Reaching a BIG goal in a small amount of time.

Options
Fragilebird24
Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
I have a large and possibly unrealistic goal that I have my eyes set on. In December, I'll be going to Disney World for my very first time with my best friend (who has been there 9 times) and I really would love to lose, oh I don't know, like fifty pounds by then... eek. Now, I know this post will most likely attract the usual "MFP is for people trying to lose weight the healthy way" or "It took a while to put on, it will take a while to take off." I completely understand these comments. HOWEVER, I would like to know if anyone out there has achieved a similar a goal in five months. Let me add that I currently weigh 204 pounds, eating very unhealthy, and pretty sedentary. I HAVE lost weight before, so I know that I can do it. I know what I need to do to lose the weight, I just need to stay motivated. I also want to add that I do not want to starve myself in order to reach this goal. So, does anyone out there believe this is doable? Or am I way over my head? Has anyone achieved something like this? If so, how?

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've lost 61 lbs in six months.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    That's about 2lbs per week, so it is doable.
  • Fragilebird24
    Options
    Mamadon, how'd you do it?
  • dale38fan
    dale38fan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 in the first 4 months of this year. It can be done and healthy. Eat right and start moving!
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is one of those times that you should focus more on losing inches. If you look fantastic it doesn't matter what you weigh. Add some strength training to whatever you're already doing. You shed pounds pretty quickly but you also lose inches unbelievably fast. And as someone else said it's 2 pounds per week so it's not completely unreasonable.
  • kMcMahan2010
    Options
    I know someone who has lost somewhere between 70-80 pounds (I think the official number is like 74 or something?) since February (yes I know that is extremely fast, but she was also extremely obese, I believe somewhere past 500 pounds at her highest), so I would say 50 pounds by December is do-able! Good luck!
  • Fragilebird24
    Options
    It's honestly more realistic for me to go by inches. The majority of the time, if I don't see a change in the scale I end up giving up. I CANNOT give up this time. I chose fifty pounds because I thought I looked pretty good in the 150s. The smallest my waist ever was was 34 and now it is around 39. What would a good goal to reach in inches?
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day. I eat back any exercise calories. I eat whatever I want as long as its in my calorie range. We're all different though, what works well for me may or may not work well for another. A lot of people can't do 1200 calories and some people lose eating more than that.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Just around 2 lbs a week is doable, but difficult to maintain, unless you are also willing to put the literal sweat into it as well.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well I think that varies based on height and body type. If you liked the way you looked with a 34 inch waist then make that your goal. I think five inches is doable, especially if you find a good strength training workout you like.
    It's honestly more realistic for me to go by inches. The majority of the time, if I don't see a change in the scale I end up giving up. I CANNOT give up this time. I chose fifty pounds because I thought I looked pretty good in the 150s. The smallest my waist ever was was 34 and now it is around 39. What would a good goal to reach in inches?
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds in 4 months the first time I was on here.

then I got a second job and was working 16 hour days and gained it all back. now i'm going really slow, which I feel is better (read: frustrating) for ME.

do what feels right for you. if that is losing pounds or inches, that's up to you. but I believe you can do anything you put your mind to and even if you don't totally reach your goal, you'll still feel so much better.

good luck!
  • burntpan
    burntpan Posts: 1
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more. I haven't lost a pound so far ( I just revamped my work out about 2 weeks ago) but I feel great and I'm super tight. I've lost a size already, my joints don't feel stiff (I'm a designer I sit a lot). I even started jogging! I'm not going to worry about the scale at this point.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26 in the past 2.5 months so I can see 50 is doable. 1200 cals a day (I do not eat back my exercise calories), I work out 2 to 3 times/day! A gallon of water a day minimum. Eating meat, fat, nuts, berries, sweet potato and a "shake" (min is shakeology but you can decide while protein drink is right for you). If I didn't mention it above, I don't eat it or drink it.

You do what works for you though. In the past I've lost 100 in 9 months (500 cals a day and same work out routine, but that was not healthy nor recommended!).

Good luck to you, I hope you reach your goal!!!
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's likely doable. But just do your best everyday. That's all you can ask of yourself. Eat healthier and get active. It can be a bumpy road. You will have good days and bad ones. Sometimes good weeks and not so good ones. Just keep at it. Everyday is a day you become a better you! Don't beat yourself up along the way especially if you don't quite make your goal in 6 months. Just do the best you can! :)
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    If you like a challenge you can still join this group "Skinny Christmas 2013" Post your current weight and goal weight each week, plus there are little challenges to keep you motivated.

I think you can do it! It's not easy, but it's doable. My goal is 2#/week.You can add me as a friend - I log every day & my diary is open.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Try focusing more on inches lost. Inches can be lost so much, then all the weight goes right with it.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I've lost 53 lbs since January. It is doable. Great goal and reward all in one...I love Disney!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Having a goal is great but make sure that through out your weight loss you are building habits that will last a life time. That will be the difference between keeping it off and putting it back on. Two pound is doable. Make a plan and get stuck in.
    Good luck :smile:
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Having a goal is great but make sure that through out your weight loss you are building habits that will last a life time. That will be the difference between keeping it off and putting it back on. Two pound is doable. Make a plan and get stuck in.
    Good luck :smile:

this exactly! completely doable! Good luck :)
  • mrsb0223
    mrsb0223 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have lost 46 pounds in exactly 5 months. I have achieved this by eating healthy and working out. I wear a Fitbit and exercise 4-5 times a week doing the Couch to 5K program, 30 day shred, strength training, as well as cardio on the elliptical. You can do it, it's completely doable! Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!