Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I juice it because it tastes yucky.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Mmmm! Saute the kale in bacon fat (I save all bacon grease at my home--mostly for the purpose of sauteing greens!) You can toss in some minced garlic to saute with the kale as well if you think you'd like that flavor. Saute it until its nice and soft and if needed add some vegetable stock or, my favorite-- BEEF STOCK! Cover and cook it for a few minutes until it's as tender as you'd like. Salt and pepper to taste. You can add a couple of tsp of red wine vinegar if you like but usually it doesn't need it! :) Enjoy!
  • YaraZaraRizzo
    Options
    Sauté it with some lemon and garlic as a side to seafood,
    Make a Kale Salad with a lemon & olive oil dressing with some salt and garlic and any other veggies you so desire -- let it marinade in the dressing for about 20 minutes before chowing down - the acid in the lemon breaks down the proteins in the leaves making it nice and soft.
    A few key pointers with Kale -- avoid the curly 'Dragon Kale' -- it's dry and frankly pretty gross -- a better tasting Kale is Lacinto or Tuscan Kale (softer leaves - not curly) and it's best to 'core' it so you only use the leaves. The core can be tough and unpleasant to eat. Simply grab the end where the thickest part of the core is, hold on tight and strip off the leaves. I've also added it to minestrone and it comes out really good.

Trust me, I was scared of kale - for a long time. I mean.. come on! It was used as a plate decoration to hold a lemon wedge at a restaurant I used to work (which will remain nameless)

I'm officially addicted now. It's a lot more versatile than people may think and goes with a lot of foods. I've had kale with eggs :)
  • smcolton
    smcolton Posts: 78
    Options
    Bump
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This recipe is a lot like Olive Garden's "Zuppa Toscana" soup. It's one of the few things from that restaurant I actually like. You can sub turkey sausage to keep it lighter, omit the bacon or sub turkey bacon and you don't have to use heavy cream. You could sub half & half or even regular milk. It just won't be quite as thick, but the flavor is still good. I've even subbed homemade almond milk and the soup was still very tasty.
    Sausage and Kale soup
    1 lb sausage (italian, pork.... whatever)
    1 onion (chopped)
    A few slices of bacon (chopped) --optional--
    1 clove garlic (chopped)
    10 - 12 cups broth (made with boullon is fine)
    1 lb potatoes (sliced in bits, chunks, slices... whatever)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 bunch kale leaves (chopped)
    salt, pepper, oregano, thyme (all to taste)

brown sausage, bacon, garlic, and some onion
    add broth and boil
    add potatoes and cook until tender
    mush potatoes a bit
    add spices to taste
    add kale and heat through
    add cream and heat through

DELICIOUS!!!
  • perdita_bugg
    Options
    A dish I like to make: dice and roast some sweet potatoes.
    Roast some slivered almonds, set aside the potatoes and almonds.
    Sweat some garlic and onions off, add quinoa and toast it a bit w/garlic and onions. Then add water or veggie stock to cook quinoa, adding your kale (chopped) at the end to wilt it. Mix in the roasted sweet potatoes and almonds. Mix and devour. I usually make a lemon and honey mustard vin to drizzle on top. sorry I didn't give times or measurements, I am a professional chef, so I don't really use them :-/
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Bake it for about 10 min at 400 degrees with a little olive oil and salt. It tastes almost like potato chips!

i find that difficult to believe.
  • steffenk1
    steffenk1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We get Bountiful Baskets here in Hot Springs SD and we had got some in one of our baskets never tried it, had several suggestions from the girls at coop they said to fix it with olive oil and garlic and chicken breast or just olive oil and garlic out on the grill get on the internet and look up recipes there are some good ones. steffenk1
  • binabinapink
    binabinapink Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I saute a few cloves of garlic in a small amount of olive oil then saute the kale in it and add some salt, really delicious if you are a garlic lover.

