Zumba or not to Zumba.. that is the question...

Options

Replies

• Cajoke123
    Cajoke123 Posts: 54
    Options
    I've done zumba for a few years now with a great teacher, and I love it!! I also have the xbox zumba, and that's good too, but not quite as fun. I would highly suggest zumba!
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love zumba - I've done it in a class and I've done the zumba game for PS3 and Wii. The class was a ton of fun! I love doing zumba at home because if I don't catch the steps, no one cares/notices (not like they did in the class either, everyone was also trying to keep up :] ) but I also find you don't have to do it RIGHT to enjoy it or get the workout in - as long as you're moving, you're burning! The music is catchy and fun and keeps me motivated - plus I get the songs stuck in my head and can't wait to dance to them again!
  • skinnydreams1997
    skinnydreams1997 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    is there any good zumba workouts that anyone has tried? I have been thinking about giving it a try for a while.
  • mariliak
    mariliak Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    for sure ZUMBA . I love dancing and still zumba always gives me the same excitment . I always wait for my zumba class like a child is waiting for christmas . I go 4 times a week , maybe 5 if I have more time . The dvds are alright but like all dvds its very easy to get bored cause its everytime the same routines and songs . In a zumba class u have an instructor new choreographies and new music everytime , plus u get to see how sexy u have become through the mirror . I also go to zumbathons and zumba events every weekend and I plan to become an instructor . I f u want my opinion zumba for me is the only exercise that is seriously fun . It feels like a latin party not like u are at a gym exxercising . But i would never suggest it for someone who cant follow moves . And like all exercises if u do it with intensity u burn a lot , if not u burn zero . so give it a try and i f u love it go to a live class with other people around . Its fun and it makes u look hot what else do u need ?
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, I started January 2nd with 25+lbs to lose and Zumba was all I did for the month of January and February! And, that with mfp, allowed me to lose weight well during that period. I then joined a gym and continue to do Zumba(I think it is the most fun) but I also supplement with classes with a higher intensity and that have interval training. I would definitely recommend it to someone who was just starting out and see if they like it. Its funny, most of the people I Zumba with, don't do the other high intensity classes and vice versa. I like the best of both worlds. i do get my heart rate up with Zumba and I do sweat. I also jump around like a crazy person on purpose to be sure i'm getting a good workout:)
  • mellowkate
    mellowkate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can't stress enough how much I love Zumba. It is not an exaggeration to say that it changed my life. I've always hated running (and exercise, in general) but my friend wouldn't shut up about Zumba classes. I went to one when I started trying to kickstart my weight loss, and I got hooked. When I'm on a treadmill, I find myself watching the seconds as they progress, but in Zumba class, an hour flies by without me even noticing - you just have so much fun!

As far as doing it in public, I've never minded going to classes. Although at first, I'll admit, I did try to find a spot that wasn't facing a mirror because I didn't want to see what I looked like. But then I saw that everyone else probably looked about as foolish as I did, but no one cared because we were all moving and sweating and having fun.

That said, if you are a little self-conscious (especially starting out), there are plenty of instructors who have put their classes up on YouTube - you should check those out.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! I prefer the classes to the dvds. Its a great cardio workout...I average between 500 and 800 cals per hour (depends on the instructor) per my polar hrm with chest strap.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    to quote my boot camp instructor " if you want easy then go take zumba"

Have you ever tried it? I burn more calories per hour at zumba then I do jogging on the treadmill. I use a polar hrm with chest strap to guage calories burned. Its not a lifting or "toning" class, so you still need to lift weights or do some body weight strength training, but as far as cardio workouts go, its hard to beat for calorie burn!
  • Panna9406
    Panna9406 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Zumba is ideal to get in shape, it's so much fun, perfect to get used to working out:). I started with zumba, but after a while I switched to something more intense.
    My advice to you: definitely try it;) and you'll fall in love with it:wink:
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    i have done the XBOX 360 zumba rush and have had fun. if you feel completely lost, just focus on the arms or the feet or just march in place until you can catch up again. As it is normal ot feely goofy and awkward, i would recommend trying it a couple of times before actually deciding whether or not you like it.
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love water Zumba..if you can find one..the water resistance helps burn more calories. Like a previous poster, I feel like I watch the seconds on a treadmill but Zumba flys by!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

My boot camp instructor is also my Zumba instructor. LOL Trust me, her classes are hard no matter what she's teaching.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic cardio! Combined with some form of strength/weight training on the side, its fantastic.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Never done the in home workout but have gone to classes and its so much fun! I have two daughters and I don't get to go out dancing as much I like, so this is the closest thing to it for me!

It is all about the instructor too though! Their routines and energy can make or break a class!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i like zumba a lot. That is one of my main forms of cardio. I don't know how i would like it if i was doing it at home. I do much better in group cardio.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun!
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    is that even a question?! It is always ZUMBA! I love it its so fun and i am thinking i am starting to get some rhythm :wink:
  • DamoniqueW
    DamoniqueW Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use Zumba Wii. I have Zumba 2 and Zumba core. I absolutely love Zumba core. There are way more varieties of dance. I'm just now getting in shape and on Zumba Wii you can do a short, medium, or long class. It's great!
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I did a Zumba class for probably 3 years during high school! I loved it zoo much! I moved and left that gym and haven't done it since :( I highly recommend. It!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options

My boot camp instructor is also my Zumba instructor. LOL Trust me, her classes are hard no matter what she's teaching.

Zumba is not easy! lol
    Last Friday went to a Zumba Party Class that was 90 mins! We had like 10 instructors and each had 2 to 3 routines - there was no stopping! I burned those calories! I was moving around so much, my HRM strap stopped picking up my HR! lol

My Zumba Teacher is also a Boot Camp Personal Trainer - Her FitCamp and Zumba classes are both intense!