each day. I responded to a posting with a woman wondering if she should buy another new scale because hers wasn't the same each day. Of coarse, she couldn't understand why it wasnt the same each hour either - now THAT I think most people would agree is not healthy (weighing every hour). I understand where the OP is coming from.

2. As you said, everyone is different. There are people that are put on a diet of 1,200 or less for medical reasons and are under direct medical supervision. There are also other factors like height and weight that determine that. A very petite person may eat 1,200 calories and be just fine.

4. No, you don't. MFP has a deficit set for you already and is designed to help you lose weight ONLY based on eating fewer calories. That is why most people eat back their calories, because they are already in a large deficit. Many people lose weight just fine without exercising.

5. Why not? I weigh in every day and it does no harm. Yes, there are fluctuations but some people are interested in seeing true weight and charting it, fluctuations and all. There can literally be no harm done by stepping on the scale every day.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Pretty good for the most part, but I disagree with eating back workout calories. There are days when I spend 6 to 8 hours doing yard work, gardening, general farm work, and I'd have to eat like a football team to eat all that back. I'm always under my calorie plus exercise "goal", and it works for me.

If you do that kind of work regularly, you should count it in your TDEE (meaning, you're not sedentary). And, yes, you should eat more. How can you not be exhausted when you don't fuel your activities?
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    :love: Perfect advice!
  • AndorZensko
    AndorZensko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    that sums it up very nicely, thank you
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Well from what I am reading I don't think she is being a know-it-all. However I do think that from this post she will receive numerous FR from people thinking that she can offer a solution to their problems. Please understand, that post such as these comes with responsibility. I would never post anything of this caliber because, the reality is I do not have the answer and the last thing I need is to have people asking me what to do. My answer to everything is often to drink vodka.
    I thought the answer to everything is either sex, alcohol, or bacon... even better when they're all rolled up into one :love:
    You forgot chocolate.