Kale chips are ok, you can make them yummier by adding a bit of good parmesan cheese, you don't need a lot for it to taste good.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Bake it for about 10 min at 400 degrees with a little olive oil and salt. It tastes almost like potato chips!

i find that difficult to believe.
    He said almost...
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This was probably already said, so forgive me if I'm repeating! But I add a handful of kale and spinach to my protein smoothies in the morning. It's a GREAT way to add the fiber in along with all the other nutrients. And you really can't taste it for the most part. Doesn't bother me even a wee bit!
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i mix it into my smoothies and cant taste it at all! (either a frozen banana or frozen mixed berries,frozen spinach, fat free quark, almond milk, peanut butter, sugar free vanilla syrup, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and acai seeds):wink:
    i tried dried kale chips (with raspberries..cheesy...chocolate!) and hated them all..the smell when i opened the tub just made me barf!:sick:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Mmmm! Saute the kale in bacon fat (I save all bacon grease at my home--mostly for the purpose of sauteing greens!) You can toss in some minced garlic to saute with the kale as well if you think you'd like that flavor. Saute it until its nice and soft and if needed add some vegetable stock or, my favorite-- BEEF STOCK! Cover and cook it for a few minutes until it's as tender as you'd like. Salt and pepper to taste. You can add a couple of tsp of red wine vinegar if you like but usually it doesn't need it! :) Enjoy!

Yum this is the best add bacon for a kick and you'll love kale forever
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We got a big old bunch of kale in our CSA last week and I was at a loss. Maily because the kale was organic and had been attacked by flea beetles or something and looked kind of gross. Then I discovered: Kale and Walnut Pesto!

The amount of kale I had made 3 cups of pesto and I froze them in 1 cup batches. I used the first one tonight on some quinoa, cucumber, tomato and sweet onion. Very tasty! I used this recipe:

http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/easy-healthy-kale-walnut-pesto/

Kale and Walnut Pesto
    makes 2 cups, enough for about 2 lbs of pasta

1 bunch of kale
    1 tsp olive oil, plus 1/2 c
    1 c walnuts
    1/2 c grated pecorino
    1 clove garlic
    salt and pepper

1. Lightly steam the kale.

2. In the meantime, heat teaspoon of olive oil in a small pan and use to toast the walnuts, stirring frequently. The walnuts are done when they turn golden brown and are fragrant.

3. Place steamed kale, toasted walnuts, pecorino and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Puree as you slowly drizzle remaining 1/2 c of olive oil in a thin stream. Pesto is done when it’s pureed and creamy. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.

ETA I did add lemon juice to mine too because it needed it to taste like a proper pesto. :D
  • danitajo511
    Options
    Bump! yum!
  • Infamous624
    Infamous624 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I sautee it with a little coconut oil and a dash of seasalt. I also put it in oil and vinegar and let it sit about 20 minutes so it gets softer. Then add your other veges and wala kale salad!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Sausage and Kale soup
    1 lb sausage (italian, pork.... whatever)
    1 onion (chopped)
    A few slices of bacon (chopped) --optional--
    1 clove garlic (chopped)
    10 - 12 cups broth (made with boullon is fine)
    1 lb potatoes (sliced in bits, chunks, slices... whatever)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 bunch kale leaves (chopped)
    salt, pepper, oregano, thyme (all to taste)

brown sausage, bacon, garlic, and some onion
    add broth and boil
    add potatoes and cook until tender
    mush potatoes a bit
    add spices to taste
    add kale and heat through
    add cream and heat through

DELICIOUS!!!

i'm totally trying this, thanks :)
  • janellor
    janellor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Put some in a nutribullet with a banana.
  • SHINDY12
    SHINDY12 Posts: 53
    Options
    bump
  • ess52
    ess52 Posts: 10
    Options
    Give it a massage!
    Wash and chop kale. Place in a large bowl.
    Add juice of a lemon and 1 teaspoon of salt.
    Add whatever seasoning you fancy - e.g crushed garlic, wasabi powder or paste, chilli, etc.
    A good glug of olive oil.
    Find a good programme on TV.
    Put hands in bowl and lift and massage the contents for 10 minutes or so - (it should have reduced by half)
    Drain any free liquid at the bottom of the bowl.
    Add whatever you like that compliments the seasoning - e.g. nuts, fruit, onion, chopped tomatoes etc.
    Sit back and enjoy!

If in the UK, Morrisons have big bags of chopped kale for £1.