Tips for thickening smoothies?

Options
2»

Replies

• josieonmars
    Options
    A wee bit of Xanthan gum is all you need!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    ice cream. ;^)
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    you could also try silken tofu
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    How about chia seeds? Anyone tried adding those in their protein drinks?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Bananas aren't that high in calories. No more than avocados that everyone is suggesting
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    I use greek yoghurt and a splash of water instead of milk. Frozen fruit is also a great way to make a smoothie thicker - I buy frozen berries anyway as they are cheaper than fresh, but you can freeze anything, banana, mangoes etc.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I only use fruits and ice. I never add anything else to mine, but I like the "slushie" texture better.
  • Alythatgirl
    Options
    i know this sounds weird but i have tried recipes that use fat free cottage cheese to thicken smoothies. it tasted pretty good!
    http://dashingdish.com/recipe/key-lime-pie-protein-shake/
  • Ladysquire
    Ladysquire Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use psyllium husk to thicken mine up. Keeps me fuller for longer too. I like the avocado idea....might give that a go
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Check out the Dashing Dish website. All her's are really thick and yummy !
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    What thickens my smoothies up is freezing my fruit and then adding. That and yogurt. Also the less water you add the better.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options

Most of my smoothies start out with a TBS of chia seeds, 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 2 TBS of Chobani or Fage, whatever I have, add fruit and spinach. I get a really thick smoothie out of these ingredients.
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds /and/or ground flax seed. The flax will def thicken it up, I use 1 tbsp of flax seed with 3 tbsp of water in place of eggs in my pancakes since I can't have eggs.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Agar jelly. Lots of fiber, and no calories. Makes smoothies really creamy and it mimics the mouth feel of fat so you can use nonfat yogurts
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Most of my smoothies start out with a TBS of chia seeds, 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 2 TBS of Chobani or Fage, whatever I have, add fruit and spinach. I get a really thick smoothie out of these ingredients.

Right now I use a tsp of psyllium husk to "thicken" my shake but it isn't that thickening. Perhaps I should try chia seeds instead!
  • Diyamommy
    Diyamommy Posts: 56
    Options
    try greenthickies.com. She uses oatmeal to thicken her smoothies.
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    xantham gum?
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I use 1/4 scoop of protein powder...the vanilla flavor so it goes with the yogurt. :) It thickened it up and I'm still full two hours later! :)
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Dry Oats. I usually use 1/4 cup of rolled oats in mine. When blended really well, you cant even tell its in there.