Ladies 5'3 or under! How much do you eat???

Options

Replies

• DrCaspianDoll
    DrCaspianDoll Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot even,1100-1400 cals a day I NEVER eat back my exercise calories
  • AndorZensko
    AndorZensko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Really it will all depend on you and your body. Sorry, but there is no guarantee that you will lose the weight that you want by the time you want it, just trying to be honest. That being said you really can do a lot for yourself in aiding the process of losing weight to reach your goal. It really is not harder for a short person to lose weight than a tall person, but usually the last 10lbs people tend to have a little bit of trouble with and you only have 12 to go. You can watch your calorie, fat, and carb intake, eat clean, watch what time of the day you eat, and exercise in aiding your body to drop the weight. But please remember that 110lbs is really only a number and healthy is what we really need to work for. If you follow sensibility with your food and exercise then I see no reason for you to not lose the last 12 lbs by November.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400-1800 a day. I bike, swim, walk, jog and whatever else I feel like and burn close to 500-1000 calories most days. I don't eat back calories as I use In Place Of A Road Map :)
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Hi..i'm 5 1. I started off eating 1200 and lost abt 30 lbs that way, then i switched it up to 1350 lost another 15 lbs. Currently i'm eating around 1440 a day and i have lost 7 lbs. As I got fitter I noticed I needed to eat a bit more to keep my energy level up. It's working out pretty well for me and I'm hoping to lose the last 30 lbs over the rest of t his year.

Do you think I should eat at 1200 calories a day? I would eat back my exercise calories then

No I honestly think you should probably be around the 1500 to 1600 range you dont need to lose very much weight so you should try to do it slowly. If you lose to fast, odds are you will just gain it back. It has taken me a year to lose 53 lbs.
  • chelctate
    chelctate Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm 5"2 and 126 pounds - I eat 1200 calories/day and typically eat back half of my exercise calories
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I eat 2000-2200 for maintenance right now and can actually lose a little at 2000. I couldn't sustain 1200 for more than 3 days with my workouts. Plus, I like to eat food and not be hungry so a slower loss at a higher calorie range is fine for me. I lost most of my weight at 1500-1700 a day. As I got closer to goal I moved up to 1800, still saw a good loss and then got to goal and upped it again. I work out 5-6 days a week, mostly strength training with 3 days heavy lifting and 3 days short cardio (less than 20 min) with higher rep resistance training done in supersets and complexes for interval style cardio kicks. If I'm in the gym for more than 60 min, I've done too much.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2. I've been trying to stick to 1200 calories and have only lost 15 pounds.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 44 years old, and have something like 80 more pounds to lose. I generally eat between 1200-1500 calories a day, depending on my activity level and how hungry I am and what I have going on that day. I strength train 30 minutes 3x a week and try to get at least 30 minutes of cardio 6x a week. Doing that I can lose, but if I try to eat more than that I stall out quickly.
  • Three4MeNHim
    Options
    I'm 5' tall and started out at 154 and am now 138. (my ticker is wrong, it won't update) And still going. I eat 1650 calories a day and I'm pretty consistent during the week and usually go over my calories by a fair amount on the weekends. I'm losing slowly but still losing. If I stayed within my calorie limit on the weekend I'm sure I'd be losing 1-2 lbs EACH week.
    I run for 30 mins 3 times a week and try and fit strength training in 3 times a week but usually only get it in twice. I have 3 kids and run a daycare so I'm pretty active.

If I only ate 1200 calories everyday I'm sure I would lose weight just fine. But there is NO way I would be able to maintain that long term, I love food. This way I'm eating lots and still losing and it's coming off slow enough that I know I'll be able to maintain it long term.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 yrs old and 4'11". MY RMR is 1240. I cycle daily 8-10 miles. I usually net between 1300-1400 calories on those days. I lift weights 3xs weekly. On the days I cycle and lift weights, I net about 1500 cals.

I can't say much about weight loss that is event driven. Except that it doesn't stay off.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    4' 10 1/2" and I eat 1430 to lose weight. Based on my weightloss results I would guess my TDEE is around 1800 without exercise. As long as you are logging accurately and honestly and weighing your food, there's no reason to be eating so little.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Question for the original poster to think about: is your goal to weigh 110 or is it actually to nudge your body composition toward looking better to your eyes, eg. looking more toned and lean?

I myself am 5'3" and with the height and weights you are talking about, I am guessing that you actually want to look leaner -- in which case the answer is "Eat and lift!" I could be totally wrong. Just putting it out there.....good luck with meeting your goal. When it's that little weight (or that close to body composition goal), good Lord, but it's tough.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    PS. I lift 3x per week and eat around 1800-2000 per day. The scale has only moved a few lbs, but I have lost inches and am getting some nice shoulders and arms (to say nothing of my backside).
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 2, 140 pounds, and plateaued there at the moment. I was eating 1200 plus eating back my exercise calories, and when I got stuck I upped it to 1500. Same thing. I went off birth control pills recently and my hormones are fluxing, so I think that might be part of it. I do C25K and JMBR as my exercise.
  • crazebeck
    crazebeck Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and are 1200 calories for a few months plus my exercise calories I earned. I have now bumped it up to 1300 calories, add I plateaued and that has helped me lose 1lb a week again.

I am very active daily and do tae kwon do twice a week and gym about 2 to 3 times a week.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 149 started at 190. I eat 1700-1900 cals that includes my exercise. I run usually min 9 miles a week and do some work out DVD. ..usually 5 days of exercise. ..been stuck lately due to high levels of stress an looking for a way to lift an tone better. I really need to lose 10 more
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    I too have found the more fit I get, the more I have to eat. it is the eat more to loose more way :-)
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and shoot to eat an average of 1200 a day. I started out at about 117 - I am currently about 111. I'd like to get back to the 107 I was at when I got pregnant (I am a little over seven weeks postpartum now).

For right now I am doing this primarily on diet - I am mostly sedentary and don't "exercise" per se. I do go on hour long hikes a couple times a week and do some walking when the weather cooperates, but because it is irregular, I do not count it towards my activity level.

I don't want to jinx it, but it seems that 1200 is working well for me. We'll see how well these final four pounds come off (and stay off), though.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    5' even, 39 years old. I have my calorie goal set at 1390 per day and eat between that and about 1800 depending on how much I exercise and how many calories it takes to get all of my protein in. I've lost 17 pounds and 5 inches off my waste since Easter.

Don't sweat the number on the scale. You have very little to lose, and it may make more sense to take your measurements regularly and make sure your work outs include some strength training. If you lose inches, who cares what the scale says?
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Using that ^ site as a tool, if you NET 1400 calories every day for the next 5 months, you should lose 10 lbs. So always eat that much, and if you exercise, eat back the exercise calories.