IIFYM week 1 trying to fix metabolism

Options
wffolkes
wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
I started losing weight on 1800 kcals
dropped to 1500kcals
hit a plateau
started to up calories slowly but still stuck at around 203-205lbs
Dureing the last 3 month im the same weight not gained or lost but I think bf% has dropped due to insanity

Currently in month 2 of insanity and have set my marcos here are weeks 1 results hopefully ill lose scale weight next week.

BMTzhTHCcAEsSwz.jpg

204lbs
5ft 8inches
male

BMR - 2020
TDEE - 2952
TDEE - 20% - 2361

2361 - 2020 = 341 (meaning I should eat back any calories I exercise over this amount which on average is at least 500kcals)

hence ending on 2860

im going to give it one more week then see results if not then drop to true TDEE cut value.

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    your calorie burns seem high... id start by questioning that... and giving something 2 weeks before completely changing it is way too short...

how long was your plateau? how long was your climb from 1500 to 2800? How do you claim to be doing an IIFYM protocol, but, you still dont hit your calories (isnt that like the main concept... hit your calories w/ flexible eating)?
  • wffolkes
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback

I have a HRM I use during insanity workout its pretty consistent and id say as accurate as a HRM can be...

Plateau around 3 months ive been between 202 - 205 lbs but my bf% has dropped going to get it measured again after insanity has finished.

Still trying to tighten up on hitting my calorie intake consistently breakfast and lunch are pretty much routine however dinner is flexible due to my partner and living arrangements. Starting to find good foods which help fill the gap, 80% of my diet is healthy, plus if I hit it on average for the week thats the main goal.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Bumping to follow.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    This adding calories thing is a lot trickier than my data would lead me to believe. I was losing at 2,100 cal / day. I upped that to 2,300 cal/day and I stopped losing. I should be able to go to 2,800 cal/day and maintain. I'll give 2,300 cal / day a few more weeks and see where I end up. I am trying to maintain, so I'm ok with wherever this ends up, just curious to see where it does end up.

For you, I would give it more time at an intermediate level. 2,700 / day is a lot of calories and if you up them too fast, you may overshoot your eat more to gain more target.
  • wffolkes
    Options
    Yea thats true weighed in this morning and im 1lb up on last week, if I continue to go up another pound next week then I will need to adjust slightly and re *kitten* again.

Hopefully i'll figure out what's best for my body and get the weight going down again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think it's the smart thing to do. I might try something like this when I get 15 lbs to my goal or something.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Well, assuming your numbers are right, I guess you have a couple options. If you stalled out at 1500 I cant suggest you cut calories further, so, thats off the table. That leaves me thinking you can spend a few weeks at maintenance and then slowly bring calories down (like 50-100 a week) until you see fat loss resume. If that fails, id try doing some cyclical dieting or trying IF to see if it kick starts things. Good luck.
  • wffolkes
    Options
    Thanks dude

Hopefully the ball will start rolling again it may take eating at higher calories for longer than 2 weeks but i'm definitely init for the long haul.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Insanity is much more about measurements, inches and photos than scale weight, ditch the scales while you're doing it or you'll drive yourself mad.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

2361 - 2020 = 341 (meaning I should eat back any calories I exercise over this amount which on average is at least 500kcals)

i was with you until this....????
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale and weighing everything, daily?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    HRMs are notoriously bad at estimating calorie burn. I've seen many people on MFP overestimating calorie burn thanks to HRMs. They seem to be calibrated for people who are already rather fit, not people sorta just starting out.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Insanity like most duration cardio suffers from diminishing returns, unless your HRM is showing increased heartrate over time, you're probably receiving less caloric expenditure from the same insanity workout over and over. You're right in adjusting calories upward, probably. However, a 1000 calorie upspike all of a sudden is probably not going to produce the desired effect. I'd suggest tapering calories up to 2800 over months, instead of just suddenly eating that amount. This allows your body to gradually get accustomed to small increments in intake without being bombarded with excess energy that its probably not going to partition very well.

Just my two cents!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Insanity like most duration cardio suffers from diminishing returns,

you obviously havent done insanity!
  • aelunyu
    Options

I've done every form of cardio you can imagine. From circuit to crossfit to cross country. Cardio is cardio. The more you do it, the more you need to do it. Not saying that cardio is bad, just the adaptive process of the body handles it too well to maintain intensity throughout. We're genetically built to endure.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I've done every form of cardio you can imagine. From circuit to crossfit to cross country. Cardio is cardio. The more you do it, the more you need to do it. Not saying that cardio is bad, just the adaptive process of the body handles it too well to maintain intensity throughout. We're genetically built to endure.

insanity isnt duration cardio though.
  • wffolkes
    Options
    Insanity is not just cardio its more interval training mixed with body weight excercise and core workouts.
    Myy overall HR has dropped due to increased fitness level showing the the HRM is consistent so I don't think thats the issue at all. I started to burn less during workouts overall as a result of increased fitness.

Yes I weigh my food and tracking as accurately as I possibly can.

I also didn't spike from 1800 to 2860.

I don't judge my progress by the scale definitely happy with inches being loss and dropping bf% however the scale is another tool to use to help me to my goal.

:)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Trying to fix metabolism and losing weight are incompatible as simultaneous goals.
  • aelunyu
    Options
    If you are doing 30-45 minutes of cardio, it's definitely not HIIT. It's not long distance either. It's of the same camp as circuit training/crossfit/p90x..etc. Moderate duration cardio, HR above 140-155, for an extended amount of time. If that is not duration cardio, I really have no idea what you would suggest is.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh my food and tracking as accurately as I possibly can.

When you say "tracking as accurately" as you can, does this mean that sometimes you do not track meals? Are you going off schedule at times and having cheat meals? If so, these things will definitely stall your weight loss and bf% loss before you reach your goal.

Also keep in mind that IIFYM works better in the maintenance or bulking stage than it does the cutting stage.